JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just wanted to ask i hypothetical question.

I consider myself a wanna-be prepper .
My main problem is i am broke, my wife and i work full time seemingly just to pay the bills.
If my plan in a SHTF scenario was to crash my (spare) pickup threw the front of a sporting goods store (assuming it hasn't already been done) and stock pile firearms and ammunition and GTF outta there what are my odds of survival?
Is this a crazy idea?
I have food, water, and a BOL where i can live off the stream and wildlife.
I reload and have my fair share of firearms, but ammunition is running out and like i said before too poor to buy preps.
Is it only the wealthy survive or is there a better way to carry out my hypothetical plan?
My mind set for SHTF is if its you, or my family you will probably die.

Open discussion if you think I'm a moron please let me know! because this is the only thing i can think of in this situation and i never thought i could be the bad guy, but I'm not going to take 150 rnds of ammunition to my permanent bug out location.

I think under certain circumstances food and water are excused in the law if you are in dire straights.

Guns are not under that category.

That said if I was unarmed and no way to protect my family I would end up taking the risk to take only what I needed.
A gun and ammo for it nothing else.

I'm talking about no laws no rules being invaded circumstances. I have firearms with minimal ammunition, but it would be nice to have 5+ cans of 556 and an AR for each member of my party.
It would be survival mode, Im curious how other people who don't have spending money plan to get the materials they need in a SHTF scenario

If my plan in a SHTF scenario was to crash my (spare) pickup threw the front of a sporting goods store (assuming it hasn't already been done) and stock pile firearms and ammunition and GTF outta there what are my odds of survival?
Is this a crazy idea?

It's interesting how many folks have exactly the same plan for when the SHTF. The problem I see is that for each gun store/sporting goods store, it is quite possible that 100 to 1,000 or more people will show up immediately after the SHTF. Each of these people believe that the welfare of their families depends on them getting what they need from the store. If someone else is in their way, this is a threat to their families. Many of these people will be armed with firearms or other weapons. I wouldn't want to be part of this mess and if I was and something happened to me, my family would suffer for it.

Trailboss Thanks for the reality check.
100% truth. It just depends on my options at that exact moment i guess.
Hopefully i can get some of our medical bills and bubblegum paid off before anything catostrophic happens so we can prep like everybody else.

I would think that if we really had a major event where there was no real law or order, the sporting goods stores and gun shops would be the first places looted so unless you are able to get out and and get what you need right away, your not going to find what you need.

.22 ammo is still cheap, have any .22's? A couple of good .22's with 4k of ammo will go a damn long way. We can and store our own meats, veggies and jams all the time, a little extra food and supply's when we can afford it, it's amazing how fast it adds up. Learn to rotate your stocks also. A man who goes broke buying weapons and ammo will starve quick. There are many posts here with lists regarding the basic food preparations for a shtf scenario, many can be had on a shoestring budget, if you watch how you spend.
Stay "tight" between the ears and start with a goal of six months grub per person, heck if nothing ever happens and all ends well it's money in the bank anyway because you can be sure that 50 lbs of rice, beans whatever will be more the next time you go to grocery outlet or where ever to buy it next time.

Evaluate EXACTLY where and what you are spending your money on. Do you smoke? Cut back or quit. Do you drink Starbucks coffee? Cut back or quit. Do you drive your vehicle EVERYWHERE you go? Try walking/bicycling where practical. Do you have cable/satellite TV? Cancel it & watch broadcast TV instead. Do you run your thermostat at 70*F? Try turning it down to 65-67*F (wearing a sweater is free). Shut off all the lights not in use, reuse as many things as possible, buy "house brand" foods, buy cheaper cuts of meat and "turkey burger" instead of ground beef.

I've been where you're at my friend. It's not pleasant at all, and "robbing Peter to pay Paul" week after week, month after month, year after year... Uuugh. I picked up every spare job I could get my hands on.

Try not to resort on looting, it could be the shortest career run you've ever had. The suggestion on going the .22LR route is sage advice, hang in there... You can do it. :s0155:

These threads piss me off to no end, that store is someone's livelyhood, if you are so intent on pillaging, why don't you go try it tonight? or maybe tomorrow. While you're at it, why don't you burn down your neighbors house and steal all his yard tools and pawn them. It's this kind of bullsh*t entitlement mentality that is ruining america. There are choices that you made that have caused you to be in the situation you are in, the guy at the gunstore didn't cause your fiscal situation. But to address the original question:

Well lets see... Would you survive? Probably not, as it turns out we all die. Going and doing something like crashing your car through the front of a sporting goods store is one of those things that's going to attract a lot of unwanted attention.

Perhaps you havn't seen all the signs people usually hang up when the "s" comes to town. It usually reads something like "looters will be shot", and personally, if that sporting goods store was my neighbor, I wouldn't make any exceptions for your "dire straights". I defend my neighbors, and I expect my neighbors to do the same. Whats the difference between robbing a store and robbing a house? As I see it, no difference.

Martial Law in a time of SHTF= You would die as a looter...You sound like a victim at the scene of the crime waiting to happen...Get rid of all the needless chaff in Your life and get busy...Remember everything has value, and barter is a way to get what You need if money is a problem...I have been retired from the Military for 6 years now..I live on a very limited income. I have those items i deem necessary to survival, and I got 99% by barter...Look online for barter forums, determine the barter value of an item (ie X is worth 200 rounds of ammo, a pound of dried beans, rice etc.) and go from there...Cash is a dying commodity...Hard goods are worth more than the dollar these days....That would be a great place to start...Everything in My house has a beans and bullets value...and very few things are sacred when it comes to My survival...Good Luck

Make a budget every month. Start spending less than what you earn. Pay off all your debts. Listen to Dave Ramsey if you need help with the previous 3 items. After that, start prepping. In the meantime, you can probably stock up on some .22 LR.

You're not a moron. There have been good tips on how to cut back on spending to get you in a better financial situation, and that will improve your quality of life regardless of SHTF or not. In the event of an emergency, do you have friends/family out of state? In the Midwest or on the East Coast? I understand how people who have lived here all their lives would not easily leave home, but keep in mind that a local disaster is MUCH more likely than something affecting the entire US, so you primary preparation should go towards bugging in for a few weeks and getting out when there is a good opportunity.

Oh, and forget about obtaining giant amounts of ammo. If you find yourself in any kind kind of scenario that would require an individual to shoot hundreds or thousands of rounds...well, your chances of surviving long enough to use up all your ammo would be extremely slim, unless you are stocking ammo for a group of people.

snooopidydoo

I consider myself a wanna-be prepper .
My main problem is i am broke, my wife and i work full time seemingly just to pay the bills.

Well I cannot speak for most gun/sporting goods shops but at the one I work at part time, during a true SHTF would be emptied by the employees and the owner before you got there.

So unless you were living in the parking lot when the SHTF went down you would not stand a chance. Most SHTF’s do not happen instantly they happen over a day or two and the guy I work for would have armed employees moving it before anything real went down.

I live in Idaho and just so you know on a normal day 2/3rds of the employees and at least 1/2 the customers are armed. I also know several owners of some of the smaller shops in the area and they pack heat as well and would empty the place if they assumed anything was to go down.

With that out of the way I have to agree with the others you need to change a few things in your life to get the things you need. If you have a spare truck as you say to crash into the building then you have a spare truck that you could sell or barter with to get some of the things you need.

So to make this long story short (too late) it is a really bad Idea and you will most likely die on the first day of a SHTF!!!

I see these type of posts periodically on this forum, lets get some facts straight maybe a little mental apocolipical 101 is needed.

1. in a disaster odd are if you are looking for it man many others are as well.
2. ever watch riots when the cops center in on one guy drawing attention to himself, umm don't be that guy don't draw attention.
3. Guns make noise, people hear noise, people want the guns you have, people come and take what you have.
4. Is it worth getting to a populated area to loot ? Ask yourself is it worth going to a populated area to get robbed, or shot and maybe your family harmed.

The one thing you are not talking about and you should is your wife, ask any man who has served in the wars and ask him what happens to women in situations like that. Or better yet ask the police and national guard in disasters the animals people turn in to. Not trying to sound all scary, but getting a gun should be your last priority and getting your wife to safety is the first.
Besides that you and I know most gun dealers have government permits for nice things like full auto's and other explosive things your car bashing through won't protect you from a military grade armed gun shop owner.

Thanks for all the replies! I just wanted to make 1 thing clear to a couple people.
I am no thief i have never stolen in my life. I work hard for the state at the highway department, and my wife also works hard at a pharmeceutical company. She absolutely loves ambulences (not trying to make a charity story). For that reason we have cut back on everything, we make enough which i believe is above the average household income just to pay mortgage medical bills basic utilities and food for our kid. So no in any normal circumstances i am not a looter. It was an idea i needed a reality check with and you guys definitely gave me one! My plan would have been to leave her and my son in the attic with a 12G and 357, but if i never came home her chances of survival would be gone as well.
Last night after making this post i traded a few prized possessions to my dad for 2lbs of powder and busted out 300 30m1 and still have 1lb left, so I'm feeling a little better. I should just repost another thread with how to prep for cheap or free. because after this I'm pretty sure i will not be smashing my truck into a guns store lol.

If this is in fact true then you and your wife must be living WAY beyond your means plus carrying a lot of debt given the jobs you both have. Try doing all you describe on one income, without a wife and raising a daughter to the age of 18 - as I did.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top