JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Generally a single six with the first two rounds loaded with snake shot. Already killed one rattler this spring on the property.

The next 4 rounds are cci mini mags; good enough to piss off a two legged critter before I run ;)

Meant to reference this quote when I replied above...

What kinds of "woods" venture are you going on?

When I go hiking I plan on going deep and carrying a rifle sounds miserable unless I'm hunting.

I carry a Glock 20 10mm.

If I felt I needed more protection I would choose a new place to go

Usually all I have is the Glock G29 with an X-Grip and a G20 mag inserted with 15 rounds of 190gr hardcast. Where I hike and fish and search for mushrooms, there are lots of black bears, cougars, wolves, and some white trash types. There was once a group of terrorists, but that's a long story...

I built the 1894 as a camp carbine and Jeep rifle. Why not have something with more oomph and a light handy in camp? Then I found that I liked having a long gun with me while on foot every now and then and the 1894 was HEAVY. So, I built the AR in .450 Bushmaster.

In reality, a S&W 686+ and some extra shells in my pocket is likely all I'd ever need in the woods, but then if I accepted reality, I wouldn't have so many guns. Where's the fun in that??

I have a GP100 in 357, but I don't shoot a revolver as well as I would like. So I carry my usual EDC, an HK45c. I shoot it much better than the revolver and I figure that matters most.

2uhvdw9.jpg

If you're carrying a long gun, why not opt for a side folding AK? Shooting a .30 cal round, 30 rounds. Just don't add anything to it so it doesn't get too heavy depending on how far you're hiking lol still pretty new to AKs as far as knowing what kinds of do-dads are out there for it, but maybe a side folding AK pistol would be handy? If that even exists.

If you're carrying a long gun, why not opt for a side folding AK? Shooting a .30 cal round, 30 rounds. Just don't add anything to it so it doesn't get too heavy depending on how far you're hiking lol still pretty new to AKs as far as knowing what kinds of do-dads are out there for it, but maybe a side folding AK pistol would be handy? If that even exists.

My wood's gun is for cougars, bears, feral dogs and feral human trespassers. For the humans, the purpose is primarily to convince them to leave, but if they insist it will be used at close range. If used near my home (instead of the back acreage where humans may think my timber is free) I don't want stray projectiles to go off towards my neighbor's houses or towards the road - so a shotgun with buckshot is less likely to make it thru the trees/etc. to hit an innocent human, and once outside 50 yards they cease to be a likely threat.

In short, for humans, a short barreled 12 ga pump shotgun does have a bit of an intimidation factor. For other animals it is generally effective.

Also, when it is in its sheath, it doesn't scream "mass shooter on the rampage" and is easier to carry out of sight - although a handgun is better yet in that respect - but if I am going to the back acreage to ask someone to leave my timber alone, a shotgun carried at one side probably has more convincing power without being pointed than a handgun in a holster.

Was getting ready to go for a hike just now and was considering my choices for a firearm to bring with me.

Thought it would be fun to gather all of my firearms whose main purpose is for self defense in the woods and take a picture.

Actually, the EP-9 really wasn't bought for that purpose, but more to prove a point that it's not considered an assault rifle, but my grandpa's 1939 Remington Speedmaster .22 short is.

But I guess it could make for a nice handy weapon against cougars and wolves and tweakers.

The AR is a PSA lower with Magpul furniture and an AR Stoner upper in .450 Bushmaster.

Lever gun is a Remlin 1894 in .45 Colt. The revolver is a Ruger Super Blackhawk Bisley in .45 Colt with the 5.5" barrel.

Glock is the G29 10mm with a KKM Precision 4.5 Barrel.

Today I'll bring the Glock and the AR...

View attachment 575390
686+7 3" Stainless 357. Also Marlin 1894 357 mag!

Sidefolding AK you say? 4966D367-798D-4B9D-BE49-FE2D450B5543.jpeg
Prefer my 106, but .223 is enough for everything down here. 3DB3D4CF-D5CC-4DAC-BC73-0B484B0056F5.jpeg
There's also my FAL but the AK is shorter.

Also, there are folding braces for ak pistols. Just gotta drill into the trunnion, but be careful as dracos are known for breaking drillbits.

I wont speak for Texas' accepted methods of hog hunting, but,

I know .22 mag rimfires are popular for hogs, and even required in some places at certain times of the year, and I know a well placed shot can put anything down. But as this video shows, this round did not kill this hog, and the hog laid in the wallow to bleed out and drown. And I guess I wasn't too keen on taking this shot on a hog when the dogs were right behind it.

I wont speak for Texas' accepted methods of hog hunting, but,

I know .22 mag rimfires are popular for hogs, and even required in some places at certain times of the year, and I know a well placed shot can put anything down. But as this video shows, this round did not kill this hog, and the hog laid in the wallow to bleed out and drown. And I guess I wasn't too keen on taking this shot on a hog when the dogs were right behind it.
From the author of this video:
"You've never killed a hog have you? If he would have been still he would have been alive. They're body does that when you kill them. Same thing with deer, rabbits, racoons, opossums"

I have to re-think my woods guns since I leave the deep woods hiking to the younger folks. I cleaned out my safe so that was bye bye to my HD 45LCs, 44 Mags and 45/70, Arthritis issues! Now my carry guns are 9mm, 124gr Speer Gold Dots for most times and 148gr Outdoorsman from Buffalo Bore for serious country. I do have a 4" GP100 that is Minute of Rattlesnake accurate at 15 yards but don't carry it much any more. For long guns a Mini 14 or Ruger GSR will have to do.

From the author of this video:
"You've never killed a hog have you? If he would have been still he would have been alive. They're body does that when you kill them. Same thing with deer, rabbits, racoons, opossums"

I read that too. I've killed a lot of animals, and there's a difference between a death twitch and a breathing animal that's still trying to get up.

I'll have to take his word for it.

I'm unfamiliar with any actual experience with hog hunting.
Also surprised that 22 mag would be a required caliber. Comments/discussion from those with such first hand information?

My woods/hiking/mountain biking/snowshoeing/xc skiing gun of choice is a short-barrel corrosion-resistant .357 revolver loaded with .357 158 grain JSP. For years, one of my 2.25" stainless SP-101 filled that role and I have recently switched to a Taurus Protector Poly for the weight savings. I always carry concealed so that I don't alarm the populace.

Not that different here. 2.25" 686 but it is fed with heavy cast loads along with a couple of speed loaders. If I am going to the woods in the city it is most likely a 1911.

Back to what I perceive the intent of the OP topic to be...

When I say a revolver and or carbine, .357, .44, .45, .30-30, it can be further whittled by the time of year. If I'm actively deer hunting, a .44 and/or .30-30 would be my better choice. If it's deer season and I'm not primarily hunting, as in I might be fishing but would shoot a deer if the opportunity presented itself, then a .357 or .44 could be my choice. If I'm in the woods but am not actively hunting in any way, then a .357 or .45 could be a good choice.

And if I had a 10mm pistol that fit me, and could be trusted, I'm kind've thinking it could be the one pistol cartridge to replace them all.

Last Edited:
Sidefolding AK you say?View attachment 575705
Prefer my 106, but .223 is enough for everything down here.View attachment 575706
There's also my FAL but the AK is shorter.

Also, there are folding braces for ak pistols. Just gotta drill into the trunnion, but be careful as dracos are known for breaking drillbits.
Nice! I think side folding AKs are the way to go! But are there side folding AK pistol braces?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top