JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just wondering, besides making a special trip to the range with family and friends.
How do you train and maintain yourself starting with what kind and how much (in quantity) ammo do you spend a month?
Initially I use to blow ammos in the range like a mad man. Now I have to put myself in a program.
Per week: .......... Total rounds per month:
30 -9mm ............. 120
100 -22LR ........... 400
15 -5.56 ............... 60
8 -12 gauge ......... 32

Last Edited:
Once a month we have a shoot at our black powder club.
Usually its around 25 shots.
Which doesn't sound like much for a cartridge gun....
However...
With 12 - 20 shooters on the line...it can be "much" or time consuming.
Plus with powder now around $40 a pound when you can find it....and caps , for those who use 'em ...
$15 on up , again when you can find 'em....it can be spendy too.

As for cartridge guns....
I mostly shoot one of my .22LR rifles...and 20 gauge shotguns.
I used to shoot fairly often....nowadays not so much....need to go more often.
As for the amount of cartridges shot...I never really concern myself with that....*
I shoot for my enjoyment...
I find shooting at left over clay bird bits , spent shotgun shells , the odd colored rock , leaf or flower challenging and relaxing.
Andy

* That said...
I have looked at the plies of my spent brass / shot shells , as I was policing them up ....
And thought well there went $______
But it was money and time well spent.... :D

Last Edited:
Very good information. I'm just new and learning from members here. Lately on in-door range, I'm beginning to take my time and trying learn more how to shoot correctly. I have no idea yet in more of outdoors and what the future holds. But so far its educational, exciting and I'm breaking a sweat too holding that heavy tactical rifle in so many rounds.

Also I have a small plot of land that I can walk right out my door and shoot. 100 yard range and a small pistol course with 5 steel targets
That's good to know. How do you manage the sound and and your neighbors? (if any) Are there any guidelines or restrictions?
BTW. I love watching this guy especially when he does the Captain Kirk's "Energized"

View: https://youtu.be/b9EqW90fdfg

Last Edited:
Just wondering, besides making a special trip to the range with family and friends.
How do you train and maintain yourself starting with what kind and how much (in quantity) ammo do you spend a month?
Initially I use to blow ammos in the range like a mad man. Now I have to put myself in a program.
Per week: .......... Total rounds per month:
30 -9mm ............. 120
100 -22LR ........... 400
15 -5.56 ............... 60
8 -12 gauge ......... 32
I would say go for quality of the repetitions not quantity. Even with Dry fire you can practice most important stuff like draw, build your grip correctly, presentation/creating alignment, trigger pull etc. Laser cartridges can show you what is happening with your hold and movement when you pull the trigger. They also make simple dry fire tools you can practice draw and first shot (or fancier systems for more $).

Whether it's from in person training or training videos, learning the best techniques is important. Then you can practice those on the range. Then your rounds on the range are of the highest quality cuz you are practicing the specific techniques you need to work on. 2 cents

I don't think there's any "magic recipe". Every individual and circumstance is so different it really boils down to what works for 'you'.

Physiologically, intent/purpose, experience, caliber and type, etc... it's all a unique blend.

Just a basic IE., a newer shooter still working on developing muscle memory on a particular firearm is going to require more frequent and, typically, longer and more varied shooting sessions... vs... someone who has 40yrs of muscle memory development with the same firearm. KWIM?

Shooter development vs. maintaining proficiency have different requirements... and there is also the economic factor to consider. Some are better able to prioritize 'luxury spending" at a greater degree than others.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with developing a budget as part of a persons ongoing training though. Both financial and personal time commitment. Sounds like prudent planning for the best long term result, if you ask me.

I would say go for quality of the repetitions not quantity. Even with Dry fire you can practice most important stuff like draw, build your grip correctly, presentation/creating alignment, trigger pull etc. Laser cartridges can show you what is happening with your hold and movement when you pull the trigger. They also make simple dry fire tools you can practice draw and first shot (or fancier systems for more $).

Whether it's from in person training or training videos, learning the best techniques is important. Then you can practice those on the range. Then your rounds on the range are of the highest quality cuz you are practicing the specific techniques you need to work on. 2 cents
That's and excellent advise. Thank you.
It really makes sense in tracking the movement like what you said. I'm very interested knowing more and possible getting a very good laser cartridge.
There are few basic training that I'm working on and one of them is I would like to monitor the straightness when drawing
handgun from back to front without losing the targets line of site and a few more....

You're gonna go through 5.56 a heck of a lot faster than 60 rounds/month once you find a rifle you really like. I notice I go through about 200 rounds/trip with my ARs and about the same per chambering with my pistols. I might only shoot 20 rounds total with a bolt action. As for .22s... I don't count I just shoot.

I took classes too. But I want to put a more physical action than just shooting. I try to add jogging / running on my schedule. Its getting near impossible now for I have 2 jobs, the family so and so forth. But this is just a must for safety. Just like yesterday, its really kind of awkward seeing a guy from his 20's with hoodies on door bell. I live in a very quiet neighborhood. I couldn't get myself to open the door because of all these things that are happening today.

You're gonna go through 5.56 a heck of a lot faster than 60 rounds/month once you find a rifle you really like. I notice I go through about 200 rounds/trip with my ARs and about the same per chambering with my pistols. I might only shoot 20 rounds total with a bolt action. As for .22s... I don't count I just shoot.
I know... the 5.56 is the one that I don't think I can't afford to unload extras.. Every time I see a deal I grab what I can afford. But not enough like the way how I have the 9's and the 22's.....

I took classes too. But I want to put a more physical action than just shooting. I try to add jogging / running on my schedule. Its getting near impossible now for I have 2 jobs, the family so and so forth. But this is just a must for safety. Just like yesterday, its really kind of awkward seeing a guy from his 20's with hoodies on door bell. I live in a very quiet neighborhood. I couldn't get myself to open the door because of all these things that are happening today.
Wear an ugly Christmas sweater instead, then. Not to get too far into it, if you're clean cut and (unfortunately) of the right skin tone, nobody's going to pay attention to you jogging around

Wear an ugly Christmas sweater instead, then. Not to get too far into it, if you're clean cut and (unfortunately) of the right skin tone, nobody's going to pay attention to you jogging around
:s0140:

Lets just say on the breakdown I previously posted, I have all of those for the next 4 years. I just try not to spend too much time on buying ammos and all that because of my current schedule.
Fall and summer is just around the corner and I wanna start flying again. I just don't know how's that gonna play out...

That's a good point about bolt actions. One way to use less ammo for range fun is mix in bolt actions and revolvers. Slows everything down.

That's actually one of the reasons I like the cheapo heritage 22s/22 WMRs. They may have zimak frames but they are fun, especially in different sized barrels. Still has the 4 click colt SAA action. I have one 45 LC revolver that you have to remove the cylinder to reload. That really slows things down. Bi mart has heritage revolvers for $114.

Big heritage revolver pistol

Last Edited:
I haven't shot anything this years. Last time I did anything was October. The longest stretch since I started shooting. Normally I shoot 2x a month at minimum but have much reduced ammo use since the cost and availability have been an issue.

I shoot 4-6 times a month at my gun club with various calibers and probably go through 200-300 rds a month. I don't really budget for it specifically. I used to get a fair amount of trigger time using a pcp air rifle controlling pests at one of my work sites but that is going away. I can't really shoot powder burning firearms where I live so I have been setting up a range for my pcp rifles. So far it is just a pellet trap with a target holder and a kyl rack rated for rimfire cals. This is at 50 yds and I have a substantial laminated wood backstop for safety. I now can pretty much shoot anytime I want with my pcp guns and my pellet consumption will rise, but it is pretty cheap fun. Unfortunately I will not be able to shoot my new big bore pcp rifle at home when it arrives due to noise and safety/backstop concerns. I will be suppressing it but I still won't have a safe backstop unless I do some creative excavating.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top