JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I wouldnt turn my nose up at a nice old Winny, but I would also be quite happy with a Ruger M77 or a purpose built Daumoline Mauser 98 in any flavor that the bolt face can handle! I did pick up 3 Daumoline's for future projects, and they are still available and inexpensive, for now! Matched up to one of the nice Boyds stocks, and you have an awesome set up to work with in any flavor your heart desires!:D:D:D
great something else to look at...

You didn't mention what you want to use it for...and how many rounds you plan to shoot, if you're worried about barrel life. I've spent a lifetime shooting flat shooting smokers and have yet to burn out a barrel. My favorite deer rifle is a Tikka .270 WSM @ 3000fps.

You didn't mention what you want to use it for...and how many rounds you plan to shoot, if you're worried about barrel life. I've spent a lifetime shooting flat shooting smokers and have yet to burn out a barrel. My favorite deer rifle is a Tikka .270 WSM @ 3000fps.
That's good to hear about your experience with barrels. But you bring up an issue, a small one but non the less.. I'm leaning more towards target shooting (probably a lot of rounds, about 33-40 per day, 1-4 "days" per month during summer on average) as I have a hunting license for bow on deer and elk 'this year' but considering rifle for bear so I'd have to work up a killer' 270 load for that at some point. I like to have options with this gun. Mostly I want to shoot small groups at 100-500 yards with the option to shoot long distance and hunt. I'm actually thinking 2 main favorite loads for this gun, one with the 110amax or 90varminters and one with Bergers 140VLD or 130VLD for longer range target. If I AI'ed I'd look into 150gr with the same gun, probably NLRAB or Berger VLD or something from cutting edge bullets. So when you shoot do you feel your barrel to see how hot it is? Or do you just put 20 rounds down the barrel?

Last Edited:
That's good to hear about your experience with barrels. But you bring up an issue, a small one but non the less.. I'm leaning more towards target shooting (probably a lot of rounds, about 33-40 per day, 1-4 "days" per month during summer on average) as I have a hunting license for bow on deer and elk 'this year' but considering rifle for bear so I'd have to work up a killer' 270 load for that at some point. I like to have options with this gun. Mostly I want to shoot small groups at 100-500 yards with the option to shoot long distance and hunt. I'm actually thinking 2 main favorite loads for this gun, one with the 110amax or 90varminters and one with Bergers 140VLD or 130VLD for longer range target. If I AI'ed I'd look into 150gr with the same gun, probably NLRAB or Berger VLD or this other brand I cant think of, not matrix but this other that has a band that goes around the bullet, anyway theirs looks good too. So when you shoot do you feel your barrel to see how hot it is? Or do you just put 20 rounds down the barrel?

To make things even more complicated... a 6.5x55 pushing a 140 grain bullet will kill any game in North America, has a flat trajectory, and is also an outstanding target cartridge - only barely exceeded by the 6.5 CM for target shooting and that's become debatable. The 6.5x55 ballistics for the 140 grain bullet are better than the CM, and you can still get it in the inexpensive and excellent Tikka. I don't know how the 270 and 280 variants place in the target shooting ranks, but the 30-06 is still very well respected.

To make things even more complicated... a 6.5x55 pushing a 140 grain bullet will kill any game in North America, has a flat trajectory, and is also an outstanding target cartridge - only barely exceeded by the 6.5 CM for target shooting and that's become debatable. The 6.5x55 ballistics for the 140 grain bullet are better than the CM, and you can still get it in the inexpensive and excellent Tikka. I don't know how the 270 and 280 variants place in the target shooting ranks, but the 30-06 is still very well respected.
There's bee plenty of 270s in competition that hold their own. The main drawback I think is reported' barrel life, until last few years high bc heavy for cal bullets were limited (not now), and it kicks more then the 6.5s. I've never fired a 6.5 but my 270 blows my shoulder back enough to where I'd get upset with it after a day shooting (not hurt but irritating for follow through concentration because when I do it right for a split second it feels like it's coming back and hitting me). I'll have to look into the 6.5X55 a bit more because it seems to have a lot of the qualities I like in the 270 and in some cases even pronounced. So if some one had one of those, theres a bit more of a reason to AI your 270 win. Plus back to the 280/270 thing, the cases look identical to the untrained eye so I have no idea why AI to one is more popular then AI to the other. I'm going to do it, and now that I know what is needed (thank you again GooseBrown -shoutout as they say) it's only a matter of time lol

And that right there is why I'm such a fan of the 6.5X55, it's such a versatile cartridge with a stunning amount of bullets available for it, and the performance is simply unbeatable! Now imagine blowing one out to A.I. specs, and really smokin ballstics that go with it and you have an unbeatble rifle and load! I'm ordering up a Tikka T3X SuperVarmint in the fast twist 6.5X55 Swede to pretty much supplant my other rifles, and make for a 4 gun battery that can handle every situation I have, the other 3 I already have dialed in, it's this last one that completes the package and takes the game to a whole different level!

And that right there is why I'm such a fan of the 6.5X55, it's such a versatile cartridge with a stunning amount of bullets available for it, and the performance is simply unbeatable! Now imagine blowing one out to A.I. specs, and really smokin ballstics that go with it and you have an unbeatble rifle and load! I'm ordering up a Tikka T3X SuperVarmint in the fast twist 6.5X55 Swede to pretty much supplant my other rifles, and make for a 4 gun battery that can handle every situation I have, the other 3 I already have dialed in, it's this last one that completes the package and takes the game to a whole different level!
Barrel length?

Barrel length?
Normal lengths are 24" for Tikka, but a 29" is the old standard! The new fast twists get you to a shorter 22" with out loosing any thing, and that's right there where it needs to be!
I have a T-3 Super Varmint in .30/06 that is stunningly accurate, and that's the reason to do it in the 6.5 in the same platform, essentially a TRG with out all the extra tactical stuff you wouldn't ever need in a hunting rifle!

The 6.5 CM is the flavor du jour for 6.5's these days, but I still prefer the 6.5x55 even though it requires a long action. The long action allows you to set the big bullets out further than the CM so you get more power there. The efficient CM will give you more velocity out of the smaller bullets because this doesn't come into play. Me? I'll take that 6.5x55 Tikka.

I didn't know there was a 6.5x55 AI - here is a pretty good discussion: 6.5X55 and AI. Might be worth checking with Taku since I think he still has the 3 volume series by PO Ackley

I'm inclined towards the straight version, but that's only on odd days of the week...

I would love to rattle Taku's brain on this, I know he was pretty big into the A.I. and I know he would be willing to share!:D I honestly do miss the guy!
The one thing often overlooked on the 6.5X55 is the throat, and lead, it's quite generous, leaving plenty of chamber bearing surface for setting the bullets further out, and with the combo of the blown out case taper and pushed shoulder should really stretch the possibilities! Now imagine the smaller bullets set nice and far out in that chamber and all that wonderful powder sitting there to drive it hard, you have an almost perfect environment for efficiecy! While the potential dosnt really show it's true colors in the smaller bullets, it's the area under the curve where the magic really happens! :D

I would love to rattle Taku's brain on this, I know he was pretty big into the A.I. and I know he would be willing to share!:D I honestly do miss the guy!
The one thing often overlooked on the 6.5X55 is the throat, and lead, it's quite generous, leaving plenty of chamber bearing surface for setting the bullets further out, and with the combo of the blown out case taper and pushed shoulder should really stretch the possibilities! Now imagine the smaller bullets set nice and far out in that chamber and all that wonderful powder sitting there to drive it hard, you have an almost perfect environment for efficiecy! While the potential dosnt really show it's true colors in the smaller bullets, it's the area under the curve where the magic really happens! :D

That throat combined with the longer action is exactly why it pushes the 140 grain bullet so well compared to the SA 6.5's. I think you are right about it being very conducive to Ackley mods.

I think I could bribe Taku to a meal at the Wild Hare next time you are in the area.

And then there is always the stunning 6.5/06! While its a barrel burner, it's Smokin a lot of the upstarts and has a lot more left in it with a newer barrel and faster twist!

You know by the time we are done I will have 4 times more rifles than I planned and you will have a hand in 90% of them. It ain't fair! I'm tellin' you it ain't fair!

That throat combined with the longer action is exactly why it pushes the 140 grain bullet so well compared to the SA 6.5's. I think you are right about it being very conducive to Ackley mods.

I think I could bribe Taku to a meal at the Wild Hare next time you are in the area.

Now that sounds like a plan right there! :)

Just when marriage vows were about to be spoken at the 6.5CM wedding, along comes a spoiler :
6.5 PRC: Extending The Rifleman's Reach | Gun Digest

I'd be looking at two things: barrel erosion and how far out you can seat the bullet. My oldest brother had a 264 WM which shot crazy flat, but he didn't shoot it too much since they were prone to barrel erosion. That PRC looks very well designed. It will really be interesting to see how it pans out.

I'm personally still sticking with the 6.5x55 for its mild recoil, flat trajectory, and I can hunt everything in North America with one bullet.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top