JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think even if your broke, you may be off to a good start without even knowing it. If you camp, you already have alot of SHTF gear. Look around your house and garage. Alot of the time you can find alot of valuable stuff you already have but didnt think about. If you do a sweep around your house and grab anything that may be useful and get it orginized you may not need to think about crashing up the local stores.

My first prepping trip was spending $40 in the WINCO bulk food and canned meat section and vacuum sealing meals when I got home. I wound up with enough food (and good tasting food) to last me around 2 weeks without getting hungry. 5 gallon water jugs are cheap, plus your water heater has 30 gallons all ready for you.

If you research what foods last the longest and look up easy recipies that require barely anything but boiled water, you can make a little go a long way. I was very intimidated when I first started getting things together, but the more orginized I got and the more planning I did, the less I ended up spending.

I wholly agree with everyone on the .22. I have a few bad *** black rifles, but in a true SHTF situation, I think the .22 will be just as effective, especially in an urban enviroment where the longest shot will be sub 50 yards. Im not worried about killing deer and elk to survive. I want to shoot birds and rodents without vaporizing them. I would add a 12 gauge to the mix with bird and buck shot. Lots of water in the PNW, lots of waterfoul. Shotguns are cheap, and ammo is plentiful.

I think the most important part, (and it's free) get a plan on where to spent the first week or two, which in my opinion, will be the most dangerous. Let everyone go crazy far away from you. It will take a little while before the zombies take over and humans are few and far between.

My .02

Allot of people do think since cave men could do it thousands of years ago surely modern man can.

Ok here is a a few self tests I know cause I have done these in survival courses !

1. Wait until it snows in bare feet walk out and get the mail, if you have no snow stand on and ice pack see how long until you can't ( both feet same time standing still )

2. Make a fire with only wood ! And make a fire in the snow with wet wood.

3. Go to one side of your town mark off 1 mile and run as fast as you can non stop at the end immediately add up
22+ 12 x 8 + 999 and divide it by 12 . On paper in less then 15 seconds. Now reverse the equation and answer it in less then 10 seconds. ( this test tell you have well you think with a high heart rate ).

4. How many edible plants can you name in your city park right now.

5. What is natures water filter thats works as well a britta filter ?

6. what is a Twitch-Up Snare, and Spring snare and whats the difference and where would you use them.

These are a few small tests simple survival test, if you do not know or can not do these chances are you wont last a week in the forest with out heavy supplies.

Dude, caveman was primitive not stupid. He didn't go to city parks, walk around in the snow barefoot, or make fire with only wood.

When he had fire, he maintained the fire, and didn't let it go out, whether someone had made the fire with a firebow, flint etc, you don't let your fire go out. This is also why you don't go camping with idiots who think a big campfire is a warm campfire (also, these are usually the same idiots that didn't spend 4 hours gathering wood that day).

Caveman either moved south when it started snowing, or he found some shoes to keep his feet warm, he didn't walk around in snow, that's just dumb. But good troll :)

Caveman didn't count, he either killed game and ate, or didn't kill game and starved and died. Heartrate wasn't important to caveman.

Caveman also knows that most of the edible plants in the city park are likely to be covered in weed killer, because most city parks call edible plants "weeds".

Caveman knows that natures water filter is a spring, because the water travels through miles of sand, gravel and porous rocks to come out of the spring.

Caveman doesn't care about twitch up snares, or spring snares, he only uses figure 4 deadfalls.

One of the things modern humans don't appreciate is that it takes about 10 sq miles to supply enough food for 1 hunter gatherer, that means 20sq miles for 2, 30sq miles for 3, etc etc. Have you ever been hunting? Have you ever been hunting in crappy weather? I don't know how many times I've gone out hunting and returned with nothing. Either because the animals didn't want to be cooperative, the area was already hunted out, I couldn't close the distance in time, or the game got spooked before I got set up.

Im no expert hunter by any means... there has been a lot of times, hell most the times i've been hunting i come back with nothing. But I have NEVER gone out and not seen anything. I might have come back empty handed because i didn't have a tag for that animal or it was out of season... but that doesnt matter in SHTF. I've gone out deer hunting and didnt see one deer. But just on my walk back to the house saw squirrels, rabbits, turkey, quail and other birds. I dare any body to go walk around in the woods at anytime of the year and tell me you don't see one edible animal. And this isn't even including edible plants that you can find... and is in a lot smaller of an area than 10 sq miles. But by no means will you be eating a thanksgiving meal every night.

And if i didn't have such a slow crappy internet connection i would try and find that reg on storage for FFL holders. I very well could be wrong but from what i remember you had to have them locked up.

One of the things modern humans don't appreciate is that it takes about 10 sq miles to supply enough food for 1 hunter gatherer, that means 20sq miles for 2, 30sq miles for 3, etc etc. Have you ever been hunting? Have you ever been hunting in crappy weather? I don't know how many times I've gone out hunting and returned with nothing. Either because the animals didn't want to be cooperative, the area was already hunted out, I couldn't close the distance in time, or the game got spooked before I got set up.

Your point is very well made. The area needed to support a hunter gatherer is different depending on where it is of course. Central Oregon much different from Willamette valley.

What so many don't realize is that the game in any given area is already hunted pretty hard by something. The days of easy deer hunting went with the ban on dog hunting of cougars and bears. I have been hunting the same mixed use agricultural and timberlands for 40 years and have seen big changes. Where we used to see 50 or so deer in a day of hunting, now we are lucky to spot a couple of does.

With the rise in unemployment, subsistence hunters AKA poachers, are out there killing everything in sight already to feed their families. A bird or a squirrel will help, but not make much of a meal, and how long does it take before those get wary of two legged predators.

With the exception of farm deer in the Willamette valley, there aren't a lot of deer out there.

I am just guessing, but my opinion is that easily 95% of those who think they are going to head for the woods and live off the land won't make it. I know I wouldn't, and I have been spending my free time hunting and camping my whole life.

one scenario of shtf.. those in the city will riot, panic, and loot. If you are in the city, hunker down with what you have for a few weeks and try to stay unnoticed and unseen or get out before the hoardes do. You do not want to make yourself a target.

Get a 10/22 and a backpack full of bulk ammo and a good water filter. Quieter, easier on the run than any larger calibers. You can go a few weeks without food if you need to run, just make sure you have water.
Also, buy a few 50lb bags of rice, some vitamins, and learn how to make and use a "penny stove". Rice is cheap and you can live for years on it with multivitamins if you have to.
This should cost you less than $500. If you can't come up with $500 you have bigger problems

chances are you will be the last person to the gun store and far from the last to be shot there.

i know this thread is a bit old but i thought it worth adding to.

Looting is always a bad idea. its far to big a risk and is a bit shady.

if it came down to brass tacks and you needed a firearm the safest and most discrete way to acquire one is by taking one from a police cruiser. not something to do in a natural disaster situation or others where help is coming but if you absolutely needed it, thats where you look.

there you will find medical supplies, weapons, ammo, sometimes clothing and weather gear, hell you may even find armor. again do not do this unless it really is a time when people are dying without weapon.

its likely there may be police officers using this forum on their off time, im sure one of them would be able to give a good list that would be more accurate than mine but im also willing to bet they would not be willing to part with it easily. they should also know that im not trying to encourage people to go and do this.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top