JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So to get back to the original question. I don't count rounds that I bring to the range per day or whatever. My personal stocking level is a 50 cal ammo can of ammo per caliber. I bring this gun(s) and this ammo can(s) and shoot until I'm done. When an ammo can get light I fill it up again. If per chance I can't make or buy a caliber I just shoot a different one for awhile.

I don't get the "dont shoot your edc" at the range stuff. Surely poeple have more than one magazine? Just leave one loaded with SD ammo and shoot the other mags.

Practicing with your edc is the most important practice imo. For me every time I go to the range one of the first things I do is edc practice. Imagine you are reacting to a real world scenario and practice it. Don't slow fire practice it instead or you'll be training your body and mind for the wrong thing. Just like an airline pilot who practices an emergency 100s of times, practice dealing with a likely scenario deliberately and confidently.
When I'm training with my EDC I use my SD ammo and practice double/triple taps at different distances and positions.
My SD ammo is loaded hotter than my practice ammo of same weight bullet.
And I never shoot it all during practice sessions.

I don't have a strict limit, but I have multiple factors that bring ammo usage and pricing down:

-I shoot almost exclusively guns that are not semi auto. I still have semis, but they are more so for emergencies. Bolt actions are my favorite for rifle and revolvers for pistol.

-I reload all my own ammo with the exception of 22LR. This brings ammo costs way down.

-I cast my own projectiles as much as possible. Some calibers are not made for cast bullets (.223), but 30cal and up is where it shines. I run a rough mix of 50% melted down range bullets, and 50% fishing weights. Powder coat them and shoot. If they are going faster (.308) I gas check. If they are going slow (.38 special/.480 Ruger) I run a plane base. The amount of bullet molds out there is just wild, totally unappreciated by most shooters. I just recently bought a 9mm Makarov deep hollowpoint mold for example.

-I try to stick with strong steel actions (just in case I double charge a round), and try to use low pressure rounds with big projectiles. A big benefit of casting/reloading is the amount of control you have over your ammo. Unique bullet diameters, shapes, charges, and even a level of interchability between components (Same cast bullet for .308 and 7.5x55 for example). I also try to reload for calibers with cheap primers (small rifle and small pistol). This brings cost down.

-I always bring home a handful of brass from the range. 9mm and .223 are always plentiful!

-It takes time, learning, and some money, but you can shoot way more, with better accuracy (sometimes dramatically better for milsurps), and have more control over your final product, for less money.

20240403_015032.jpg

I just got new grips for my 357 Blackhawk, a rubber grip sleeve for my G-22 and grip tape for my g-32 so I'm off to do product testing by shooting 357 Mag, 40 S&W and 357 Sig. As I was in the gun safe I realized I hadn't shot my Sig P-220 10mm in a while so will bring that along as well.

I just got new grips for my 357 Blackhawk, a rubber grip sleeve for my G-22 and grip tape for my g-32 so I'm off to do product testing by shooting 357 Mag, 40 S&W and 357 Sig. As I was in the gun safe I realized I hadn't shot my Sig P-220 10mm in a while so will bring that along as well.
:s0122:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads