JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
the most obvious the debasing of the us currency, we are spending more than a third than we are taking in.If we cant get our spending under control we are screwed. There will be disruptions in our economy in fuel ,food..ect and i don't see our government officials dealing with it.

A collapse of the United States like the Soviet Union 2 decades ago.

Basically sh*t economy, sh*t politics, sh*t law enforcement, sh*t mass population mentality, and general&overall bullsh*t everywhere.

My food and water will go into my mouth, my family's mouths, and my friends' mouths. My medical supply will treat me, my family, and my friends. My house will shelter me, my family, and my friends.

My bullets will rip through the flesh of those that harm my life, my family's life, and my friends' lives.

Maybe fellow gun owners. I know a lot more people whose backup plan in the event of any emergency is an M4 than folks who have gone through the enormous effort of storing non-perishable food, potable water, fuel, and first aid supplies. I think the primary duty in a disaster is civic responsibility, helping everyone you can. Japan just underwent a tremendous disaster, with zero civil unrest. I don't think we could do that here, but I think it is an important example of behavior to aspire to in a disaster. While security is necessary, it is easy enough to find a couple of well behaved goons with guns to keep the peace, but it takes real civil engineering to cobble together a safe, makeshift sewage treatment system in an emergency. Improper hygiene is deadlier than bullets, has been so throughout history. Trying to get people that spend all of their time behind the wheel or in front of a television to work together will be the biggest challenge. We no longer possess a strong sense of civic duty.

Maybe fellow gun owners. I know a lot more people whose backup plan in the event of any emergency is an M4 than folks who have gone through the enormous effort of storing non-perishable food, potable water, fuel, and first aid supplies. I think the primary duty in a disaster is civic responsibility, helping everyone you can. Japan just underwent a tremendous disaster, with zero civil unrest. I don't think we could do that here, but I think it is an important example of behavior to aspire to in a disaster. While security is necessary, it is easy enough to find a couple of well behaved goons with guns to keep the peace, but it takes real civil engineering to cobble together a safe, makeshift sewage treatment system in an emergency. Improper hygiene is deadlier than bullets, has been so throughout history. Trying to get people that spend all of their time behind the wheel or in front of a television to work together will be the biggest challenge. We no longer possess a strong sense of civic duty.

I fully agree with you. Japan's culture is very different from american culture, and the Japanese tend to be more "civil" than most americans. If something like a large nuclear disaster happened in the United States, I would be willing to bet half my left leg that sh*t WILL hit the fan and there WILL be looting, riots, and civil unrest. Probably even in places that weren't affected by the nuclear contamination.

Bacteria and viruses will always be a bigger killer than bullets and explosives. They are nature's perfect population control tools.

To be honest, I don't see widespread collaboration happening during any kind of shtf whether short-term or long-term. Long lost are the days when neighbor helped neighbor and citizens helped citizens. Americans are some of the most individualistic people on earth unfortunately. This comes from all of my travelling experiences.

What worries me is the drive home that some buthole texting is going to cut me off without using a signal cause he wants to get 1 car length ahead while mid text . I had better be prepared to hit the breaks or swerve out of the way with out going into the next lane or hitting another car . or use my jedi mind skills to see ahead to increase the stopping distance before me.

A Few Tipping Points
IF you are one of many who are not distressed in the least by the Mayan Calendar ending December 21st, 2012, well, I really cannot disagree. Certainly I find it very curious that they, as well as so many other former cultures, predicted our ending so long ago from the consequences of the many things we actually face today from abrupt climate changes. Paleoclimatologists have now discovered conclusive evidence that the Mayans themselves experienced just such an abrupt change some 5200 years ago; tropical fauna still trapped in South American glaciers show an overnight flash freezing severe enough to account for an abrupt end of civilization. This phenomena has been documented on other continents as well, demonstrating a planet wide event 5200 years ago. As the Maya saw and regarded everything as cyclic, it’s entirely possible they might have projected this disaster as an inevitable eventuality at the end of the current calendar… who can say?
The point here is this; whether or not you are invested in the whole Mayan doomsday prediction or not is irrelevant. That’s right. Throw it out entirely as a consideration. Because there are enough real, present, and verifiable concerns listed below to remove all doubt… the fire has reached the front porch.

HONEY BEES ARE GOING EXTINCT
The human population has exploded in the past several decades, and our expanding civilization has had a HUGE impact on the millions of other creatures occupying our planet. We read almost every day about yet another species having gone extinct. “Gee, that’s a shame” we mutter, yawn, and them finish reading our paper… forgetting about it just as quickly. I mean really, just how upset is a C.P.A. from Chicago going to get over the demise of, say, the Tasmanian Saber-Toothed WereRat? It’s just not gonna have a whole lot of impact on his daily life. Here’s what WILL;
Start saying goodbye to the beloved honey bee, the friend of Big Agriculture and who has nearly single handedly made our necessary massive production of food possible. Before the current crisis, the honey bee was already slated for extinction in 2035, but that timetable has now been substantially shortened due to a frightening phenom called Colony Collapse Syndrome. To make a long story short, they are dying off right before our eyes, and the front running culprits include nicotine based insecticides, parasites, and a virus. The ramifications are so immense that the DOD itself (Department Of Defense) is currently addressing the issue.
Honey itself will be the very least of it. We have depended on the honey bee to cross-pollinate our crops for us, and have always pretty much taken them for granted. Large bee-keeping firms deliver and rent bees by the tractor trainload to companies such as Dole, Del Monte, etc… placing them in their giant agricultural fields for a week or so to perform their nature’s magic. These bee-keeping firms report with dismay that their bees have continued to steadily drop in population and health, and that very soon there simply won’t be enough to go around. Keep in mind; honey bees will visit and re-visit a single flower up to 30 times performing the complete job of cross-pollination which allows our fruit and vegetables to grow to the mature sizes we enjoy. It is simply NOT economically feasible to do it ourselves. As the honey bee declines, food prices are going to double, treble, and then reach the atmosphere… and then there will be actual food shortages at any price. Such a radical change could eventually collapse the economy, and certainly will assist hand-in-hand with our many other concerns all occurring at once.

California levees
Built by farmers well over 100 years ago, these levees are entirely inadequate, are eroding at alarming rates, and could give way at any time with a mere temblor at just the right spot. An estimated $17 billion is needed to rebuild/repair them to a modicum level of safety… and there’s just no money in the struggling state of California to even begin a proper restoration. What would a major levee failure in California do to YOU, living in, say, Nebraska? A major failure would flood the freshwater supply for 25 million people in southern California with seawater. Additionally, it would flood one of America’s biggest breadbasket/food producing areas with seawater, destroying the soil. That’s an economic disaster which would echo across the entire nation… likely collapsing the already frail economy.

Failing infrastructure

Energy Crisis/Power grid Failure
Solar flares
EMP, Solar radiation, neutrinos. We’re supposed to be expecting a cycle of solar flares during 2012 and into 2013. Solar flares occurred in 1859, and wiped out our meager “power grid” which basically consisted of the old west telegraph system. Imagine our power grid wiped out today… and the consequences thereof. Blown transformers will be a big problem too… as we don’t have a proper stockpile of them to remotely handle such a catastrophe. As a matter of fact, we don’t really even produce them here anymore, ordering most of them from factories in Germany owned by Seimens.

Non-sustainable business model; leveraged debt
Bailouts. Social Security. Medicare. Inflation/Hyperinflation. Oil. Food. Power. The Federal Reserve. You can’t even begin to count the innumerous financial crisis’ all coming to a head at once. Business as usual too, changes in sight… well, no GOOD ones anyway.

War

Terrorism
Nuclear? Biological? Economic? Take your pick. Think FEMA is there to help you? Which brings us to…

Police State
Check out Jesse in this disturbing video. Crap? Maybe. Maybe not.
(Full Movie) "The Police State" Conspiracy -Jesse Ventura - YouTube

Virus / Plaque
The influenza pandemic of 1918 wiped out, in some estimations, 100 million people worldwide. It inexplicably appeared on each and every continent simultaneously, rather than slowly spreading as one would expect with the obstacles of oceans, mountain ranges, and sheer distances. At the very same time it manifested in Europe and Asia, it appeared also in very remote Eskimo villages cut off from the rest of civilization by harsh winter conditions (and again sheer distances of wilderness) leaving 70% dead. It is a mystery of virology which still confounds medical science to this very day.
Imagine the horrors, if you can, of another virus even more deadly striking the worldwide population in the present day. Perhaps a new one, or any number of the already problematic viruses loose today (H1N1, H3N2, Influenza B, H5N1, etc…) mutating unobstructed into a lethality of epic proportions. Or hey, maybe one of those cute little super bugs we have nourished and stockpiled getting out… like the super Smallpox. It would be difficult to predict all of the consequences of, say, one third of the citizens of our nation dead or dying in the short span of a mere week.
Most would likely have goods enough to last through such a crisis, but services would be non-existent for obvious reasons… certainly all emergency services would be overwhelmed beyond measure. The wheels of commerce too would grind to an abrupt halt… but what would be the lasting impact of such a scenario manifesting itself in an already fragile economy? Martial Law? Looting? How many other diseases start spreading like wildfire with 100 million corpses lying about?

Earthquake
“The Big One” is all but a foregone conclusion in California, a state which has a GNP which exceeds most countries. A large portion of our nation’s economic motor sits precariously on the edge of the biggest fault line on the planet, merely waiting to slide into the Pacific and fulfill its inevitable destiny. Mind you, this can occur at any time… not only devastating our national economy, but taking along one of America’s precious breadbaskets of food production.

Super Volcanoes
Sure, we’re all familiar with some of the volcanic horror stories which have occurred throughout recorded history; Mt. Vesuvius, Krakatoa, Mt. Pelee, etc… but here we’re gonna talk about Super Volcanoes as they can and have related to planet wide extinction events. The term “Super Volcano” refers to those giants which, upon eruption, are capable of spewing 250 cubic miles or more of magma… or a magnitude 8 eruption.
Massive volcanic activity is now generally considered responsible for the extinction event occurring some 250 million years ago at the end of the late Permian age. The greenhouse gasses released caused runaway global warming, killing off 95% of all life on the planet.
The most recent eruption of a Super Volcano occurred about 74,000 years ago at the Toba Caldera, Indonesia, cooling the entire earth a full 21 degrees F. To get a rough idea of severity, this was a 10,000 times bigger eruption than the Mount St. Helens eruption of 1980.
Imagine, if you can, such an eruption today. The entire atmosphere choked with poisonous gasses and clouds of dust. The suns rays blocked for years, preventing agricultural production. While there are 40 Super Volcanoes noted on the earth, most are considered extinct… nothing to worry about, right? Maybe… but maybe not.
Yellowstone is the Super Volcano on the mind of every Vulcanologist today. Yes, it is showing very definite signs of life and is being very closely monitored. Of course, watching is all we can do…
It is estimated that a full scale super volcanic eruption of Yellowstone would equal 1000 Hiroshima bombs exploding every second… try to wrap your mind around that. The estimated immediate death toll from resulting tsunamis, earthquakes, floods, toxins, etc… would total 1 billion worldwide. One billion. Surviving the following years of famine, disease, and all the many other accompanying miseries will of course be impossible without significant stored resources… which brings us to;

Famine
Keep in mind that the average city has about 3 days worth of food on the shelves. A great many of the above scenarios will obviously initiate a sustained famine. We are so used to seeing our store shelves stocked with everything we need, it’s hard for some of us to imagine them empty in 3 mere days… but with any scenario which prevents restocking, that’s all the time it takes.

Pole Shift
I wont even get into the Hapgood theory of crustal displacement (a theory built upon the earlier works of Hugh Brown) or Einstein’s comments on such… its just too disastrous to contemplate. I doubt there’s any way to really prepare for such a mega-disaster, and I for one am glad it’s way low on the probability list (phew!).

Just a few things to chew over....

I concur. Look no further than what happened during Hurricane Katrina...

Peter

I simply believe in being reasonably prepared. What we prepare for doesn't really matter all that much, the essence of it is to be self reliant in an emergency. I am a firm believer in the incompetence of government, the evil and stupidity of men, and natures ability to humble humanity. That just about covers it.

Doh.. Almost forgot, Murphy's law... Probably the number one reason right there.

A collapse of the United States like the Soviet Union 2 decades ago.

Basically sh*t economy, sh*t politics, sh*t law enforcement, sh*t mass population mentality, and general&overall bullsh*t everywhere.

My food and water will go into my mouth, my family's mouths, and my friends' mouths. My medical supply will treat me, my family, and my friends. My house will shelter me, my family, and my friends.

My bullets will rip through the flesh of those that harm my life, my family's life, and my friends' lives.

That's how I see it too. I'd add an overdue quake for us in the PACNW

Its interesting to see how some people view it as dooms day or just a joke or a over due natural disaster. I prepare for a few things. I store food mostly because I have lost my job twice in the last 3 years. (Different jobs.) The food storage has helped a lot since we didnt have to rely on money going to buy food, we could pay rent and other bills. I store ammo due to the fact that ammo isnt always on sale or a gun show isnt going on. I go camping with my family and I do make sure we have supplies and back up supplies.

Life is hard and trying to prepare for everything can be tough and over whelming. As for me and my family, I try to just make sure that we will be ok for what ever that has currently happened some place else. So when it happens here, we will have a better shot at being ok than some other family who wasnt prepared when crapped hit the fan.

Japan is a monolithic, racially homogeneous society.. the US is a multi cult madhouse. I am helping no one who is not already on board with my team

Being trained and prepped covers my social responsability, nobody needs to waste energy looking after me.
We are on the cusp of one of the most common PHTF situations, directed massive civil unrest, economic disaster, social chaos resulting in totalitarian opression and directed genocide.
This has happened 5 or 6 times in my life time vs 0 for nuke war, bio/chem war, Klendathu bug invasion, meteor strike
[/U][B]Of course I could be wrong[/B]

Asteroid 2012 DA14 Won't Kill Us (Yet), But Ought to Scare Us Into Action
Daniel Honan on March 7, 2012, 12:00 AM

The near earth asteroid 2012 DA14 discovered last year is not going to hit Earth next year, scientists say. Phew. And yet, it will still be coming in way too close for comfort (17,000 miles away--closer than many orbiting satellites), and may hit us the next time around, in 2020, or on another orbit in the more distant future.

This threat, which would have the impact of a thermonuclear bomb, ought to sufficiently scare us into contemplating several courses of action:

1. Watch the skies

Imagine if 2012 DA14 had been on course to hit us. We would have been caught with our pants down. There was insufficient time to build a spaceship capable of colliding with the asteroid to destroy it or bump it off course, a project that experts say would have taken two years. We need a better early warning system to detect the next gloomy discovery and give ourselves a fighting chance. Right now, when we detect an asteroid with a telescope we learn its position, but it is harder, and takes longer, to nail down its orbit. That is still the case with 2012 DA14, which astronomers are keeping a close eye on.

2. Invest in technology to stop an asteroid

There are many different ideas about how to stop an asteroid, which range from destroying it (with a nuclear device, for instance) to changing its course. The latter action would require hitting it with a kinetic interceptor or using a bit of "solar powered orbital mechanics" that involves painting (yes, painting) the asteroid white to change the ratio between reflected and absorbed radiation. We could also strap a rocket to the space rock to steer it away from us or "tow" it away with a "gravitational tractor." Others have suggested solar sails, "giant mirrors that fly through space via the force of sunlight reflecting off them."

While some of these ideas may seem far-fetched, at the very least we ought to give the best ideas their day in court right now, as we will only get to do this experiment once.

In the worst-case scenario, we would need to be prepared for the event of an asteroid making impact, in which case we would need to figure out ways to move large populations and possibly develop a fair lottery system for what would be much coveted space in the bunker. Some people, of course, may choose to accept our fate, if not embrace it, when the doomsday event draws near. On the other hand, experts such as Stephen Hawking have suggested that we need to be prepared to abandon Earth altogether, which would require the construction of a space colony.

Japan is a monolithic, racially homogeneous society.. the US is a multi cult madhouse. I am helping no one who is not already on board with my team

Not to be cute or smart here, but I have read enough of your post I believe my saying not already board you do not mean your team, but someone who does not have their sh!t together already, and your gut says they would be mutually beneficial, coreect me if I am wrong here.

Here is where I stand

First, i look around me at work and laugh, to keep from puking with disgust of the self absorbed, back stabbing, me me me attitude I face daily, in where I work. Most of these clowns would be absolutely worhtless in shtf scenario, I recently went to a training class and they asked who would trust the members of their office team to carry them out of the woods or trust them to get help, or if we believe out of our team members any of them would stay back and help care for me while others went for help.

I burst into laughter, well since no one in my office was there it was pretty amusing because several people agreed with me and said they do not trust the clowns they work with for anything.

There are two people in my office i would help to a point, because I can trust them to help me to a point, and I am an ex-soldier, ex-reserve cop, and very experienced backpacker.

Now would I help a stranger? if my gut told me too, not because whiney teary eye person having a panic attack said YOU HAVE TO HELP. That crap only happens in the movies, there are times when I help stranger to this day, there are time when i could help, that I walk away (those are not instinct but personal reasons) there are times when someone has something so stupid, so idiotic, so moronic I would not lift a finger to help them because I believe natural selection should becoming to play any second.

It basicly comes down in a shtf situation, is it mutually beneficial, or to my benefit or the families benefit, or is my gut telling me to do so, if not. Guess what, these me, me, me people surrounding us in society, well they are so me, me, me that they can rely on them, them, them. I am not wasting my stores, supplies or putting myself or family at risk to help an Oxygen Thief.

Last Edited:
I have tried to help a lot of people over the years and only a few have not stabbed me in the back as my reward

No good deed goes unpunished

Great thread. I used to only stockpile guns and ammo, but over the last few months I have been collecting food, water, and whiskey. I have a family and at first my wife thought I was insane but she is slowly coming around. I want to have a 3 month supply of everything for my family and my parents. That should allow us to ride out the really crazy times, assess the situation and move forward. God forbid anything does happen, but I don't want to be standing around thinking I should have prepared for this......

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews