JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I should have been more specific; I was referring to those in Tlock's specific line of work. If I was dealing with bears up close on a regular basis, I would carry at least a .44 mag too.
Don't get me wrong I kill most of my critters with a suppressed 22.....just have the 44 for the o ship situations. Those definitely do happen

My perspective, as a seller, on this is after placing several ads here on NWF selling some guns, I found that the market is very limited and buyers only want good deals and low prices. After testing a couple of ads with no inquiries and some lowballing. Removed ads and placed on Gun Broker and they sold for a much higher price than placing on NWF. with no bickering.

For example, a 700.00 gun on NWF with no offers or lowballing but on GB it sold for 900.00. Another one, I was expecting to get 8-900.00 but ended up selling it for 1400.00. So now I would only place mediocre guns on NWF and the higher-priced items on Gun Broker. Even some mediocre guns will sell well on GB if priced right. For those who want top dollar for their guns, you are not going to get it here on NWF. Everybody wants good deals including me.

Removed ads and placed on Gun Broker and they sold for a much higher price than placing on NWF. with no bickering.
Gunbrokers an auction style site, you will always get higher prices on auction sites as people stupidly get caught up in the bidding excitement. Thats entirely on the buyer.

My perspective, as a seller, on this is after placing several ads here on NWF selling some guns, I found that the market is very limited and buyers only want good deals and low prices. After testing a couple of ads with no inquiries and some lowballing. Removed ads and placed on Gun Broker and they sold for a much higher price than placing on NWF. with no bickering.

For example, a 700.00 gun on NWF with no offers or lowballing but on GB it sold for 900.00. Another one, I was expecting to get 8-900.00 but ended up selling it for 1400.00. So now I would only place mediocre guns on NWF and the higher-priced items on Gun Broker. Even some mediocre guns will sell well on GB if priced right. For those who want top dollar for their guns, you are not going to get it here on NWF. Everybody wants good deals including me.
Gunbroker does offer nationwide audience. I think very few buyers outside of the PNW hang out in NWFA classifieds.

Gunbroker does offer nationwide audience. I think very few buyers outside of the PNW hang out in NWFA classifieds.
Many sellers do not know the true value of the gun until they see what a nationwide audience will offer for it. To some buyers, some guns are hard to find so they will pay top dollar for it.

Do all of you guys carry .44 mags? I know a coworker of yours who relies on his old 29-2. He told me a story once of a bear falling at his feet, with, as I recall, a single round left in the cylinder. That's sure to get the adrenaline pumping. :eek:

That old gun was pristine when I sold it to him (a long time ago). The last time I saw it, it was looking very well used but still going strong. He's hard on his guns. I guess that happens when it's a tool used daily on the job.
I prefer a .44 mag with bear loads for woods carry. And for deer hunting. Just carrying in my own yard or taking neighborhood walks counts as woods carry since we have bears and cougars. We are close to MacDonald Forest. I had to chase a bear out of my yard once by putting a shot in ground next to it. It was after my ducks, and would not shoo just by being spotlighted or yelled at. And homes are far enough apart in my neighborhood that overpenetration isnt an issue. I enjoy shooting a full size .44 more than anything else.

For routine carry in city or about city in car or visiting farms where I do plant breeding work I carry a pre-lock SW 686 snubby. And also use for home defense. I may switch to a CZ P07 with 147gr hps for that ultimately. Use with suppressor for HD to protect hearing. Have got as far as buying the CZ and ammo. It needs a Cajun Gun works makeover and a suppressor. And I would need to shoot it a good bit before having the confidence in it I have in my 686. Saving money for upgrade and suppressor. No hurry. Bought CZ already partly because I had the chance, and wanted to get one before the gooberment goobers make it impossible. Wanna learn about and play with suppressor. (In case you've never lived in the South, a goober is a peanut.)

I should have been more specific; I was referring to those in Tlock's specific line of work. If I was dealing with bears up close on a regular basis, I would carry at least a .44 mag too.
We have an expert on bear SD on the thread. If you have a problem bear or cougar that must be killed or relocated, and you call Oregon authorities, @Tlock is the guy they send to take care of it.

What blows me away is people that list their guns at $40 under retail. It's like, dude after transfer I could have just bought a new one for $10 more?! Personally I'd rather lose 10-20% and have a quick easy sale than try to hold out for 4 weeks to make an extra $100 bucks.

Gunbrokers an auction style site, you will always get higher prices on auction sites as people stupidly get caught up in the bidding excitement. Thats entirely on the buyer.
I like being able to see the gun before buying.

What blows me away is people that list their guns at $40 under retail. It's like, dude after transfer I could have just bought a new one for $10 more?! Personally I'd rather lose 10-20% and have a quick easy sale than try to hold out for 4 weeks to make an extra $100 bucks.
And a new gun from a gun store comes with a warranty. I figure that's worth at least $100.

However, lots of people don't have access to a local gun store that has much inventory. And some people want the gun right now. Your local gun store may have some gun you could buy if you have no guns. But as for getting some particular gun, lots a luck unless it is a Glock.

I learned from making that mistake with a recent purchase from afar. Won't go into details, but the condition of what I received wasn't as described. Won't be doing that again.
Yeah. I made my first Gun broker buy a couple of months ago. A lovely 6.5" 629-3 . Waited with great anxiety. Turned out great. But I've seen lots of guns on gunbroker that looked great but I caught a serious problem on the photos that was not mentioned in text but was difficult to see on photo. One 6.5" 629 I looked at had a huge gouge on one of the cylinder stop slits. The sorta thing you get by flipping gun to close cylinder. Photos did not show other cylinder stops or the lever that interfaces with them. Probably dangerously out of timing. Would need new cylinder and the lever that interfaces with cylinder slits. Sometimes screw that is not normally unscrewed at all in revolvers shows abuse from being unscrewed with the wrong kind of screw driver. Meaning somebody really ignorant went digging into the gun's privates. Probably polished some parts to smooth action. Easy to end up with a gun that sonetimes/always impacts cartridge too weakly to fire reliably. Very often the roll marks are faint. Meaning entire gun was polished to remove rust, scratches, and corrosion. Inside of gun probably corroded too. Very easy to see most problems with a used revolver in your hands. But easy to conceal by just not showing that in photos.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top