JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Since I am big into the PCC's if I had to only have one? It would be 9mm. Ammo is super easy to find and I of course always have plenty. Right now of the 4 PCC's I have in 9mm it would be the Ruger I would let go last. Getting parts together for an AR pistol now in 9mm. Assuming it works well that would probably take over the only one gun spot as it would be easier to pack off.

I like the boring choice for this one. Ar15. Light, accurate, plentiful parts and ammo, powerful enough to take any game and can defeat light body armor.

I'd feel outgunned with a .22lr.

Hawken.jpg
My .54 caliber Hawken Rifle.
Its the rifle I shoot the best with....So if I gotta make that shot count...this is the rifle I go to.
Andy

View attachment 633963
My .54 caliber Hawken Rifle.
Its the rifle I shoot the best with....So if I gotta make that shot count...this is the rifle I go to.
Andy

Tangential question; have you ever made your own blackpowder? (I had an acquaintance years ago who was very much into muzzle-loading and one of his SHTF plans was to use a Hawken, cast his own projectiles, and just have a large stock of percussion caps on hand. Anyway, just curious. :))

;) all of 'em. Being of the "thin-on-top and thick-in-the-middle set" .....
.... unless the scenario has my home as a pile of glowing, flaming, rubble, that's where you'll find me and mine.

( It'll be easy to spot .... It'll be the house with all the looters bodies surrounding it. )

Last Edited:
Tangential question; have you ever made your own blackpowder? (I had an acquaintance years ago who was very much into muzzle-loading and one of his SHTF plans was to use a Hawken, cast his own projectiles, and just have a large stock of percussion caps on hand. Anyway, just curious. :))
Yes I have made my own black powder...I took the "recipe" from the book "Foxefire 5"
It was about the same as 2F and worked well...not that I was ever going to put GOEX outta business...but it was fun and neat to know that it can be done.
Andy

Yes I have made my own black powder...I took the "recipe" from the book "Foxefire 5"
It was about the same as 2F and worked well...not that I was ever going to put GOEX outta business...but it was fun and neat to know that it can be done.
Andy
Black powder? Psshhhh.

Wake me up when you turn lead into gold.

;)

Andy

Very cool. And I loved the Foxfire books. (For those that haven't read them, there are PDFs floating around on the Intratubes.)

I have a 16" Armalite AR-10 for big iron, it has a Redfield 3 x 9 less expensive scope on it now. I have a better Vortexthat I should mount on the AR-10. The wife would take my Noveske upper 18" AR-15 with Leopold scout scope as she shoots it well.

.22 would be a 10/22 stainless, synthetic take down and I think I would take my Henry Pump, though I considered my Henry deluxe lever 22 Magnum, I have plenty of ammo for all four calibers.

What rifle? Fact is, I wouldn't choose a rifle. I'd choose my pump shotgun because of the ammo choices and, to be frank, the "get off me right now" factor. I'm not going to combat, I'm surviving.

BUT if I had to pick a rifle, it'd be my Winchester 94 because it's small, light and I know first hand that it'll kill. There's some confidence involved in carrying something you've taken (animal) life with

Sounds like OPs scenario is less SHTF and more "I'm poor."

Lots of poor people survive without guns. I think that means you could survive with literally any gun.

My vote, FN SCAR 17 because lol at nearly homeless with a $3k rifle. Like the kids that live at home and buy $1k Nikes.

Not a tangent to the subject at all - the ability to makeyour own powder and bullets is a huge advantage. If triue SHTF happens at some point the last round of smokeless ammo will have been fired, but Andy or his descendants can keep on truckin.

Not a tangent to the subject at all - the ability to makeyour own powder and bullets is a huge advantage. If triue SHTF happens at some point the last round of smokeless ammo will have been fired, but Andy or his descendants can keep on truckin.
You'd see some pretty neat Kabooms from mix and match powders at some point

I stopped participating in mental self-pleasuring "what if" scenarios quite a while ago.... the gun that I'll take into any particular "type" of SHTF situation that may occur will be the one that's with me at the time, because I'm always strapped.

Okay, I'll play.

In such scenarios, Rule of Law is gone. That means the NFA would be toilet paper and a memory, so IF the weapons were available, lets say a guy had a reliable AR pistol, and a carbine or rifle length gun - that pistol is getting a stock and becoming a handy SBR. I have no illusions of killing large game for food - in fact the scenario I see playing out more likely is being in urban confines and dealing with the zombies that inhabit it, fighting for food, resources, and security while trying to band with others to re-create a safer community. Lone wolves die alone.

So an AR with a 10.5 to 12.5 inch barrel, kept light weight with a free floated handguard, a non-electronic optic like a fixed 3 or 4 power scope or a 1-4X scope and a set of irons - be they co-witnessed, flip ups, or offset wins in this scenario. The gun is compact, light weight, and still capable to reach out and touch someone at reasonable distances. 5.56 / .223 ammo is ubiquitous, and you'll likely be able to obtain more through different means if we're talking blue helmets, dead soldiers or cops, or dead "preppers" and looters if you're one of the survivors.

IF you're killing game animals with this rifle in this scenario, the AR is accurate enough for head shots at decent range, and a head shot from a 5.56 should drop a deer, maybe even an elk. But again - I don't see hunting big game as a realistic thing in a WROL / SHTF scenario. A fire fight with looters or possibly even authoritarian uniformed personnel is much more realistic.

That rifle can be broken down and stuffed into a normal daypack, or into a larger hunting / hiking pack, it can easily sit up front with you in a vehicle, or behind/under a seat. And it should tip the scales around 6lbs unloaded maybe less if you're careful with parts.

One may also wish to find a coat hanger in such a scenario, though I think you're still better off just sticking to standard internals on a semi auto. Obtaining or building a can would be good too.

In our modern, current, rule of law society, of course one should obtain the proper NFA tax stamps and abide by all of the myriad of firearms laws so you don't loose your rights to have those guns when the time may come that you need them ;)

I have made a few caps using a soda cap and strike anywhere matches...:D
Andy

Andy is secretly McGuiver. Kidding, very neato.

I stopped participating in mental self-pleasuring "what if" scenarios quite a while ago.... the gun that I'll take into any particular "type" of SHTF situation that may occur will be the one that's with me at the time, because I'm always strapped.

Most elucidating. I am reminded of the lyrical prose of the contemporary poet, Ice Cube:

"AK-47 is the tool​
Don't make me act the motherf*ckin fool​
Me you can go toe to toe, no maybe"​

If you're actually homeless, I'm thinking the rifle you keep should be a pistol.. ideally, a good one.
Unless it really is shtf times, then just mad max it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top