JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Disagree that it's 20 minutes of time. On average and with everything involved it's more than that imo.
So what is your time estimate to write something in a book, plug some info into a computer, and store a gun in a safe that already exists, then answer the phone and say "not ready"?

I know an FFL that doesn't charge a background check fee.
He deals in estate sales and I've bought guns from him just because of the bargain prices and all the free ammo that came along with them.

I'm just honestly curious. My FFL literally takes ten minutes start to finish while chatting. I had a really poor experience with a transfer through that dynamics years ago. It came in and sat for a week. They kept giving me the run around of how much work is involved, blah, blah, blah.

I'm just honestly curious. My FFL literally takes ten minutes start to finish while chatting. I had a really poor experience with a transfer through that dynamics years ago. It came in and sat for a week. They kept giving me the run around of how much work is involved, blah, blah, blah.
On the flip side... I know of a couple FFL's that actually "live" off transfers. They encourage them and the owner once told me it would be impossible for them to keep their doors open without a steady stream of private transfers. With no real overhead (inventory or investment) the hefty profit margins on "services" keeps them afloat.

I guess it just depends on how the FFL choses to structures their business(?) Maybe those making bank on actual firearm sales see it more as a nuisance while those with less value the steady stream of nearly "free" profits(?)

On the flip side... I know of a couple FFL's that actually "live" off transfers. They encourage them and the owner once told me it would be impossible for them to keep their doors open without a steady stream of private transfers. With no real overhead (inventory or investment) the hefty profit margins on "services" keeps them afloat.

I guess it just depends on how the FFL choses to structures their business(?) Maybe those making bank on actual firearm sales see it more as a nuisance while those with less value the steady stream of nearly "free" profits(?)
I've been told, obviously can't personally verify, that the mark-up on most guns to the FFL is only like $30.

I've been told, obviously can't personally verify, that the mark-up on most guns to the FFL is only like $30.
Yeah. I think it's pretty darn slim. It's the peripheral sales that stem from firearm sales that keeps the cash flow going. Holsters, mags, ammo, cases, optics, etc etc.

Making $35 plus $10 for the state is better than having an employee doing little or nothing. I can't count the times I've gone in to do a transfer and purchased a gun that I didn't know I wanted.

My opinion.
The simple answer is.....because, the Govt (read also as, the common couriers and the FFLs) have seen a way to make more profits at the expense of the regular guy (non-FFL). LOL. But of course....it's all in the name of SAFETY.

1686426313862.png

Aloha, Mark

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany