JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This thread is for helping sellers get their items sold. Post a link to ad and I/we will help figure out why it hasn't sold and offer tips to get it sold. Be prepared for honest critiquing of the ad, price, etc.

Neat idea for a thread , "on paper" , so to speak.
However. this could easily turn into a "bash fest".

Please remember the forum rules....and be 'excellent" to each other with the reasons , critiques and such.
Insults , and the like will not help and will cause the thread to be closed.

To be honest with my thoughts...sometimes it is best to remain quiet and mind one's own business.

And with all that said...
What may keep the item from selling is usually the price or the conditions of the sale...as in no shipping or the like.
Location may play a role here too.
Also with some items , the popularity of the item plays a part or what is wanted in trade is difficult to find.
Andy

The first No Go that jumps out at me is the no shipping stipulation. Every mile someone has to drive adds to the cost for the item in both time and expense, so you're severely limiting the geographic scope of potential customers.

The second No Go presents itself in the form of a question; Why would you buy three, decide to keep two, and sell this particular barrel but neither of the other two you decided to keep? Sounds like there is something about this particular barrel you don't like, but since you don't elaborate on what that is, potential buyers are left wondering "what's wrong with it?" A little clarification might go a long way toward getting it sold.

Neat idea for a thread , "on paper" , so to speak.
However. this could easily turn into a "bash fest".

Please remember the forum rules....and be 'excellent" to each other with the reasons , critiques and such.
Insults , and the like will not help and will cause the thread to be closed.

To be honest with my thoughts...sometimes it is best to remain quiet and mind one's own business.

And with all that said...
What may keep the item from selling is usually the price or the conditions of the sale...as in no shipping or the like.
Location may play a role here too.
Also with some items , the popularity of the item plays a part or what is wanted in trade is difficult to find.
Andy
Excellent point.

The first No Go that jumps out at me is the no shipping stipulation. Every mile someone has to drive adds to the cost for the item in both time and expense, so you're severely limiting the geographic scope of potential customers.
I don't like to ship. Otherwise I'd just list it on eBay.

Another half-hour of work for no pay. Finding the right box, stuffing, drive 20 minutes to the PO or hang around for a scheduled pickup. The risk of it not arriving the same condition as I sent it. Someone opening the box and changing their mind and does a charge-back. In person, you know better what you're getting before you pay. And some things ya just can't ship without extra work, like a lead sticker on the box, or sending co2 cartridges by land, or using the proper wording on boxes with a battery (like laser lights, i don't include them anymore.)

Oh, and the added price. Sending something that, say, costs less than $100 and shipping is 50 bucks, it's not worth it sometimes.

Anyway, my thoughts on that in no particular order. :)

Brings to mind a recent ad that elicited a response, "That price is ridiculous."

It was allowed to stand, I surmise, because the Moderators were just as confused as I was: It was a wonderful gun, and it was hard to tell (especially with the crazy market now) whether or not the response was complimentary or derogatory.

Or, because enforcement on this site is entirely subjective (sometimes self-interested) for the simple reason Moderators are humans (or represent themselves admirably as such).

I am going to volunteer one of my ads to get this started. I am guessing price may be the issue here but I am going to hold out at this price a little while longer as I am not in a hurry to sell.

https://www.northwestfirearms.com/t...k-of-large-rifle-primers.407002/#post-3227107
Since I live out in BFE, shipping is necessary and I am willing to pay that added cost if the total is =/< the price from the original mfg. If no shipping is stated, I just pass on by no matter how desirable the item is. Kinda have to remember that FTF sales have a cost for BOTH parties involved…so there is that.

The answer is ALWAYS price, using your barrel as am example.... at $90, that's a good deal, but I can resist... at $65, I'd be right there waiting for you to finish your coffee.
GLWS

My Veprs too,

at $2500 ea, not so attractive, at $1250 ea, they would sell today...

Everybody wants the best deal for the money, and everyone also want the most they can get for their items... finding the balance is the key

For me, many times it's the distance and background check thing. At least when you're talking about firearms. Since SB 941 came into being, I have been fairly lucky as a buyer, getting approved nearly instantly on most occasions. However, as a seller, I had a buyer that travelled some distance and then had to travel back a week later to get his rifle due to a hangup in the background check. I was fortunate in that he must have felt I was trustworthy enough to pay me for the goods in anticipation of getting the rifle later, and things worked out in that particular transaction. But I hate driving to Portland, so I sure wouldn't want to drive to say Hillsboro twice to get a gun, even before Biden gas prices.

On the bright side, I've seen some really good deals on guns I really didn't need (but lusted for anyway) and passed on them due to the distance/background check issue. I might be a pauper if it was easier to wheel and deal. :D

I miss the good old days of meeting in a Bi-Mart or Cabela's parking lot and transacting like free men/women.

The second No Go presents itself in the form of a question; Why would you buy three, decide to keep two, and sell this particular barrel but neither of the other two you decided to keep? Sounds like there is something about this particular barrel you don't like, but since you don't elaborate on what that is, potential buyers are left wondering "what's wrong with it?" A little clarification might go a long way toward getting it sold.
I realize I am going to miss out on a lot of potential buyers because I don't want to deal with shipping. I stress out easily and dealing with all aspects of shipping is not worth the worries it would create for me. I hadn't thought about somebody wondering if there is something wrong with one barrel. It is sealed but maybe I should offer to let the buyer choose the opened barrel or one that is still sealed?

No shipping on a $90 item, that is your problem. If it was something difficult to find like primers, H4350 or Varget people would make the drive but for a barrel you could buy online and have delivered while at work, there is no upside to your item unless someone needs it today.

Hell, I'll throw one in for review. I thought it'd sell okay, given the fact that I'm willing to deliver and it's market rate.

Everyone all stocked up on 5.56?

I will tell you why. Most people on this site are so tight you can't pound a needle up their butt with a sledgehammer. Plain and simple my friend.

Last Edited:
A few suggestions for people interested in selling or trading.

First, shed the jargon arrogance. Far too often we see classifieds so full of jargon, abbreviations, and acronyms that half the potential buyers don't know what the hell the seller has or is willing to trade for. Just spell it out. Ain't that difficult. The more a seller uses jargon, the more his or her arrogance is showing to potential buyers and it just turns them off.

Second, don't be shy with pictures. There is a direct correlation between more pictures provided and more sales/trades accomplished. One picture is rarely enough.

Lastly, be honest and transparent. If you're selling a firearm then explain up front why you no longer want it. And it doesn't hurt to explain why you think your price point is fair and if you're flexible with that, or exactly what you're looking to trade for. The more you make people guess about something, the more shady the classified will appear to them. Just answer all the obvious questions up front and be transparent.

I would have been only slightly more diplomatic in suggesting the seller PM the four Members who "liked" but didn't buy, for their reasoning.
I'm guilty of doing that, but my thinking is usually to support the item they are selling. For example, if someone is selling a firearm I already own, and I'm a fan of that firearm, I might hit "like" for the rather direct reason that I like what he or she is selling, not necessarily trying to show interest in buying. If that is poor protocol on my part then I can stop doing it, but up to now I didn't think that was bad behavior.

Some things are best left unsaid.
Like fishing for complements, careful what you ask for.
Yes, but...

Fishing for complements means someone only wants to hear the positive. You're right, that doesn't help. But if someone truly wants advice on how to improve, has an open mind (but not so open that their brain falls out), then that's something entirely different. I recall how President Roosevelt structured his war cabinet in WWII. He made sure that half the people were politicians who opposed his policies. When asked why, he said it was a critical life and death time for the country and we couldn't afford to just have a cheering section contributing to the decision-making process, we needed 360 degrees of perspective so that all the critical decisions were completely vetted. Of course, advertisements are not in that critical category, but hopefully you get the idea...

Bundles. Very few buyers want to buy your preferred holsters, optic, belt and backpack.

Customized guns are also difficult to find buyers for. Guns with owner-performed gunsmithing work. If the gun has Wilson Combat or Cajun Gun Works parts tell the audience who installed them.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top