JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't think it matters that much that people have some technical misunderstandings of firearms parts and operation.

Our obsession with correctness at that level is a massive distraction. Whenever some new gun legislation comes up, so many of the comments seem to be about how technically ignorant legislators are, as if that is some kind of viable argument against whatever they are proposing. "Should thing that goes up" - right, funny ha ha, but getting us nowhere. You don't win moral battles on small technicalities.

Safety, yes. Technical knowledge that matters for safety and defensive use, like how to clear a jam - YES.

Right to bear foundational knowledge - YES.

"It's a magazine, not a clip" - YAWN

(Though that kind of thing is not nearly as harmful to the 2A cause as all the dire and wacky apocalyptic "they are coming for us and our children" type krap, which makes gun owners look like a bunch of irrational doomer kooks.)
Anti-gun politicians focus on specific gun features and call them dangerous. Pistol grips, adjustable stocks, flash hiders, etc. Putting those features in the appropriate context is probably worthwhile IMO.

Anti-gun politicians focus on specific gun features and call them dangerous. Pistol grips, adjustable stocks, flash hiders, etc. Putting those features in the appropriate context is probably worthwhile IMO.
Right, and wouldn't it be great if the technical comments were more consistently focused on useful things like that?

Chinese balloons?:s0114:
1681063612257.png

Aloha, Mark

The target audience would be people who know very little about guns and want to get safety training without actually learning to shoot. The goal would be to spread core knowledge about firearms and promote safe handling. The course would need to be adaptable to either in-person or virtual delivery.

What topic(s) would you recommend including in this kind of course ..
What is a firearm? ..chemical propellant. gunpowder vs smokeless powder. Difference between non-explosives, explosives and high explosives. Non-firearm guns, i.e. super soaker, not a firearm. pneumatic rifles/handguns, electronic rail guns -- not a firearm. Crossbow, spear gun, Luke Skywalkers light saber - not firearms. Flintlock or muzzle loading percussion cap ignition rifles - they are firearms, ATF - Non-controlled firearm. Cap ignition revolver - a firearm, ATF - non controlled firearm. Death star pulse canon - not a firearm - ATF, probably a destructive device?

Basic firearm safety as listed above. Golden rules of firearms.

This is how you hand any gun to someone else. Check that the chamber is empty and then show the recipient that the chamber is empty. This is showing that you respect the recipients life and welfare enough to show them the you are handing them a safe gun! Damn shocking how many people, even in the gun culture, don't know how to properly hand a gun to someone else! Example: Alec Baldwin would not be a news story if the handler had just shown Alec that all the bullets were blanks when she handed him the revolver. DUH!!!! One less person killed by firearm ignorance.

Importance of gun knowledge and knowledge of gun safety for EVERYONE - Estimated half Billion fire arms legally owned in the US. Jon-Erik Hexum - He died by an accidental self-inflicted blank cartridge gunshot to the head on the set of "Cover Up" - just ignorance. Track coach lost finger due to holding a blank starting pistol improperly with 2 hands. We teach children not to cross the street without looking both ways... basic safety.

This is a hand gun, this is a rifle, this is a shot gun.

Characteristics of a hand gun:

This is a revolver. These are the parts of a revolver and this is how a revolver works. These are common proper holds for a revolver. Revolvers have a blast of hot gasses coming from between the cylinder and the barrel at super sonic speeds that can take a finger off.

This is a semi auto. These are the parts of a semi auto and this is how it works. Here are common proper holds for a semi-auto. Her are improper holds for a semi auto. These are common malfunctions of a semi-auto and this is how to clear them. These are the improper ways to clear a jam and how to kill yourself or someone else while panicking over a clearing a jam.

This is what single action means and how they work. This is what double action means and how it works. This is a SA/DA. This is a striker fired gun. Contrast the differences.

This is a .22lr, this is a .38spl, this is a .357, this is a .44mag. This is a .380, this is a 9mm, this is a .40sw, this is a .45scp. ALL of these rounds are lethal!!! Some rounds have more power than other rounds - describe their uses and differences.... BUT THEY ARE ALL POTENTIALLY LETHAL!

Characteristics of a rifle:
Single shot rifles, magazine fed rifles / tube fed rifles. Removable magazine fed rifles.

Single shot, Lever action, Bolt Action, Pump action, semi auto, full auto.

Description of each type of rifle and contrast the differences.

Common rifle cartridges and where the cartridges might be commonly used. .22lr - small game, .223 varmints at a distance, 243 / 30-30 medium game, 7.62x39 antipersonnel , .308 - medium to large game, 300 win mag -large game and large predators, 50bmg anti-vehicle round, 20mm anti-armored vehicle round and aircraft, 30mm anti tank (Warthog). Crossover between different cartridges. They are all potentially lethal! You can be hit in the hand with a 30mm depleted Uranium core round and you probably won't die if you stop the bleeding. If you are hit in the temple with a .22lr you probably will die. Jon-Erik Hexum - killed by a piece of cardboard and hot gasses from a blank round... he was just trying to be funny because he messed up his line. (Shot placement = dirty word to lefties.)

Lead vs. lead hp vs FMJ vs JHP, vs armor piercing.

Characteristics and types of shotguns.

Different gauges of shot guns and what gauge means.

Different types of shot and what they are used for.

Steel shot, lead poisoning of predators? -- Maybe, or maybe too controversial?

ATF's AOW - any other weapon.
etc.

If you want people to immediately stop reading and learning just add the slightest bit of pro-2a, pro gun politics and they will dismiss EVERYTHING else you are trying to teach them. Stick to facts stay away from any opinions! STAY NETURAL IN YOUR PRESENTATION! I.e. Guns don't kill people, people kill people = immediate tune out from the audience you are trying to reach and complete disregard for EVERYTHING you have said as complete hogwash.

P.S. a picture is worth a thousand words. This is what a revolver looks like. These are pictures of the pieces making up a revolver.

Last Edited:
What I would like to have in a class (but nobody would go I suppose):

1) why the founding fathers created the second ammendment

2) why they ensured everyone has the right to self protection at a time when murder rates with guns per capita is higher than it is today

3) violent criminal behavior causes people to die, not guns or any other weapon. And currently our country is growing violent criminal behavior on a massive scale.

4) poeple or politicians can not vote away the fundamental rights guaranteed in the constitution

5) explain that what if it were the first ammendment or other that were attacked the way the 2nd is. Fe Permit required to exercise freedom of speech. Ban freedom of speech, etc

Last Edited:
What I would like to have in a class (but nobody would go I suppose):

1) why the founding fathers created the second ammendment

2) why they ensured everyone has the right to self protection at a time when murder rates with guns per capita is higher than it is today

3) violent criminal behavior causes people to die, not guns or any other weapon. And currently our country is growing violent criminal behavior on a massive scale.

4) poeple or politicians can not vote away the fundamental rights guaranteed in the constitution

5) explain that what if it were the first ammendment or other that were attacked the way the 2nd is. Fe Permit required to exercise freedom of speech. Ban freedom of speech, etc
All very valid points but the target audience I believe the OP is trying to reach won't make it through the word "second" to the word "amendment"... in my experience.

Last Edited:
Teach the true meaning of "Militia".

On the night of April 18, 1775, hundreds of British troops marched from Boston to nearby Concord, Massachusetts in order to seize an arms cache. Paul Revere and other riders sounded the alarm, and colonial militiamen began mobilizing to intercept the Redcoats. On April 19, local militiamen clashed with British soldiers in the Battles of Lexington and Concord in Massachusetts, marking the "shot heard round the world" that signified the start of the Revolutionary War.

Last Edited:
As some others have noted, classes like the NRA Basic (pistol, rifle, shotgun) contain the "basic" information from safety through nomenclature to use. Both NRA and NSSF have first Steps/Shots that is much shorter and covers these as well. Our range has an introduction to handguns through our Education Foundation once a month that is open to members and the public at no cost covering the basics with some live fire as well. It fills each month.

I would recommend looking into the information from something like the NRA class, which has been going for decades now, and is also updated (not perfect, but a very good starting point) regularly. No sense in reinventing the wheel. I know folks bash the NRA (myself included with some of their antics) but their educational programs provide a very solid base for education.

I don't think it matters that much that people have some technical misunderstandings of firearms parts and operation.

Our obsession with correctness at that level is a massive distraction. Whenever some new gun legislation comes up, so many of the comments seem to be about how technically ignorant legislators are, as if that is some kind of viable argument against whatever they are proposing. "Should thing that goes up" - right, funny ha ha, but getting us nowhere. You don't win moral battles on small technicalities.

Safety, yes. Technical knowledge that matters for safety and defensive use, like how to clear a jam - YES.

Right to bear foundational knowledge - YES.

"It's a magazine, not a clip" - YAWN

(Though that kind of thing is not nearly as harmful to the 2A cause as all the dire and wacky apocalyptic "they are coming for us and our children" type krap, which makes gun owners look like a bunch of irrational doomer kooks.)
It's just the next iteration of the "I use logic and you use emotion" line of argumentation. Just another way to dismiss someone's concerns with a tinge of "we're better than you" and sprinkle of "holier than thou" fallacies. The grammar nazis have taken their autism to new heights, and it's rather annoying anytime you see it (this coming from an aspie).

To the OP - everyone should know to to clear and render inoperable the most common firearms around. How to eject a mag and clear a chamber at minimum. How to remove a bolt, bcg, or slide for the gifted kids in the class. (Recall the scene during the '20 riots of a dude providing security yoinking a stolen AR from a d-bag and then removing the BCG before stashing it away - I'd say this was a valuable bit of knowledge for taking the weapon out of the situation)

Last Edited:
Basic firearms safety.

Treat every weapon as if it was loaded

Never point your weapon at anything you don't intend to shoot.

Keep your weapon on safe until you're ready to fire.

Keep your finger off the trigger until you're ready to fire.

Know your target and what lies beyond it.

Your name is written on every bullet that comes out of that gun. Whether it be recreational or in self defense.
Per an extremely experienced instuctor of mine, there are only two rules. If only these are followed, it is impossible to have an accident:
1. Do not point the firearm at anything you're not willing to destroy
2. Keep your finger off the trigger until ready to fire

I use his logic whenever I'm talking to brand new shooters - much easier to remember two rules than four (or five in your case) in a new and potentially stressful environment.

Per an extremely experienced instuctor of mine, there are only two rules. If only these are followed, it is impossible to have an accident:
1. Do not point the firearm at anything you're not willing to destroy
2. Keep your finger off the trigger until ready to fire

I use his logic whenever I'm talking to brand new shooters - much easier to remember two rules than four (or five in your case) in a new and potentially stressful environment.
5 rules is easy to remember. Marines aren't known for their intellect and they have no issues spitting out the 5 rules…….

Especially in the marines when you pay if you forget as a boot. Pain retains.

You can break any of the five rules and be OK. The minute you break two of the five rules then issues will arise.

You'd also get your legs swept out from underneath you or your head slammed into the ground if you violated rules on the range.

5 rules is easy to remember. Marines aren't known for their intellect and they have no issues spitting out the 5 rules…….

Especially in the marines when you pay if you forget as a boot. Pain retains.

You can break any of the five rules and be OK. The minute you break two of the five rules then issues will arise.

You'd also get your legs swept out from underneath you or your head slammed into the ground if you violated rules on the range.
1. Do what you're told.
2. Do what you're told.
3. Do what you're told.
4. Do what you're told.
5. Don't f' up and do what you're told.

1. Do what you're told.
2. Do what you're told.
3. Do what you're told.
4. Do what you're told.
5. Don't f' up and do what you're told.
Operate from the neck down.

Part of the reason I got out. But it works for certain mechanics/scenarios.

The basics are already well covered in material already available, but a good reminder to add to them would be that criminals who already break the law don't care about gun laws, so those only inhibit individuals who are already intent on following the law.

A lot of great suggestions. NRA beat you to it, they already have a basic intro to handguns course and then a more in depth course that includes the how to shoot parts. I have taught the more in depth course and it is a decent introductory course. Politics aside and whether you like NRA or not, they do their core mission of training pretty well.

They also have the equivalent on the rifle side and all of my comments above apply to that course as well.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top