JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Here's one of mine that I never fired. I loaned it to my worthless cousin once some years ago and he left it out leaning against a tree for a while so it's a bit weathered now, but it's still "unfired". :)

_80323072_80323071.jpg

I own quite a number of NiB firearms. I used to pick things up when I could get better than good pricing through sales, rebates or both. Some day those may be pressed into service for use in defending not only my land, but the land of my neighbors that share a mutual property line with me. If not by me, then by my heirs. In my view, being prepared often means having something but not needing it.

Or, the short answer: 'cuz I can.
"Just cuz I can"- my answer too :D

I have a few I never shoot... they grow in value and i lose nothing by not shooting them as there are a few in the stable. Some guys have a humidity controlled, alarmed room full of "guns they never shoot".. but i'm not that guy by a long shot (as it were)...
Sometimes I reflect on the feeling that we are a dying breed as shooters, collectors, hunters..... if party-line leftist dems have their way, gun ownership will die out after the current generation.

I think some of you all have a lot more guns than I do. I'm pretty solidly in the camp of shooting guns that I own. I don't think I've owned a gun I didn't shoot, except a couple parts guns that were non-functional. If I buy a gun, I have this unstoppable need to go to the range and try it out.

To each their own and all that, but when I buy a gun (which isn't terribly often) it's something that I like and want for myself. As a general rule, I don't sell them. I've sold a few over the years but not very often. I buy what I want and keep it. I buy them to shoot, not for an investment, so resale value matters very little to me.

It's a little like my truck. I know I'm probably the oddball amongst many of you who buy new or newer vehicles on a regular basis, but I bought my truck several years before my oldest daughter was born, and she's old enough now to start driving it. It's in great shape because I've taken care of it, not because I care a whit about resale value, but because I want it to last. It's a Toyota so it has great resale value even over 20 years old, but I plan on driving it til it don't drive no more. Again, to each their own, but personally I just don't care for the buy/sell game, even before the UBC thing.

My father collects but doesn't use stuff. It's borderline hoarding but organized and clean.

And yes he did this with guns. Some of them he used. Also everything had to be treated with kid gloves.

I shoot all my guns, usually not all at once, and if they get scuffed up it's just part of life.

The more it's used the more battle warn it looks. I don't get the not using them thing either but I know having stuff other people don't understand is part of what makes America so great.

We have abundance to the point where you can do that stuff, it's glorious.
I would like to see someone shoot all the guns they own (provided it's more than one) at once.

Because some are on the wall where they belong as an heirloom.

image.jpg

Me thinks some day they aren't shot and they are.

Others were bought on sale and with inflation, the guns resale is now what previous retail was at so no money lost

Lots of reasons to own guns you've never shot, not just "NIB" but even used guns acquired.
* I enjoy the hunt of finding, and the experience of buying a new gun. It's a thrill, and a unique one at that since so few people can do it in the world. So I acquire or collect more than I can shoot.
* Time, work schedule, storage
* Scarcity - knew they would dry up so bought them when you could
* Collecting i.e. back when you could get Mosins or SKS for a Benjamin, it's easy to buy 10 but not easy to find the time to shoot all of them.
* Place to shoot
* Ammunition cost/scarcity
* I lived thru the AWB and now thru more gun control. Acquiring becomes a race against the bans and gun-grabbers.
* Special guns, or guns that are hard to fix

I haven't bought a "brand new" gun in memory. I've bought plenty of excellent condition used guns, and many I've never shot for the above reasons.

I don't hold any really for the intent to resell at a profit. But some have increased in value. For those that do keep unfired guns for resale, there's possibly a little wisdom in it but really that money would have done better in the stock market. Even guns that soared like the Python in 30 years, did about even with gold and lost against the stock market which did far better.

Still, some of my guns appreciated (imports, C&Rs, classics) and some have depreciated with age (common Glocks and polymer types). Investment for financial return is probably foolish.

Last Edited:
Guns are works of art. No different from sculpture of paintings. Enjoy them. Shoot them, collect them. Show them off.

^^^

This and thank you.

That sounds like something that I have said and written about for a long time when it comes to 'owning stuff'. Firearms from the late 90's and on.

I feel the same way about any item that a person owns in their home. Enjoy what you own and use it on a daily or weekly basis. Don't save it for using only once or three times a year. (Holidays!)

If it is a rare item or extremely fragile as Andy mentioned in his post about old and delicate firearms, take care of it for historical reasons if YOU want to keep it or give it or sell it to someone who wants it for HISTORICAL reasons.

Cate

Side note:

Years ago, I was gifted two Smith and Wesson Model 29 firearms. One was a -2 and one was a -3 if my memory serves me right. One was all by itself. One was in the S&W classic wood box with papers, etc. They were not NIB - they were previously owned but well taken care of. These gifts were a total surprise to me and I did not ask for them. They were beautiful guns and sweet shooters.

(I personally only bought NIB guns as a NEWBIE from the late 90's and on. My late husband bought his FEW guns 'NIB' shy of one gun that was barely used from an old friend of his. The guns got used even though they were bought NIB!)

My MT husband and I SHOT BOTH of the Model 29s. They did not sit all locked up in a cabinet. I carried one of them (Not the one in the box.) in a shoulder holster on and off in the woods/wilderness too.

I usually carried MY one and only 45Long Colt Caliber handgun (Ruger Blackhawk.) or one of my several 357Magnum handguns from back east in the woods/wilderness. I did this for MANY, many years. I carried in town sometimes too. In my yard working alone due to loose - dumped dogs. I had several 22lr and 22lr/22wmr convertible handguns back east and out here too. My first gun was a Glock 9mm - back east.

Later on, I finally got my first CF rifle in 30-30. We had a few pistol caliber rifles in 45Long Colt and in 357Magnum calibers. Winchesters and one Henry.

Back to the Dirty Harry d/a revolvers now. LOL

I shot a few magnum rounds on and off to keep up my self defense skills, I loaded the Model 29 with 44Magnum rounds for the woods/wilderness, carried extra ammo with me -factory and HIS loads but I usually shot 44Specials at the range. Those were the only 44 caliber guns that I owned in Montana. I gave the BOXED sweet Model 29 to my MT husband as a gift.

Most of the time, I shot MY other guns in my other calibers from back east and I never owned a CF rifle of my own until I moved out west. I did own 3 RF (22lr) rifles back east.

He and I sold the two Model 29s. One was sold to a friend and the other one sold before he left one store. Those were the ONLY 44 Caliber guns that we owned at the time and to this time frame too.

He owned several 44Magnum handguns and rifles but I did not know him as a young man.

We got out of a bunch of firearm Calibers and Downsized. Me - mainly due to my arthritis (ALL of MY handguns got sold and a few got gifted.) and him due to planning ahead for retirement and for using the KISS method for HIS OWN GUNS - reloading supplies and so forth and what HE was using the MOST in all of his firearms... it was fairly simple.

We sold ALL of the 357Magnum handguns and rifles. His and mine.

We sold ALL of the 45Long Colt handguns and rifles. His and mine but he had far MORE in '45' caliber handguns than my one and only 45Long Colt handgun-Ruger Blackhawk! A friend wanted to buy the 45Long Colt Winchester rifle. He sold several 45acp pistols.

He kept two 45acp pistols.

He sold some famous, sweet S&W 41Magnum handgun too. Plus some other caliber handguns and rifles.

He sold some custom and regular guns. He did not lose money.

He sold some well known guns including an old Colt Woodsman pistol. I did SEE that gun of his in action at the range. He knew the background of it and I helped do some research on that pistol for him too.

I do NOT regret buying, using, shooting, gifting and selling ANY GUN that I ever owned. He does not either.

Use it or lose it is my motto.

Your mileage may vary. NO problem.

I don't knock collectors. To each their own. Some people did this and made good money at it. Some men did this for their retirement fund.

WE are not collectors.

I don't knock people who buy at a lower price and sell at a higher price either.

Lots of people are doing this NOW because of the 2020 elections. I personally think that OUR GUN RIGHTS WILL BE SEVERELY CHALLENGED EVEN MORE. Ugly? Perhaps.

By the way, I DO believe that if you buy a good quality, brand name, a specific model in ANY firearm and in a well known caliber for people who do NOT reload or for those who DO reload, take good care of the firearm and shoot it, etc. - you can sell it for a good price and, in some cases, if you know your guns, you may end up with more than what you paid for it.

Or you will get what you paid for it even though you shot it often and cared for it OR had it for a 'house gun' for a long time if you are a person who only owns one gun but shoots it on and off to keep up your skills at any age.

My MT husband had a former SS conceal carry gun that he carried for a LONG time in 357Magnum. One of his former many conceal/open carry handguns but this was an almost daily carry gun. He did not lose money when he sold it and got out of ALL of his 357Magnum firearms and gear.

I look at a gun and ammunition as a self defense issue not just for the basic RKBA Second Amendment LIBERTY issue.

NOT ONLY FOR SOME $$$ AMOUNT. IF IT WAS ALL ABOUT $$$ - I WOULD ONLY HAVE BOUGHT ONE GUN FOR MYSELF AND NOT 15 OR SO GUNS, mainly handguns and 3 RF rifles, BACK EAST TO BEGIN WITH!

So if a gun serves it's purpose to ME for close to 5, 15, 20 years (Me.) or LONGER for my MT husband and other people... I happen to think that it is a good investment.

ONE gun or several guns helped ME to protect my late husband, my former home back east, my late dogs, my tiny cabin in the mountains and camping time out here in MT, my home that I built here, my MT husband, my time as a married lady, widow and remarried older, arthritic lady. My late husband's 'house gun' helped ME to protect myself and my home as a young bride in that former house for many years, long before I ever bought my first gun too.

It is not always about the money. And if you can afford to buy it, save up for a gun or any other THING in your life, it is your business not any other person's if you choose to SHOOT it or not shoot it or keep it or sell it or gift it.

Me? I use it - gun or any other thing in my life. My stuff does not own me - I own it not the other way around.

With that said... I do UNDERSTAND other people and their viewpoints when it comes to safe queen guns and in other ideas when it comes to gun ownership.

WE are fortunate to have such 'problems' here in the US of A!

Cate
TYPOS!

Last Edited:
I forgot which poster said this but it reminds me of my MT husband.

My MT husband kept TWO 45acp pistols. He sold the others as I posted above and elsewhere on this forum.

He carries on a daily basis. He carries concealed and open depending on where he is. Mostly concealed. He carries ONE pistol all of the time.

The SECOND 45acp pistol is an exact duplicate in brand name, model, year and caliber as his main carry pistol. I asked him why he was not switching it around more often and he said that he does shoot the other spare duplicate gun, that IS a fact, but he carries and shoots his MAIN carry pistol the most.

So I teased him and asked if it was his safe queen pistol! NO, since it does get shot, cleaned and kept as his spare duplicate handgun. The daily carry gun gets shot and cleaned on a regular basis too.

One is none and two is one deal?!

Cate

One thing a lot of people don't think about is, is that a new gun today will be that "old antique" gun that is no longer made tomorrow you might say. The old sharps, remington rolling blocks colt single action armies, Winchesters, Marlin Ballards etc etc that are now collector pieces were once every day carried guns that people used., now look at them price wise.

The guns bought and saved NIB today will be the very same expensive collector guns down the road in time. Another thing is, is that many people have enough guns for every kind of use or need, that they don't "need" to shoot every gun they own.

I've bought manyyyyy over the yrs knowing full well that I'd never shoot them, and had no intention of ever shooting them. I went so far as strapping down levers and bolts on rifles, and hammers to trigger gaurd frames with zip ties for that very reason.

Ya might say I'm doing my American Patriotic duty of preserving American history by not not shooting them, and saving them for future generations ;)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top