JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a Remington 870 express tactical with a 6 shell tube. I have 9 pellet 00 Buckshot and slugs with the buckshot going out first. It's my bedroom gun and was just wondering if there was something better out there or if there's a different load out I should use. Just wanting some opinions. Another thing to take into account is my bedroom is at the top of the stairs.

It depends.

Where do you live? Apartment/Condo, suburban house, or out in the country?

What type of interior and exterior walls do you have?

Do you live alone? If not are there backstops or safe areas that your loved ones can shelter behind?

How much concern/tolerance do you have for over penetration?

It depends.

Where do you live? Apartment/Condo, suburban house, or out in the country?

What type of interior and exterior walls do you have?

Do you live alone? If not are there backstops or safe areas that your loved ones can shelter behind?

How much concern/tolerance do you have for over penetration?

Are the intruders shape shifting wolf people?

#4 shot. Now that I live very rural, rather than NE Portland, I have what were advertised as "Rhodesian Jungle" rounds. They are loaded with 5 or 6 OO buck pellets on bottom, a cardboard wedge, then #4 shot(1/4oz.? 3/8oz.? I'm not sure.) on top.

I also keep Winchester PDX1 rounds on hand with a slug topped with 3 OO buck pellets. I intend on using those on advancing hoardes, rather than individual home intrudes.

On top of that, I keep plenty of slugs, OO buck, #4 shot, #6 shot and #7&1/2 shot on hand at all times. My "home defense" shotgun is a Remington 870 with 18" barrel and 2 round mag extension. I see no need for other doo-dads. To each their own.

well as far as doo-dads, a tac light attached to your home defense weapon would be advisable. far too often someone gets scared of the figure in the dark and later finds out they have killed their spouse or teenager who is sneaking in after coming home too late.

I see the positives and negatives to a light. My house is lit enough to identify my family. Also, if you are considering waving a 12 gauge shotgun in your home in the dark, you may also consider getting the family on the same page. A teen that is aware of the shotgun being used to protect him is a lot less likely to be on the receiving end. I think this may be one of those YMMV situations.

IMHO "tactical" lights are a bad joke, and a good target

its not very common for a burglar to be a tactically trained individual. you make a fair point but writing it off solely because they can see you is a bit unfair when it also allows you to see them. if you dont want to have a light to see with you could at least get a NV device of some type. knowing what your target is happens to be one the fundamentals on handling a weapon.

also true that if you make your family aware of it, they will likely avoid stirring your sleep at night in that way but it never hurts to play it safe.

My intent when I come home during the middle of the night is not to sneak in - I plainly annouce that it is me and turn on the lights when I come home late. Anyone sneaking around in the dark is creating a probelm in my eyes. The little sleep lost is a real bargain in comparison to the risk to a family member.
I expect the same from anyone in my house. The dogs normally wake everyone up anyways.

James Ruby

Hmmm - 5 posts - have you searched these forums? YouTube?

12ga good choice
Bird shot - like 7 1/2 for inside use
Buck + Slug on weapon for if needed use (sling, cheek pad, etc)

only 300 Million more opinions to wade thru.

Search YouTube for Shotgun Home Defense Penetration tests to get an idea.
I like the guy shooting a pork shoulder covered by rack of ribs to give an idea
just how effective, even small pellet sized, bird shot is.

Several sources indicate that #1 buck was superior to 00 due to the greater number of wound tracts combined with deep penetration. Home Defense Shotgun Ammo

I'm not able to find any #1 buckshot so I use Rio Royal 9 pellet 00 buckshot rounds at the range. I keep my shotgun loaded with Federal XM127 9 pellet 00 buckshot for HD.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top