JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Theres whole genre of guns that are purchased to NEVER fire. a turn mark or any marks of firing instantly drops the value of many Colt 1873's by a solid third. Ive known people with safes full of in box Colts that had never been fired in their 50-100+ years. To even speak of firing one was heresy in those circles.

Look, I'm sorry I even tried to help. The original post I was referring to. The gentleman wrote that he often bought several guns at a time to turn a profit. You have to have an FFL to buy with the intent to resell at a profit. That's clear. Take it or leave it. Go to jail I don't care anymore. Read the actual statute that a user posted earlier. There's no such thing as a state firearms license. It's Federal. All I was saying is probably not smart to put it in writing when it's a clear violation of Federal law .The administrator said take it elsewhere. Start a new thread we can argue there.
As mentioned before, laws regarding private sales are handled at the state level not the federal level. There is no license involved in a private sale unless the state requires it to go through a FFL. No one said a state firearms license.

I bought quite a few guns in Washington 20 plus years ago when you went to a gun show and bought them from someone running the table. They were new, in the box and whoever was selling had bought them from a dealer for the sole purpose of reselling them at the gun show. No paperwork, cash on the table.

I bought quite a few guns in Washington 20 plus years ago when you went to a gun show and bought them from someone running the table. They were new, in the box and whoever was selling had bought them from a dealer for the sole purpose of reselling them at the gun show. No paperwork, cash on the table.

This is the sort of thing that I remember from 20 to 30 years ago; lots of guys openly and flagrantly ignoring federal law. When the feds rolled through about 20 years ago they really put the fear into them, big-time. I was never enough in-the-know to really know what happened, but all the old timers seemed to whisper about with fear in their voices. One old geezer who always did the shows disappeared for a while and the rumor I heard was that he had died. Later someone told me that what really happened was an ATF visit to his home with dire warnings of serious consequences for any further illegal behavior.

I suspect he went straight as an arrow after that. He wasn't a bad guy; he just seemed to think that the law didn't apply to him. I'm sure I could name him and have a few guys on here who would remember him (he's gone now). I can't say that I have a lot of sympathy for those guys. Agree with the law or not, if you flaunt it you'd better be prepared for the consequences.

Again, sorry for continuing the OT discussion, but it seems that this thread was having a hard time getting back on the rails anyhow. My only point was that the guys mentioned above are the ones afoul of the law, who are dealing without a license, not the guy who buys the hunting rifle his neighbor sells cheap because he needs the money, for the sole purpose of selling it for a profit next hunting season, one time.

You have to have an FFL to buy with the intent to resell at a profit.

I know that you mean well, and I don't intend to challenge you because in a more general sense you are absolutely right, but technically this is not quite correct. That's why I asked about the guy buying a high grade shotgun in hopes it would grow in value and he could make a good profit on it in the future. His reason for buying it is intent to sell at a profit.

So long as you are the actual purchaser, intent to make a profit is not the problem, so long as you do it legally. The problem is making a little side business of any kind out of it, like some guys do.

What's the magic number that you can buy and sell without running afoul of the law? My opinion is that if you're asking yourself that question you might be dangerously close already. If you go to every gun show and gun shop looking for a bargain to flip, you're probably treading on thin ice (or worse). That's just my opinion though, based on my understanding of federal gun laws.

Like I said, I don't play the whole buy/sell/trade game myself. I can't stand it personally. I just want to research, save up and buy what I like, and keep it. I buy very, very little, and never sell a gun I don't hate.

Last Edited:
I've worked for 4 different law enforcement agencies over the year. First three I carried a personal handgun (S&W Mdl 19 357 4") bought when I started with the first agency. about 12-13 yrs in with the 3rd agency, they provided department issued handguns (S&W 686, 357 4" & 2 1/2"). Last agency issued S&W 4006. Have 7 handguns now. One is a S&W 586, 6" bbl, 357 centinential model for the third agency I worked for. 1986 bought it. Not fired.

Firearms last a long time- So long as politicians and rust are kept away.

Some folks don't see it is ownership. It's about being the caretaker of a piece for a few years (Decades), then, when they feel the time is right they can sell to friends who have coveted them, gift to a family member, or sell for whatever the market will bear.

I often lust after English and Scot made single shots from the 1800s. In particular from 1860 to turn of the century. If I do get one a H&H, WR, Alex Henry, Fraser etc, I aint gonna shoot it a lot. I may well hunt it (Under conditions that are friendly). I may well shoot it on occasion. But it simply will not have many rounds put thru it.

In several cases, total production for a lifetime of work for some of these makers was only a few hundred pieces. Some made a hundred or less. Some ultra rare pieces, you may not be able to find one to buy in your lifetime. These can be counted on your fingers of how many are left in the world today.

If I were to find a piece that is 100% new in box, it would never be fired.

The men who made these arms have been dead for a century. They will not be replaced when they are gone. As a treasure from history, shooting one a lot seems to be a sign of disrespect to the men who made them.

Grandpa collected S&W revolvers. Had a couple hundred that were never fired. He had a few daily shooters. But the simply joy of ownership pleased him.

I understand his perspective.

I've always been curious why I'll see guns in the ads being sold that haven't ever been shot. I get not shooting older relic's if the cost to repair isn't worth someone doing. I'm talking about the 4-5 year old gun that has sat in a safe for it's entire life, yet hasn't been shot...What am I missing?

You aren't missing anything, I think there's a huge difference between being a gun collector and being a responsible gun owner with the latter having taken the time to learn how shoot, reload, and make safe their guns. I have a few guns I don't shoot but it wasn't how I planned it when I bought them. I don't shoot my Colt Python very much as I have a 686 with a crimson trace grip that is better at the range though the action & trigger on the Python is silky compared to the "reliable" SW. I didn't shoot my Etronx very much then Remington went and discontinued it making me wonder what I should do. I decided to sell it as I'm more of a shooter than a collector. I picked up an old 38 from a colleague who's grand father died and in a few years it became valuable like the python did so I haven't taken it out to shoot. Will probably sell that as well. I guess for me if I have a similar gun that is better to shoot that is what I gravitate to. I like Using snap caps and dry fire as many of my guns to stay familiar with them.

Truth is I was addicted to buying guns so I guess I still am...Hello my name is Whiskey Tahoe Foxtrot and I am a gun addict ... and all the other steps... somehow I found the courage to stop buying all my neighbors & friends guns and focus on what I already had. That focus has helped me really enjoy shooting again. Like DB surmised, "why own a gun you won't shoot?" I would say as long as you are shooting something it is OK if you have a couple of guns you consider too "precious" to shoot as long as you are keeping up with how they work and feel.

One other perspective is the ammo, both price and availability. I picked up a 22 Mag bolt rifle a dozen years ago with every intention of shooting it regularly till ammo priced doubled then doubled again. I'm not positive but I'm guessing that the 17 HMR replaced that round as that ammo is widely available and affordable. I never wanted anything smaller than 22 caliber so I never felt compelled to get a 17.

Last Edited:
if you knew how many guns i have that have never been shot (to include custom bolt guns)you would probably have an aneurism! :eek: i buy guns to fill gaps, for future projects and concept ideas, or looked neat at the time. more times than naught just to spend money in my favorite gun store.

sometimes but rarely ideas change and go different directions so i don't need the donor firearms and it get sold unfired so i can buy a new barrel or something else for another project

I picked up an old 38 from a colleague who's grand father died and in a few years it became valuable like the python did so I haven't taken it out to shoot. Will probably sell that as well.

Here's 5 screw K frame 38 I haven't shot yet. Serial number C41xxx put its mfg date in 1948.
Wood checkering is sharp and bluing is perfect.

S&W .38 Box.jpg

S&W .38 Right Side.jpg

Old ammo is a always collector bait...
SW Ammo.jpg

K frame 5 screw locations
S&W MP 38_5 screw.jpg

Again my S&W 686 38/357 is a better choice to shoot as it has better sights

I've always been curious why I'll see guns in the ads being sold that haven't ever been shot. I get not shooting older relic's if the cost to repair isn't worth someone doing. I'm talking about the 4-5 year old gun that has sat in a safe for it's entire life, yet hasn't been shot...What am I missing?

It's a lot like marriage and sex some get it and some don't.

To the best of my recollection, every firearm I ever bought was with the notion of shooting it; some a lot, some a very little. I don't particularly give a rip about monetary or resale value, but I know that figures in the equation with some types of collecting.

That said, if others exercise their right in such a way they are more interested in collecting than shooting, more power to them. On the list of things I care about, what other adults do in the privacy of their homes (firearms or otherwise) isn't one of them. To each their own. :)

Here's 5 screw K frame 38 I haven't shot yet. Serial number C41xxx put its mfg date in 1948.
Wood checkering is sharp and bluing is perfect.

View attachment 588925

View attachment 588927

Old ammo is a always collector bait...
View attachment 588929

K frame 5 screw locations
View attachment 588933

Again my S&W 686 38/357 is a better choice to shoot as it has better sights
My Smith M&P is just like yours, with a "few more" miles on the finish... you have a very fine revolver indeed...:) Too nice to shoot!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top