JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
the kids story is straight up bs the birdshot would not have spread that much in 10 ft.

Well, the pictures are the end result, after penetration in tissues of varying densities. From what I've seen even from ballistic gel shots, once the shot hits the material, it'll deflect. And maybe the kid shot him with a sawed off shotgun, which probably enhances the spread a bit too.

If you live in Portland and Multnomah County and you shoot someone who is not armed in your house and he/she/it (it is Portland after all) and they die you are going to go to prison unless you have lots of money to fight it. (No more guns for you)

So in teh dark in my house I have to wait to find out if the invader has a firearm until I shoot - thsi does not make sense to me - do you have anything to back this statement up - please.
I dont beleive what you posted but please prove me wrong.

James Ruby

Well, the pictures are the end result, after penetration in tissues of varying densities. From what I've seen even from ballistic gel shots, once the shot hits the material, it'll deflect. And maybe the kid shot him with a sawed off shotgun, which probably enhances the spread a bit too.

no cylinder bore is cylinder bore, too many movies, a sawed off shotgun is less lethal. less velocity. less penetration

They call it "Bird Shot" for a reason. Please, anyone, find any professional that recomends birdshot for self-defense, or one self-defense ammo that uses birdshot. It doesn't exist, because you need the larger mass to ensure penetration of clothing, skin and bones. Use some sort of buckshot. I understand not wanting to overpenetrate in an apartment, or something is better than nothing, but birdshot doesn't even demolish clay pigeons on the range. If my life or my family is in danger, I want something that will stop the threat. OO buck for me.

2-3/4" 00buck in the chamber with 2-3/4" #4buck stacked in the tube. I have a slug on my bedside table but im not sure for what. . . . Seems to me like 2-3/4" ought to be fine but i dont know the "true" answer. The mixed loads sound cool and im sure they work real well but its cheaper to keep it 00 and #4 for practice

I dont get the "Racking a shotgun" thing. It seems like a lack of familiarity with the weapon system itself. I mean, racking the shotgun at the beginning either means you didnt have one in the chamber (wtf?) or it means you thought at the last minute "Oops! I brought one too many rounds to this fight. Better throw this one away so it rolls under the couch where i can find it later, in case I need it, in that other fight." Seriously though, i dont get it.

I too leave some lights on in the house. +1 To training in your house (No live fire folks!:s0155:)

I haven't tested this, but I have read that pump action shotguns are not drop safe, which is why I don't keep a live round in the chamber. I have six extra rounds on the sidesaddle and can top off if needed.

They call it "Bird Shot" for a reason. Please, anyone, find any professional that recomends birdshot for self-defense, or one self-defense ammo that uses birdshot. It doesn't exist, because you need the larger mass to ensure penetration of clothing, skin and bones. Use some sort of buckshot. I understand not wanting to overpenetrate in an apartment, or something is better than nothing, but birdshot doesn't even demolish clay pigeons on the range. If my life or my family is in danger, I want something that will stop the threat. OO buck for me.
have you ever tried using buckshot on clay pigeons? so you are comparing apples to oranges (you would be lucky to hit a clay pigeon) also you must have a very large house to have those type of distances to shoot in a h d situation.

2-3/4" 00buck in the chamber with 2-3/4" #4buck stacked in the tube. I have a slug on my bedside table but im not sure for what. . . . Seems to me like 2-3/4" ought to be fine but i dont know the "true" answer. The mixed loads sound cool and im sure they work real well but its cheaper to keep it 00 and #4 for practice

I dont get the "Racking a shotgun" thing. It seems like a lack of familiarity with the weapon system itself. I mean, racking the shotgun at the beginning either means you didnt have one in the chamber (wtf?) or it means you thought at the last minute "Oops! I brought one too many rounds to this fight. Better throw this one away so it rolls under the couch where i can find it later, in case I need it, in that other fight." Seriously though, i dont get it.

I too leave some lights on in the house. +1 To training in your house (No live fire folks!:s0155:)

It's supposed to be intimidation, but in my experience small dogs bark the most

Sorry, that chest wound was from about 25 yards. The spread pattern and lack of penetration can't be explained any other way. At 10 feet a load of birdshot acts like a hollow point slug. At 10 feet there would be a 2 inch hole front to back that you could read a newspaper through. I've seen those results.

As to a round chambered? No, not in my house. My model 37 Ithaca will slam fire as fast as you can pump it if you hold the trigger down. No need for a round in the chamber.

Regarding buckshot versus birdshot...

If you stood 10 feet from someone who was going to throw exactly one pound of matter at your face as hard as they possibly could, which do you think would be more painful to get hit with...one pound of sand or one pound of ball bearings? Same weight and same velocity equals the same number of foot-pounds of energy, so while the "ballistics" of both loads would be identical, their effect on you would be dramatically different. I know which load I would prefer to get hit with......

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top