JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
^^^exactly^^^ and don't forget that nice long case neck, there's a pretty healthy amount of additional room under a 140 gr bullet, even blown out to A.I. or Weatherby shoulder!:D:D:D Me things some Lapua brass needs to find it's way to Ura-Ki's loading bench, and a nice set of Readding dies to go along with it!

The origional Mauser 96s were really the only actions sized speciffically to the Swede, but when the 98s were made, the real potential of the Swede was seen in that longer action with a much stronger receiver and generous bolt dimensions, and then the Carl Gustavs really stretched things, which at the time, were unbeatable! And all that goodness combined with today's better barrels, bullets, and powders really pushes the Swede into uncharted waters!

Hey, I could use some "catching up" too brother. :D:D
Don't you worry my friend, I'm working on a pair of Winny 54s that would make outstanding hunting rifles in the right hands, and Bear tempted me with a M98 that may have to find it's way out to Velzeys for a barrel and some bolt tuning and a fine set of irons:D I also found a smokin deal on a scope mount for a M70 that can adapt to both actions with out much work, would make for a super nice rough conditions mountain rifle set up!

Personally, I would not be inclined to mess with the 270 but sounds like an interesting endeavor. I love my kimber in 280 ai. It has done everything I have asked of it on deer and elk and my other rifles seem to have taken back up roles. 30 yrs ago I rebarreled a win mod 70 in 280 to 280 ai. It was a great round but tired of the fireforming brass and the rifle was quite picky about loads. Fast forward to a few years back when kimber introduced the caliber and nosler starting making factory ammo and brass. I knew I would own another 280 ai and it was love at first shot, resulting in the mule deer in my avatar at 413 yds.

There was a mention of recoil, and there is a simple answer, for your favorite shooter.. AI or regular. Thread the barrel and put on a suppressor. That will open a whole new world to you. Improves accuracy (on my several ), no more muffs, knocks down recoil like a break, and what you're shooting at doesn't know where the sonic boom came from.

There was a mention of recoil, and there is a simple answer, for your favorite shooter.. AI or regular. Thread the barrel and put on a suppressor. That will open a whole new world to you. Improves accuracy (on my several ), no more muffs, knocks down recoil like a break, and what you're shooting at doesn't know where the sonic boom came from.
I didn't even consider that, that might actually be more up my alley in the short term. I looked into that for my step dads 308 a while back and couldn't find the cost of a suppressor but the threading was about 300 I think. Probably equal cost between going AI and getting a quality suppressor installed. The more I read the more I want the AI though.

Trust me, a suppessor takes things up a few more notches, besides the noise benefits, the supressors dampen the barrel harmonics better then any current technology, and the accuracy gains can be pretty impressive, especially when you allready have an accurate rifle! Recoil reduction is pretty good too! The most impressive results I have seen was on a SAKO TRG, that rifle was finicky before the suppressor was installed, after wards it would print Remington factory CorLoked 180 gr into 1/2" at 100 yards, and the really good stuff went even tighter! Another thing I noticed was the suppressor seemed to draw heat out of the barrel, allowing a longer string before the heatwould open up the groups!

That Savage 110 With the new Accu stock looks to be a serious rifle, and kowing how they shoot, it's going to be a real gem in the fields. That. 280 blown to A.I. would be smokin, might change my mind about things in that category! I have always wanted to love the 7mm Rem Mag, but just couldn't with the .270 being as good as it is, and if I ever needed more, there was always the. 30/06. And I honestly never saw any benefits in the .300 win mag, so, I'm kind of stuck in between! Then there is the 6.5 MM, which is also quite capable of the same mission, and better external ballistics, so many choices dammit! Lol:D

Get one of all of them! :D

I looked at buying a Savage in the '80s... it was a brick. Guess they've come a long way??

couldn't find the cost of a suppressor but the threading was about 300 I think

Whoa, my smith will thread Ruger M77 .308 for $150 including 5/8 adapter.

Get one of all of them! :D

I looked at buying a Savage in the '80s... it was a brick. Guess they've come a long way??

Whoa, my smith will thread Ruger M77 .308 for $150 including 5/8 adapter.
In La Grande? I'm in an ugly custody battle (should win next year(fingers crossed)) and have to travel there often for court and seeing my little one...

Your account says that you're in la grande... I just assumed that your gunsmith was in La Grande... I've seen a couple shops there, one by the Bi-mart and one over by Walmart back behind some other buildings. I lived there a long time ago.

Yup, yours reads Hillsboro so I was confused.

Jim Rector... owns Jims Welding near Island City but now does only gunsmithing. I've used him for a long time. Known him since 1980, good fishing and bird hunting aquaintance.

Yup, yours reads Hillsboro so I was confused.

Jim Rector... owns Jims Welding near Island City but now does only gunsmithing. I've used him for a long time. Known him since 1980, good fishing and bird hunting aquaintance.
Ok, thanks. I think My step dad is an acquaintance if it's who I'm thinking of.

Ackley himself tried the .270Win and decided the increase wasn't enough to warrant the work involved. But his minimum standard for improvement was something like 12% gain in velocity, and the .270W only netted about 8%.

However,... I have a friend with one on a factory 24" Rem 700 barrel that swears it's the best thing he's ever done.
Cases last longer, he found just the right load with hardly any time invested, and it shoots 150gr bullets at the same velocity the standard .270 shoots 130s.
He has no trouble getting 3050-3100 fps out of Sierra 150gr SPBTs and they group at about .5 MOA all the way out to 500yds.
His only complaint was having to upgrade the glass on the rifle to really take advantage of the chambering upgrade.
He went from a 3-9x up to a 4-14x IIRC.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads