JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The Canucks are getting their azzes kicked by the fires up around Fort McMurray. Check out some of the videos, this is when you lose all your preps and get away with what you can throw in the pickup.

http://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/

Gives you a lot of thought on 72 hour portable preps and defense.

Check out a bunch of the videos, most compelling is the one where the reporter is outside a gas station with lines of cars waiting to get gas, tents, people just hanging out, stores sold out of food.

I did some pretty extensive online research on that area for a work project several years ago and was just amazed about the heavy fuel loads in the boreal / prairie interface. The flames shooting up a hundred feet in the air on the videos and people trying to figure out how the hell to get out of there.

If you live in a fire prone area, with heavy fuel loads, this is a great way to see what the potential is. The entire community of Beacon Hill was wiped out. These areas are a lot like Bend / Redmond and Yakima areas.

Bend has almost burned several times. I remember as a kid having friends stay with us because the evacuated. Sweet Home doesn't seem to have that issue...

There has to be layers to any sort of prepping. Ideally, it's bug in to survive whatever sort of catastrophe had befallen you, but sometimes fate has another plan.

Bad, bad fire! I hear they're evacuating a 60,000+ population city! The videos look like a chunk of hell was dropped in Alberta! Good luck to them!

Still, Id rather be armed to the teeth in a situation like that.

Houses around here aren't real close together so fire is a minor worry. Keep dust and lint out of places they shouldn't be and keep the co detector and smoke alarms batteries replaced and that's aboot all I can do here.

Whaaitaminte....where are all the cammo folks with AR15s and cool tactical gear fighting off roving hoards of zombies?

The roving hoards of zombies could have very well have been the guys stranded without gas taking advantage of other folks in the area. Luckily this happened to probably a very decent, tight-nit community where people looked out for each other...

If a crisis like this would have happened in a place like Chicago or Detroit- good luck buddy!

Air evacuations are now occurring, this means that cars and possessions will be abandoned at small airports region wide. estimated 90,000 on the move.
Still 6,000 stranded north of the city Ft McMuary, no fuel for evacuees, fuel on the way, residents must drive through city. 88,000 hectares burning, city suburbs is a burning waste land.
http://www.emergencyalert.alberta.ca/alerts/2016/05/3714.html
this site seems to be at least 40 hrs behind events
http://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/video?playlistId=1.2888764

Last Edited:
A wise friend advised me several decades ago, "It costs the same to drive off of the top 1/4 of a tank as it does to drive off of the bottom 1/4 of a tank."

Unless doing a long trip, I try to use that top 1/4 and to refill often-er than I "need" to.

There's no "heads up" memo coming that the mountain's gonna blow up tomorrow morning, or earthquake going to wreck I-5 (worse than it already is). Or that some incredible fire will take over the town of "ItCan'tHappenHere" USA. ;)

I was looking at a nifty little 2-person tent at Cabela's today. Maybe that's not so much of an extravagance as it seemed.

So what's the answer? Have a storage unit in the next county,hoping a fire won't cover both places? A shipping container burried a few feet under ground? (Or just a root cellar)

We have a nice, light three man! It's a good rain tent.

We also have a nine man tent in the garage if we have to leave the house but remain nearby.

You know my Grandma and her 9 siblings thought the world was ending by 1935, in Goodwell, Oklahoma. But it passed. Their parents thought the world was ending when they lost 'the war of northern aggression', but it passed. Their parents thought they would never see another generation after The Trail of Tears, but we're still here. Some 400 years ago, one of my ancestors seeking freedom from tyranny set sail across the Atlantic, and landed in Jamestown. They persevered.

I think we get panicked when we've forgotten where we've come from and what we've come through, that we can survive what seems like, in the moment, Armageddon; modern life does that to us. But we survive. We have endeavored to persevere, and will always have that ability to do so even if we might forget.

Count your blessings.

We're talking about short-term disasters here, though, not End Of World stuff. Some folks have perished because they were not mentally or actually prepared to go without a trip to the grocery store every day, or the electricity working or the water coming on when the tap is turned.

Having a few days' worth of food, the means to stay warm and able see at night time, and to purify water from questionable sources without getting sick... these are not tinfoil hat concepts and are attainable for most people.

Anymore, here in the Puget Sound area, we can't even get to work on a typical day without a several-hours-long commute crawling along at 15 MPH. Look at what losing the Seattle viaduct has done this week!

A mass bugout would create impassible gridlock. I'd love to have the buried shipping container waiting in eastern Washington, whose stairs are hidden by a phony pump station shack, but getting there from here in an actual crisis? Better have an airplane in your back yard 'cause you ain't gonna be driving there!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top