JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What blows me away is people that list their guns at $40 under retail. It's like, dude after transfer I could have just bought a new one for $10 more?! Personally I'd rather lose 10-20% and have a quick easy sale than try to hold out for 4 weeks to make an extra $100 bucks.
Some people prefer to deal face to face, not use a credit card, and not deal with an out of state dealer or pay for shipping. It's not everyone, but more than a few people are that way.

There's also the issue of people that insist on haggling to the point of being insulting. You can build that into your sell price or decide to take less when the time comes. You simply are not going to negotiate up from your original asking price unless you add something to sweeten the deal.

People getting upset about what someone else is doing on the internet is beyond silly. Although it's sometimes fun to spin them up with posting that unlimited use Boefangs are on sale at 2 for $29. Those threads can get to be as funny as Monty Python skit about the Roman Emperors best friend Bigus Dickus.

Some people prefer to deal face to face, not use a credit card, and not deal with an out of state dealer or pay for shipping. It's not everyone, but more than a few people are that way.

There's also the issue of people that insist on haggling to the point of being insulting. You can build that into your sell price or decide to take less when the time comes. You simply are not going to negotiate up from your original asking price unless you add something to sweeten the deal.

People getting upset about what someone else is doing on the internet is beyond silly. Although it's sometimes fun to spin them up with posting that unlimited use Boefangs are on sale at 2 for $29. Those threads can get to be as funny as Monty Python skit about the Roman Emperors best friend Bigus Dickus.
Why do they titter so?

What blows me away is people that list their guns at $40 under retail. It's like, dude after transfer I could have just bought a new one for $10 more?! Personally I'd rather lose 10-20% and have a quick easy sale than try to hold out for 4 weeks to make an extra $100 bucks.
Even if it's 100.00 below retail is a hard sell for a used gun, As-is, after adding transfer fees to the cost.. You might as well buy a new gun instead. That's one reason people would rather keep their used guns instead of selling them at a loss.

Even if it's 100.00 below retail is a hard sell for a used gun, As-is, after adding transfer fees to the cost.. You might as well buy a new gun instead. That's one reason people would rather keep their used guns instead of selling them at a loss.
Some of the new guns these days just don't compare to alot of the older stuff.....most of my firearms are older than me

Some of the new guns these days just don't compare to alot of the older stuff.....most of my firearms are older than me
Right. Like all the SW revolvers. The pre lock ones were completely redesigned and down graded to make the post lock ones. Not just the lock. The pre lock Smiths are the best they ever made in J, K, L, and N frame.

Right. Like all the SW revolvers. The pre lock ones were completely redesigned and down graded to make the post lock ones. Not just the lock. The pre lock Smiths are the best they ever made in J, K, L, and N frame.
Have you personally had bad experiences with the post lock S&Ws? While I would agree that I prefer my pre-lock 686 plus, I would definitely NOT consider my 629-6 to be garbage.

Have you personally had bad experiences with the post lock S&Ws? While I would agree that I prefer my pre-lock 686 plus, I would definitely NOT consider my 629-6 to be garbage.
The function of the lock is not the issue. It happened to be added about the same time as a whole series of design changes that represented SW making a gun by the same name that was cheaper to make so could stay competitive in price with Rugers. Labor had become more expensive and the original design required much more hand fitting and finishing than Rugers. The new design had higher tolerances, poorer fit and finish, worse trigger, less accuracy. Vastly inferior even if the lock had not been added. For example, the DX versions that came out before the model change were individual guns that put three shots at 50 yards into less than 1.5" group. After the redesign they defined DX guns as individual guns that put three shots into under 2" at 25 yards. Then they dropped the whole DX thing. Fact is, basically every pre-lock SW .357 or .44 of 4" or longer barrel length could keep everything at 2" or under fired from ransom rest when fired with quality ammo. A pre lock Smith with a 4" or longer barrel that couldn't keep everything under 4" at 50 yards would be really below average. But after the design change they thought it was noteworthy if just some revolvers could do a single mere 3-shot group under 4" at 50 yards. Totally not what I want in a hunting gun.

The various design changes were needed to keep prices competitive with Rugers and Colts. SW would probably have gone under had they not made those changes in their mass market guns. I don't think your 629-6 is "garbage." I would probably still prefer it to a Ruger for most purposes. And I'd prefer both to a Taurus. Its just that I would much rather have a 629-4. Especially for hunting. As to comparing it with a new Anaconda, dont know. I've heard the new Colts ain't what they used to be either.

I have never owned a Smith with a lock. From reading on the internet, there are apparently some cases where the lock locks by itself in response to recoil. But all cases I've heard of involved guns whose owners actually use the locks, probably causing it to move more freely. Apparently, if you dont use the lock it at least doesn't lock by itself. So having the lock doesn't hurt anything as long as you don't use it. That's useful to know if you want a new model that came out after the lock era. Such as the X frame revolvers in .460 and 500. Or those with a titanium frame. Or the 5-shot L frame model 69.

download.jpeg-107.jpg

Having a mix of old and new I'm not so sure I agree. For yourself and others maybe that is all truth, but for me not so much. My perspective is that newer guns, at least the quality ones, are made with tighter tolerances and better actions than most older firearms, and heightened accuracy bears that out. Not to mention new techology like carbon barrels. You can still get high quality wooden stocks new, but that comes at a more premium price. Maybe today's cheap run-of-the-mill plasticky throw-away guns don't compare in quality to older lower tier guns, but I personally love today's outstanding higher quality firearms.

Having a mix of old and new I'm not so sure I agree. For yourself and others maybe that is all truth, but for me not so much. My perspective is that newer guns, at least the quality ones, are made with tighter tolerances and better actions than most older firearms, and heightened accuracy bears that out. Not to mention new techology like carbon barrels. You can still get high quality wooden stocks new, but that comes at a more premium price. Maybe today's cheap run-of-the-mill plasticky throw-away guns don't compare in quality to older lower tier guns, but I personally love today's outstanding higher quality firearms.
I have alot of both.....I personally would rather shoot my 1947 winchester modle 70 than my new custom nosler. My new Marlin (ruger) is nice but nothing like my old waffle top. Maybe I'm just bias

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top