JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Im part of the camp that doesn't support the micro compact pistols for ladies.
Harder to manipulate, sometimes the slide is harder to rack.. just not a lot of surface area for purchase and manipulation.
Also, Snub nosed revolvers require more practice to be proficient with anccuracy unless its belly to belly distance.
If she is going to carry it, I'd go as small as a compact unless she shoots a LCP2 or S&W bodyguard well.. those two are easy to manipulate and shoot well.
I wouldn't get her anything with a stout trigger or a stiff slide. I'd honestly have her go to the gun shop and pawn shop (simply to test) and manipulate said firearms.

I recommend the Ruger LC9S (now EC9S). They aren't terrible to shoot and it's 9MM. I purchased one for myself and one for my wife. She loves it. It's only slightly larger than a.380.

I have carried mine as a backup and concealed off duty for years and have never had a problem. Always reliable and accurate for a pocket gun. I probably have over 500 rounds through mine (probably more) and zero issues.

My wife cycled through a few different handguns and ended up liking the Ruger as much as I do. Her favorite pistol to shoot is a Gen 2 Glock 19, but it isn't the easiest thing for her to conceal in her purse.

A thing to consider is whether your wife likes (and feels comfortable) with what she gets. If she doesn't like it she probably won't carry it. This would defeat the purpose of having a firearm to defend herself.

Last Edited:
My wife and I teach a ladies specific self-defense series. One of the biggest mistakes we see are students showing up to class with a snub nosed revolver or subcompact semi-auto. They've generally been sold on tiny pistols by their husbands or sales people at the local gun counter. They're universally harder to manipulate and shoot. Great for experts needing something for deep concealed carry, but terrible for new shooters.

Most new shooters have great luck with compact 9mm pistols like the Glock 19 or M&P Compact. They're easier to shoot and still small enough for most people to carry concealed.

I'd suggest finding a local class or at least a range with some rental guns before making any purchase.

I agree with the comments that a micro-compact pistol is more difficult to manipulate and harder to be accurate with beyond close range, and I have about 3000 rounds of practice through a Ruger LCP Max...
I assume your wife will carry her firearm in a purse, I would suggest the smallest choice be a Sig P365, something similar, or larger like a Glock 19...
As always, the best scenario is that she actually shoot multiple firearms and make her own decision.

Personally I feel that questions like this are disingenuous, and are meant to drag out the same tired old conversations to no end. Believing that is why I wish I could/should restrict how I see NWFA to the classifieds only.

IMG_0458.jpeg

My wife started with a S&W M&P Shield .380 EZ and then eventually a Ruger LCP Max. I definitely don't recommend the Ruger LCP Max to anyone that's new to firearms though as they're hard to manipulate and not very fun to shoot (which inevitably leads to not training with it).

Last Edited:
So I'm in store for a new small but effective gun for my wife something to protect her and keep her safe in this crazy world we live in these days. Any suggestions?
One of the biggest mistakes I see new gun owners make is buying a gun someone told them would work for them. The other bigger mistake is buying a gun for the Wife and then coming home and handing it to her. Does she know how to shoot yet? If so she needs to come with you to look. If a range with rentals can be found that is best.
If she has not learned to shoot? That needs to come first. A LOT of women are handed a gun by some guy that scares them when they shoot it. This just makes it FAR harder for them to learn.

Don't write off the 380 acp in a small handgun. I love my Sig Sauer p238 and I'm a man with larger than average hands. 380 has much less recoil than 9mm. Women have small hands and fashionable clothing that makes concealing a gun more difficult. As long as she can grip the pistol comfortably and hit the target at seven yards, there is nothing wrong with a smaller gun especially in 380.

Take your wife to a range, rent all the guns, let her shoot to her heart's content, and then ask her what she wants. Whichever one she picks, that's the one you buy her. Owning a firearm is a personal choice, and one that she should be making.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top