JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Seeing bills like HB1240 passing with blatantly false claims about how guns work and what different parts do has made me realize we need way more education geared toward the general public, not just those within the 2A community. With this in mind I've been thinking about putting together a course to teach the average person about guns - not how to shoot, but general concepts like how they work and how to be safe around them.

The target audience would be people who know very little about guns and want to get safety training without actually learning to shoot. The goal would be to spread core knowledge about firearms and promote safe handling. The course would need to be adaptable to either in-person or virtual delivery.

What topic(s) would you recommend including in this kind of course and why?

Basic firearms safety.

Treat every weapon as if it was loaded

Never point your weapon at anything you don't intend to shoot.

Keep your weapon on safe until you're ready to fire.

Keep your finger off the trigger until you're ready to fire.

Know your target and what lies beyond it.

Your name is written on every bullet that comes out of that gun. Whether it be recreational or in self defense.

In days gone by many organizations presented courses such as you describe. Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, 4H, FFA, even the NRA and the list goes on... Most ranges can put you in contact with a firearms safety program in your area.
Assuming safety hasn't been outlawed by your local politicians.

The target audience would be people who know very little about guns and want to get safety training without actually learning to shoot. The goal would be to spread core knowledge about firearms and promote safe handling. The course would need to be adaptable to either in-person or virtual delivery.
Spreading the word is never a bad thing.

BUT: A couple of things come to mind. If I understand your original post correctly.

(1) Where do you find these people who want to know about guns but don't plan to shoot? I'd expect that might be a thin prospect. Those parents of the past who had 4H (for example) shooter kids might've been in the category you describe. But youth shooters are scarce these days, and "modern" parents mostly don't want their kids to have guns so why would they go to the class? The NRA has a hard time getting the Eddie Eagle gun safety program across; some parents actually protest against it. They think it's pro-gun propaganda, and ignore the inherent safety aspect.

(2) You might do better to get aboard the mandatory firearm training that is very like to come about with HB 1143 here in Wash. Possibly quite soon. Mandatory is the key word here. You are going to have a baked-in clientele, people who MUST take a class to get what they want. Most of the "gun people" I've known over the years are not particularly of the class-taking mindset. While not stupid, most of them don't have that academic urge; like the starry-eyed learners who will take any class offered because they like to take classes. Gun people will line up to take a class about getting a multi-state carry permit. Some might pay money to take the odd armorer's class. But as to guns, most are probably self-taught or had a hands-on mentor. And figure they don't need the class. Under the provisions of HB 1143 to buy guns, they will have to take the class.

1143 outlines the qualification requirements for firearm safety trainers. NRA safety programs aren't mentioned by name in the bill, but in a general way. So if you don't have that NRA range safety instructor card yet, it might be wise to get one if this is going to be a business proposition.. 1143 passed both chambers yesterday, so it's certain to be signed by the governor, seeing as how he requested it. Since the training will be mandatory, there is money to be made by trainers. I don't see this being like the semi-fake training certificate that was acceptable under I-1639. Online training methods will likely be developed, and some organizations with dues paying members may offer them for free. But there is very likely to be individual demand for the service. People who give classes often get paid for teaching them.

It's also possible that getting this training regimen set up and running will delay gun sales and transfers for a time. Time will tell.

Topics to cover :

Safety of course....

Basic firearm Identification...

Basic ballistics...as in just what bullets and shot actually do , versus what media and Hollywood say they do...

Tossing out the idea that just 'cause someone owns a firearm doesn't make 'em the stereotype that both the media and Hollywood make popular...

Yes you have to aim...even with a shotgun...and only good practice will make a good shot...

Just because you have a firearm , doesn't mean that it should be your one and only recourse for self defense...

Related to the above....many folks own firearms for different reasons , not only for self defense....

Also related to the above..."Tactical " is a naughty word....and one to be avoided....:D
Andy

Let's say you have a demographic looking strictly for informational education, and you've already got firearms handling and safety covered. There could also be a benefit in teaching basic takedown, assembly, maintenance, build and construction. I agree with teaching firearms identification and ballistics, but people should also learn how they work and how they're made. Learning the difference between single action, double action, striker fire, bolt, semi automatic, and fully automatic in addition to how trigger mechanisms work including sears and safety. Ballistics training should cover different calibers, bullet weights types, and loads, but could also include bullet construction and how bullets actually fire, and need to be chambered to become projectile. Also cover storage and handling.
I think a great deal of knowledge can be covered in a relatively consolidated session. You could always offer follow ups for more in-depth training.
Also firearms history.

Another consideration maybe some of the programs funded by the federal government. Back in the day I attended a number of firearm related courses, many of these programs also offer good travel benefits.

1389ae8f70293936c385b78--usmc-recruiting-semper-fi.jpg

Only treat a gun as loaded of you feel like it.

Make sure you don't check the chamber and point the gun at your big toe and pull the trigger a bunch of times, specifically while watching wheel of fortune

If your gun says .357, that means any .357 ammo will work. Sig, magnum, maximum whatever. If it says .380, totally buy .38 special because the special part is the cheaper price

When you pay for the gun, make sure it's with dirty, wrinkled $1 bills you pull out of your bra or waistband. That's how we know you're a working man.

You gotta look down the barrel all squinty like to see if it's got a round in the chamber. Can't do it any other way. Don't use a flashlight, you HAVE to squinty or Punxutawney Phil will hide all winter

Drink excessively to calm your nerves before your first range trip. It's easier to hit a target when there's two of em

Not really

Emphasis of all the different types of guns and reason to own and shoot them. There was a time when Guns & Ammo might not have a single self defense article and no military/tactical stuff for months. Now people are only exposed to firearms as instruments of death and expressions of civil rights.

Let's shoot some balloons with cowboy guns loaded with wax.

Emphasis of all the different types of guns and reason to own and shoot them. There was a time when Guns & Ammo might not have a single self defense article and no military/tactical stuff for months. Now people are only exposed to firearms as instruments of death and expressions of civil rights.

Let's shoot some balloons with cowboy guns loaded with wax.
Chinese balloons?:s0114:

The gangsta grip and why it makes your Glock hit harder than an AR47. Now that that's out of my system...

Spreading the word is good, and people fear what they don't know. Add the blatant misinformation provided by gun haters and your basic ignorant citizen is easily swayed into giving up a fundamental right.

Note the attempted precedent from Austin Tx, that even defending yourself when threatened with deadly force is a crime.

The gangsta grip and why it makes your Glock hit harder than an AR47. Now that that's out of my system...

Spreading the word is good, and people fear what they don't know. Add the blatant misinformation provided by gun haters and your basic ignorant citizen is easily swayed into giving up a fundamental right.

Note the attempted precedent from Austin Tx, that even defending yourself when threatened with deadly force is a crime.
There are few things as off-putting as political indoctrination.

I don't think it matters that much that people have some technical misunderstandings of firearms parts and operation.

Our obsession with correctness at that level is a massive distraction. Whenever some new gun legislation comes up, so many of the comments seem to be about how technically ignorant legislators are, as if that is some kind of viable argument against whatever they are proposing. "Should thing that goes up" - right, funny ha ha, but getting us nowhere. You don't win moral battles on small technicalities.

Safety, yes. Technical knowledge that matters for safety and defensive use, like how to clear a jam - YES.

Right to bear foundational knowledge - YES.

"It's a magazine, not a clip" - YAWN

(Though that kind of thing is not nearly as harmful to the 2A cause as all the dire and wacky apocalyptic "they are coming for us and our children" type krap, which makes gun owners look like a bunch of irrational doomer kooks.)

I think a topic that attendees may find interesting is basic ballistics. Not any detail, but just the general concept of the sightline and boreline converging, the bullet dropping due to gravity, intersecting the sight line again, etc. Basic physics class stuff.

Along the same lines, the physics of firearm operation.

In both cases, somewhat technical minded people may find these topics fascinating and a good jumping off point for getting into the sport.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top