JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Why wouldn't you? Some guns are too rare or valuable to shoot. Some have too many guns to shoot. Some have life commitments that don't allow regular trips to the range. Shoot ability is not the only reason to own a gun.
Sadly, a lot of people buy guns they can't afford, then have to sell them fairly quickly without shooting them, or jump on fads that change too fast.

I have way to many guns to shoot and I just picked two moreup last weekend, i am commited to buy one more here shortly.
I takemy grandson shooting every weeend spring until the snow flies. If we took five guns a week we still wouldn't shoot them all.

Why have so many guns? Investments, for inheritentcs, because I can, many reasons. I have a few new in the box guns that I will never shoot. My kifs can decide if they want to when I cash in my chips.

I have shot every firearm I own, most un-fired when I bought them. We never really "own" a firearm forever, we are mearley care takers for a time.Call me crazy, but saving a firearm as "un-fired" is like saving a Virgin for the next guy.

You do it because you can do it.

So why not?

Here in yUK, some county police forces - they are the people who issue our Firearms certificates - want to see use. One county wants to have evidence that a gun is shot at least six times per year, although there is absolutely ZERO requirement in law to say that. I have nineteen guns, and shooting each of them at least six times a year would likely require for me to live at the range.....

Might not be such a bad idea, in fact....hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...............................
You don't shoot more than 120 dys a yr? Why even have guns? Lol just given ya a hrd time.

Some of us chose to own highly collectible and/or historically significant arms, and some of those are simply too old to shoot, or unsafe to do so, even with a reduced load, so they are preserved and enjoyed in that way! I do have others of the same make and model and year that are shooters and I enjoy shooting them often!

"Collectors" are a whole different "thing". I personally have never had any desire to have a gun I can just look at but hey that's me. I have told the story of one time I ended up with a Mod 29 "collector". It was one of those that came in a wood box display case. Guy pre internet, short on cash, made and offer too good to pass. It had never been fired, not even the line around the cylinder from the hand dragging. So it sat, bothered me so much I went out and bought a beat up 29 even though I was not really "into" these. That one I could go shoot. Long later a collector just had to have the nice one and he paid me so much for it I was doing the happy dance all the way home from the show. He seemed happy, I was sure as hell happy.
Before they made buying and selling such a PITA I rarely bought a NIB gun. I would watch the ads for what I wanted used. Was glad to buy one already used. If I bought it NIB it was only going to stay new for as long as it took me to get to a shooting spot.
I hear that! NIB means "I bought a new gun, now I'm gonna go shoot it"

Yep, some things you buy because they are a bargain, and or they might be a good investment; then there are some that are just neat to have and to hold. I have a Savage 338 Winchester Weather Warrior model w/scope; got a spectacular deal on it. I've had it 10 years, never been shot.

Some people have them for the pure joy of ownership. They like having certain objects without actually using them.

Some people appreciate a well-made machine. Meaning, a Colt revolver is more likely to be put away and kept nice than an RG-38.

Guns have had a way of being a store of value in a world of depreciating paper money.

Some of us chose to own highly collectible and/or historically significant arms, and some of those are simply too old to shoot, or unsafe to do so, even with a reduced load, so they are preserved and enjoyed in that way! I do have others of the same make and model and year that are shooters and I enjoy shooting them often!

This tends to me an American thang, because gun ownership for you is a simple matter of seeing it, wanting, and buying it. If it costs a lot of money, well, it's only money, and in general, you all seem to have lot more of it than most of us over here, particularly for your hobbies of collecting planes and boats and cars. I'm not poor, that's for sure, but I don't know anybody with a boat, or a plane, or a collection of cars.

Here in UK, and in a lot of other countries, ownership 'just because' is no reason to own, because guns that fire cartridges have to be registered and controlled. Heck, I have two Sniders, both 'collectable', and, by virtue of the fact that ammunition is unobtainable, not registered in any way.

But if I wanted to shoot either of them, they would HAVE to be registered, by law. Getting caught out without them being legal would cost me every gun I own, and a lot of money, and maybe jail time, too.

If I was rich, and lived somewhere else, like the USA, then I too would probably have a lot of guns that I wouldn't shoot, simply because my interest in Bavarian wheellocks would make shooting them unwise. However, I'd get that well-known gun-maker in Poland to replicate them and shoot the replicas instead.

After all, its only money, and there are no ranges in heaven. :)

Last Edited:
I've bought and sold just to flip for cash on a highly sought after item.

I've traded into another gun that I didn't need that was easier to sell than the gun I started out with.

I collect guns I foresee to have value and will appreciate.

I've bought guns to be used with silencers, to only get tired of waiting and sold to free up funds.

Just a few examples.

I shoot a lot of others. I don't always keep all of them. Some I don't even shoot.

I don't chase the game as much as I used to, but I still enjoy a good flip or two if possible.
I'm pretty sure that's not legal unless you have an FFL. Yeah that's a felony .

I used to enjoy the buying , selling and trading of older rifles and shotguns that needed a little TLC...
I'd get 'em...fix what was wrong with them...shoot them a time or three to see if the "fix" worked...keep 'em for a little bit and trade 'em off for a new project gun at the next gun show I went to.

It was a fun way to get some "gunsmith " experience* and a chance to play around with different types of guns and firearm actions.
But now with the BGC for every firearm sale** and with the up coming laws ...that has really put the end to my pastime here...at least with "modern" firearms...I still do this with muzzleloaders...but the laws will get around to them sooner or later as well.
So for me at least having a gun that I don't shoot , isn't really in the cards any longer...

*Please note that I do not consider myself as gunsmith , I can do some basic repairs and some "prettying up" of metal and stocks , but that is not the same as being a true gunsmith.
**The hassle of finding a FFL willing to do a transfer along with the cost of the transfer can be a deal killer at times.
A $25 + fee for a transfer may not matter much on a upper end firearm that needs no TLC...but for a $300 or less fixer upper gun ...that $25+ fee , can make or break a deal.
Plus , at least where I live , the prices on used guns , even fixer uppers have gone up as well...Before the BGC law , I could almost always find a $125-$200 gun to tinker with ...not any longer...
Andy

*Please note that I do not consider myself as gunsmith , I can do some basic repairs and some "prettying up" of metal and stocks , but that is not the same as being a true gunsmith.

I've always enjoyed fixing up my own stuff too, as well as helping friends out from time to time. I've gotten fairly good at it over the years, and on occasion will have someone try to pay me for fixing their gun. I always tell them: 1. I'm not a gunsmith, 2. I only work on guns for myself and friends, and 3. I never take payment.

I'm pretty good at doing my own plumbing work around the house too, but I don't call myself a plumber. :)

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top