JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If this is in fact true then you and your wife must be living WAY beyond your means plus carrying a lot of debt given the jobs you both have. Try doing all you describe on one income, without a wife and raising a daughter to the age of 18 - as I did.

Try this on,
Say you had a wife whom you love dearly who has severe medical issues and ends up in ICU regularly enough to have be-friended the surgeons doctors and nurses, While 2 medical insurance providers cover 75% of the medical bills you cannot imagine what the other 25% looks like. + the expenses' of a 4 month old son.
How about not judging or jumping to conclusions. The thread wasn't titled "How broke am i?"
Good job at raising a child at 18. I'm 22.

Leave well enough alone boys, I believe any point of value was made. It should have ALL been constructive in the first place. How easy it is to forget the road many of us have been on to get to where we are now, and how far many have yet to go to be where they want to.

The dollar tree/store has many good deals on supplies such as first aid kits, spices (mandatory for cooking), oils, candles, utensils and far to many more to list here.

Grocery outlet has great savings also, here I can turn $200 into $325 real easy. Items such as canned goods, flour, dried rice and beans, seasonings, salts/pepper, any and damned near all the items required to get you well on your way.

Remember water! a minimum of a gallon/day for personal consumption, throw in two gallons for cooking/cleaning etc. Bleach works well for purification in a pinch and a google search will also show dry chemicals that do the job better, for less and with basically an unlimited shelf life.

As northwesthunter pointed out, the SHTF scenario is pretty much over hyped. Far more likely that it will be a natural disaster such as a major earthquake or equal. Here in the remote coast range where I live, it's not uncommon to be without utility's for a week or more after a major storm, so it becomes a reality that's faced many times a winter. we've become old hats at dealing with it, so life's good and it is not a big deal at all.

We probably have on hand enough to survive a year or more, but those provisions were not purchased over night. As I stated in the previous post, a little at a time did it through canning, freezing purchasing when we could and rotation of stocks. It's pretty simple really, don't break the bank doing it and add what you can when you can. And don't pay to much attention to those that are quick to condemn, it's easier from behind a keyboard than face to face.
As a side note, the only thing of value I've ever stolen in my life was Mother-in laws daughter, and I'm still paying for that one, it's been a 35 to life sentence so far, and she's the warden so it's not likely I'll be pardoned anytime soon.:peace:

the only thing of value I've ever stolen in my life was Mother-in laws daughter, and I'm still paying for that one, it's been a 35 to life sentence so far, and she's the warden so it's not likely I'll be pardoned anytime soon.:peace:

LOL Thanks John, well i will check into the dollar tree, generally when we buy groceries it is the stuff with longest shelf life, more prepper minded shopping , but never thought into the dollar store much. I also do buy from the bargain bins and have canned food we will never eat unless it was an emergency like sardines and stuff like that because i got them for 20 cents or whatever at the time lol. I can't wait till this blows over. You married into prison, and i married into debt.
Everybody wins!
As far as the SHTF being over hyped i agree and disagree, Only because of weird feelings i get and what the government is doing but i do respect everybody's beliefs. I just want to be prepared for the worst possible.

Don't buy food you won't eat now for storage, because when the time comes to take it out of storage, you won't eat it.

If you're looking for storage food, buy 1 can, try it, if you like it and would eat it regularly, buy more. I had this problem a few years ago with "campbells pork and beans" I bought a case of them, tried them out, and hated it. I threw it in with my normal church donation (normally, when my canned goods are within a year to six mos of expiration the go to the church, so someone can eat it before it expires). Since then I've stuck to the brands I like... Busch's baked beans.

Cooking with your storage and survival food is essential, know what tastes good. Frankly, if you have a bunch of sardines, you might want to use them as an ingredient in some recipe, and get used to eating them. Without that you are just wasting money.

Given your financial situation, you should be learning to eat storage food as part of your regular routine. Cooking at home is much cheaper than going out, and foods that require more prep time are usually cheaper. Cooking up some frozen chicken breast, with a side of potato buds, and a frozen vegetable can be a pretty cheap meal, maybe $1.50 per person. Slow cooker soups are another good cheap source of food. You can cook up a big batch, eat your fill, then put the rest in single serving tupperware and freeze it, you now have food all week.

Try this on,
Say you had a wife whom you love dearly who has severe medical issues and ends up in ICU regularly enough to have be-friended the surgeons doctors and nurses.

Sounds like heading to the sticks to live off the land is not what makes sense in that case. Whatever the disaster, and regardless off how widespread, re-supplying cities and maintaining the infrastructure in population centers is where most of the emphasis will be in and after a crisis. People with health issues should make proximity to health care a major part of their crisis plan.

Sounds like heading to the sticks to live off the land is not what makes sense in that case. Whatever the disaster, and regardless off how widespread, re-supplying cities and maintaining the infrastructure in population centers is where most of the emphasis will be in and after a crisis. People with health issues should make proximity to health care a major part of their crisis plan.

It really depends on the disaster, Medford OR has the highest un employment rate in oregon, and with the crime that happens daily i wouldn't want my family anywhere near hear if something catastrophic happened, yes she wouldn't last as long as my son and i but at least she wouldn't be raped and murdered giving other circumstances. It all just depends on the scenario i guess.

Man Who Will Die In Great Eastern Seaboard Flood Of 2023 Preparing For Mayan Apocalypse

635.jpg

FAIRFIELD, CT—Heeding warnings that a world-ending cataclysmic event will occur next Friday, local man Craig Massey, 26, who will be one of several thousand fatalities in 2023’s Great Eastern Seaboard Flood, told reporters today he is fully prepared for the apocalypse he believes the ancient Mayans predicted.

“This is the big one, and I’m not taking any chances,” said Massey, who 11 years from now will drown in Hurricane Cindy’s thrashing storm surge as his house is demolished and all his possessions are washed away. “The conclusion of the 13th b’ak’tun is upon us. I plan on being prepared.”

Displaying more concern for the dire predictions of numerologists than the warnings of modern scientists regarding the changes in climate that will eventually lead to his unceremonious death, Massey confirmed he has spent much of the year fortifying his basement to create a bunker capable of withstanding “doomsday-level forces.”

“I don’t know how long I might have to stay down there, so I’m getting plenty of the essentials: water, gas masks, nonperishables, and, due to the very real possibility of a new ice age arriving, warm clothes and blankets,” said Massey, who in 2023 will have no time to evacuate before the massive storm forces down his door and fills his lungs with water. “My thinking is, you need to be ready for anything when there’s an apocalypse coming.”

“I also got this,” he continued, slamming a loaded M9 Beretta pistol down on the table in front of him. “Whatever’s coming at me, it’s not getting away without a fight.”

Massey added that the evidence presented by astronomers indicating that no comet or meteor is currently on a collision course with Earth is “a hoax almost as absurd as global warming.”

Man Who Will Die In Great Eastern Seaboard Flood Of 2023 Preparing For Mayan Apocalypse | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

:D

Lets say we get nuked and invaded, close proximity to health care provider won't make any difference. Something more likely, natural disaster, emp, whatever we won't be going anywhere just because of this.

It's interesting how many folks have exactly the same plan for when the SHTF. The problem I see is that for each gun store/sporting goods store, it is quite possible that 100 to 1,000 or more people will show up immediately after the SHTF. Each of these people believe that the welfare of their families depends on them getting what they need from the store. If someone else is in their way, this is a threat to their families. Many of these people will be armed with firearms or other weapons. I wouldn't want to be part of this mess and if I was and something happened to me, my family would suffer for it.

This ...

I'm talking about no laws no rules being invaded circumstances. I have firearms with minimal ammunition, but it would be nice to have 5+ cans of 556 and an AR for each member of my party.
It would be survival mode, Im curious how other people who don't have spending money plan to get the materials they need in a SHTF scenario

First thing is,the store owner and/or employees will have taken all the ammo and guns. If not you will be shot multiple times as you go through the front.

Second and more importantly is the supply factor.
This won't be a popular option but it may be the only one some have.
Figure out what your gut feeling is on how much time you have to be prepared.
OK this doesn't matter,changing directions,or routes to my solution IF I was in your position.

1 cut down on or stop paying non essential bills ie not water,lights and rent.....rent,not mortgage. Mortgage could be stopped and you would have a year before the sheriff comes (just a term ,don't care who comes for the house)
Then with that money buy some preps. OR!!! Or take any free credit on cards and fill with preps
have a garage sale and get rid of all essentials.
Watch or listen to some old Get rich real estate tapes. They ask
Have a TV?,Radio? Big car or truck? Any other toys?
Sell them and use that for a down payment,or don't give me any excuses.........

So sell what you don't need.Not guns or ammo of course.
Make as little of payments as you can get by with till you have a nest egg.
If you think your time line is short,quit all payments until threatened.
If you think your time line is a couple years.then skip a few payments here and there till you have what you need.

I mean if SHTF,then do you care about your credit score....if you are famished?
This all has to do with your own personal comfort level, but you have to decide when YOU think S will HTF.
The economy could make you unemployed tomorrow.

So you are going to become one of the Bad Guys. Folks on this forum talk about protecting themselves and the sheep from guys that try to steal goods and resources. Some can rationalize the action as ok, if not justifiable. Hmmm interesting support you seem to garner with this position also. I guess there is really no need to prep, just steal from others in tough times.

Even if you were going to put that plan into action it most likely wouldn't work... and you would prolly break your truck. 1.) As someone already stated, the owner and employess would probably take everything. 2.) If SHTF really did happen the store probably won't be open and assuming there is stuff inside, Guns get locked up as law requires. So you might be able to get some other stuff... but firearms are highly unlikely.

Even if you were going to put that plan into action it most likely wouldn't work... and you would prolly break your truck. 1.) As someone already stated, the owner and employess would probably take everything. 2.) If SHTF really did happen the store probably won't be open and assuming there is stuff inside, Guns get locked up as law requires. So you might be able to get some other stuff... but firearms are highly unlikely.

Guns get locked up as law requires.

Hit and miss as it is NOT required,just most stores do it.

BATFE requires any weapon being in a FFL holders possession for 24 hours or longer is required to have it locked up. Even a gunsmith should have safe if he plans on keeping them for over 24 hours... legally

What is the criteria for "locked up"??? In the building with the door locked? Must be---they don't take all those guns
off of the wall/out of the racks and put them in a safe every night.

You want to cite a rule or statute on that "must be locked up if the FFL has it over 24 hrs" statement?

On a different note, over and over I see people post their plans to bug out to the woods and live off the land.

Fact is that most places game is pretty scarce, and once everyone is out there living off of it, game will be even more scarce. Becoming a hunter gatherer is very overrated.

Most people who try it will starve.

On a different note, over and over I see people post their plans to bug out to the woods and live off the land.

Fact is that most places game is pretty scarce, and once everyone is out there living off of it, game will be even more scarce. Becoming a hunter gatherer is very overrated.

Most people who try it will starve.

Allot of people do think since cave men could do it thousands of years ago surely modern man can.

Ok here is a a few self tests I know cause I have done these in survival courses !

1. Wait until it snows in bare feet walk out and get the mail, if you have no snow stand on and ice pack see how long until you can't ( both feet same time standing still )

2. Make a fire with only wood ! And make a fire in the snow with wet wood.

3. Go to one side of your town mark off 1 mile and run as fast as you can non stop at the end immediately add up
22+ 12 x 8 + 999 and divide it by 12 . On paper in less then 15 seconds. Now reverse the equation and answer it in less then 10 seconds. ( this test tell you have well you think with a high heart rate ).

4. How many edible plants can you name in your city park right now.

5. What is natures water filter thats works as well a britta filter ?

6. what is a Twitch-Up Snare, and Spring snare and whats the difference and where would you use them.

These are a few small tests simple survival test, if you do not know or can not do these chances are you wont last a week in the forest with out heavy supplies.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top