JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Been known to carry a large revolver. 8 shot .357 Ruger revolver in a chest holster. Usually a 9mm as well. sometimes a bond arms derringer with two rounds of .410.

So you go hiking with a AK-47 .
AR15 M14 .
12 GAGE SHOT GUN .
I DON'T THINK IM WRONG.

No. I go hiking with the same weapons that I already posted about in post #52. I use those weapons for a number of reasons but primarily because they are effective within their limitations; they leave my hands free to grasp my hiking staff and I get to tell my wife, "See? They are not a waste of money. I use them."

I don't have a current photo, but a Remington 600 in trusty .308. Sports a steel vent rib ( because I like it )
Uses Magpul hunter shortaction trigger housing and uses Magpul mags...

AD48810A-2F53-4863-A019-8B69AA46A1E4.jpeg

Are your hands large, small, or what is your challenge in finding a 10mm that fits?

I have large meaty hands with short fingers. There's not a double stack Glock that could ever fit me. The Sig 220 Elite doesn't fit me. The 1911 fits perfectly.

I just bought a 226 with the E2 grip. Much better than the standard P226 grip.

Last Edited:
I have large meaty hands with short fingers. There's not a double stack Glock that could ever fit me. The Sig 220 Elite doesn't fit me. The 1911 fits perfectly.

I just bought a 226 with the E2 grip, and although it's better, it's still not quite right. My hand still needs to crawl around enough to get my finger on the trigger properly.

I have a palm that is wider than it is long and fingers that are fairly short for how big my palm is. Have you handled a glock 40 and tried all the different inserts for the grip? Mine with the beavertail insert fits me very well.

I don't have a current photo, but a Remington 600 in trusty .308. Sports a steel vent rib ( because I like it )
Uses Magpul hunter shortaction trigger housing and uses Magpul mags...

View attachment 576506
I had a 600 in .35 Rem, traded it for a late 700 series copy in .308! It's the schnizit with its slightly longer barrel and Williams Ghost Ring rear sight! Now it's a 03 Springer, cause it's Kool as hell!

My grand Dad packed a Garand all over Europe during his year and a half "Vacation", and he would call any one a pussy who couldn't/wouldn't carry a full size hard hitting rifle in the woods! After all, he packed that Garand every single day and didn't once complain about having it! :D

I often carry my Glock 40MOS in a leather chest holster. I've carried my marlin 1894 in 357 a fair amount. Used to carry a gp100 in a belt holster but it's a blued 6" barrel and it mostly sits in the safe now. When I was a kid, I packed a browning bl22 a lot. I've been thinking about getting a PMR ever since they came out but still haven't.

I had a 600 in .35 Rem, traded it for a late 700 series copy in .308! It's the schnizit with its slightly longer barrel and Williams Ghost Ring rear sight! Now it's a 03 Springer, cause it's Kool as hell!

My grand Dad packed a Garand all over Europe during his year and a half "Vacation", and he would call any one a pussy who couldn't/wouldn't carry a full size hard hitting rifle in the woods! After all, he packed that Garand every single day and didn't once complain about having it! :D

I still haven't seen a picture of the finished product... :D

Generally a single six with the first two rounds loaded with snake shot. Already killed one rattler this spring on the property.

The next 4 rounds are cci mini mags; good enough to piss off a two legged critter before I run ;)

I have often wondered how those .22 snake shot loads work on a real rattler.. never had cause to use them BUT they seem a bit puny to me. .22MAGS, maybe? Where I live here in southern Colorado we do get prairie rattlers which don't seem too aggressive, and larger diamondbacks have been moving in as the climate warms up, have had to :eek:"re-home" a few.. When I am concerned about it I carry either a hefty Redhawk .44, or a .357, either with snake shot.
I have heard that the rattlers in the PNW are large and ornery and devastating when they strike... so just wondered how that .22 handles the job? thx Dun

I have often wondered how those .22 snake shot loads work on a real rattler.. never had cause to use them BUT they seem a bit puny to me. .22MAGS, maybe? Where I live here in southern Colorado we do get prairie rattlers which don't seem too aggressive, and larger diamondbacks have been moving in as the climate warms up, have had to :eek:"re-home" a few.. When I am concerned about it I carry either a hefty Redhawk .44, or a .357, either with snake shot.
I have heard that the rattlers in the PNW are large and ornery and devastating when they strike... so just wondered how that .22 handles the job? thx Dun

You need to hit them in the head from close in, but they do the job. The rattlers up here don't get too big. Most are under 3ft and are not generally considered lethal.

I like to spend time in the hills around here, some of which can be fairly remote if your vehicle breaks down:confused:.. Since we cannot hoof it in the hills like we once did, I can carry my main gear in the machine... For walkabout it's gonna be POSSIBLY one of my retired duty shotguns, with buck and slug, (concerned mainly with ornery bears and overly curious flatlanders).. OR a .44mag levergun which can pack a wallop within 100 yds.. or serve as a ad hoc shottie for say, bunnies and grouse.
A few years back I rebuilt a MAK90 AK, liking the chromed bore and alleged durability of the milled receiver. Put on Ironwood stocks in the Russian red cuz I like it. It is a Bad-Rump carbine and shoots well but weighs like a boat anchor when walking far. Decent camp rifle when concerned about bears- wish I could find some 20 round mags. Inspired by some weapons Hadji was packing when the old Soviet Union got pay-backs for VN...
More and more tho a Colt m4 seems to make it into my vehicle- got it precisely because of it's weight, easy carry, firepower. Dunno how it would deal with an angry hungry bear even with 30 69gr fmj, but we could sure give it a go.
Most times a pistol seems plenty and it might be a Glock21 or a Redhawk, or a .357....

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top