JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So I just shot a buddy's Canik on Monday. Holy crap, I'm actually impressed. Kinda looks like a cross between a HK and a Staccato. It looks and shoots like a more expensive pistol; couldn't find anything not to like about it.

My first experience with a Turkish gun was the father in law's Kirikkale pistol, a clone of the Walther PP, that he'd brought back in the '50s (he was USAF stationed in Incerlik). Decent shooter, but with all of the cons of the Walther and none of the pros (fit, finish, reliability)

Was on a det in Turkey late '90s, bunch of the guys and I visited a factory making shotguns, many for name manfacturers. Several guys bought some decent shotguns in the $300 range, smuggled 'em back in cruise boxes (at the time, we were on the honors system with Customs) and found out not only were they high-quality, but worth substantially more than they'd paid for them.

Bought a Tisas Stingray a while back. It has totally exceeded my expectations. The fit and finish is excellent, it's reliable and accurate. Actually a cool lookin' 1911. Would like to swap out the sights for some decent night sights (but I'm hearing that's a total PITA).

I find it interesting that the rumors that the "metallurgy of Turkish firearms is suspect" persist.

The major companies' manufacturing standards are fully ISO, CIP and NATO compliant. Tisas has been manufacturing firearms since 1993, and several credible folks from the U.S. firearms industry have visited and inspected its plant and processes, with positive reports. Don't know about Canik or SAR, but their products have gotten some good reviews by a lot of credible folks, too.

Everyone really seems to like the Canik striker fired pistols, which I believe are modeled on the Walther PPQ/PDP. One guy even told me it was the best handgun he owned.

The Tisas Raider is a nice copy of the M45. It has a forged steel frame and so forth.

I wouldn't buy a Turkish Benelli clone.

I am not interested in buying any firearm just because it is inexpensive, but I do look for value. I think multiple Turkish weapons appear to be a good firearms at a price which I would purchase.
There is a custom firearm company that specializes in 1911's called Chambers Customs owned by Joe Chambers and he puts out some interesting videos where he disassembles handguns by different manufacturers and takes precise measurements of the tolerances. Because in the end it is these tolerances that help determine the functionality and accuracy of a firearm; as he likes to say "math matters"...
He has videos of 1911's being measured from $500 to many thousands. If I were buying another 1911, I would consider a Rock Island Armory.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bk4T7V7JnN8

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads