JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Can you charge them when the power is out? They are only as good as long as the batteries last.

We have a generator that I converted to propane. Propane will last forever while gas ages and becomes useless in time. The propane conversion also does away with carburator problems.

We also keep our motorhome/camper fully fueled and full of water...ready to go at a moments notice. The only thing that comes to mind that would cause us to go, is wild fire. We live in the country, so in effect, we are already "bugged out".

While going to the sand boxes multiple times, I converted (as much as possible) entirely to rechargeable AA and AAA batteries. I obtained several AC and DC-powered battery chargers, and also several different solar panel sets to charge batteries, my laptop, and other small electronics. I found that Rayovacs maintained their charge (both in storage and in use) than Energizers did. Lithiums can be stored for a long time before use (CR123, CR2, etc.).
Using solar panels to trickle-charge car batteries, then using those to charge smaller batteries may be one answer.
I found from working in Afghanistan, that in a very austere environment you can expect to use solar or generator power to charge storage batteries which will power lights, radio, etc., then you must burn something for heat and cooking. Afghans burn twigs, straw, and dried dung.

If power loss and no generator, is there a safe heating source for inside a home? Propane is unsafe without good ventilation, which takes away from the heat soruce. Alcohol boat stove? No fireplace or wood stove. Just dress warm?

If power loss and no generator, is there a safe heating source for inside a home? Propane is unsafe without good ventilation, which takes away from the heat soruce. Alcohol boat stove? No fireplace or wood stove. Just dress warm?

Anything which consumes oxygen and produces carbon monoxide will be dangerous in a confined space. If you must use a propane-powered camping stove inside, you will have to open a door or a window to vent the exhaust from the stove (for instance). Best choice is probably a wood stove on which you can both cook and provide warmth for winter time. Not really do-able in an apartment/condo, unless such fireplace were built-in.

Otherwise: Cook outside, dress warmly inside.

Either way, stocking up on fuel is a necessity. Camping stove fuel is more compact than firewood.

A heating source could be a propane catalytic heater similar to what is used in some RVs. I don't know about codes and regs, but in theory you coulld place the tank outside (like RVs do), and run the line to your heater. We have a portable catalytic heater (designed for RV use) that we got years ago that is part of our back-up heating plan. For cooking we like Coleman style camp stoves that run on multiple fuel types. Coleman's own fuel costs a bit, but the storage life is so good on it that I don't mind keeping a few gallons in storage.

I don't know about codes and regs

In a disaster scenario on the scale most are talking about here, I doubt there is a need to worry about codes or reg's. Survival is the #1 priority.

Propane heat is very good as long as there is some ventilation. Remember campers are almost entirely dependant on propane for heat and cooking. Ours uses catalytic wall heaters and we have a CO monitor/alarm to monitor the air quality. We took out the furnace because it was killing the batteries in short order in cold temp. I would not hesitate to use propane heaters. We use ventless propane fireplace logs for back-up heat now in our home and they work very well. Propane burns clean if properly regulated.

I am concerned that someone new to the world of camp stoves, catalytic heaters and such might not take the necessary measures to prevent fires or carbon monoxide poisoning. Worst case: Someone new to prepping buys a camping stove and some fuel. Stores it in his apartment until needed without practicing with it first. Along comes the next ice storm; power is out for several days. Our hero gets out the stove, sets it up & proceeds to burn down the apartment complex because he wanted to heat a can of soup to feed his kids. Does this theoretical exercise imply that people must be licensed (govt permission) before purchasing camping stoves, etc.?
HELL NO!
But if you've got a friend who is on the path to something stupid such as above, take him under your wing. Please!

Having said the above: I firmly believe that the two most imperative survival skills are 1) Find or construct shelter and 2) Safely build a fire for heat and cooking.

A little more on the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning: Traditional (old-timey) Korean country dwellings are heated in winter by "ondol" stoves. These are built with the stove on one side of the house (against the foundation). The flu runs under the floor, and the chimney on the oposite side of the house from the stove. They burn charcoal, and must change the bricks every two to four hours. The hot exhaust from the stove runs from the stove, under the floor, and out the chimney. The family sleeps on the warm floor. The problem comes when the chimney flu leaks carbon monoxide into the house, and people die. One of my ex-wife's sisters died from this in 1984 - the floor had not been adequately sealed to prevent CO leaks, and she slept on the floor.

If you use anything which emits CO, please maintain adequate ventilation and don't sleep on or near the floor.

In a disaster scenario on the scale most are talking about here, I doubt there is a need to worry about codes or reg's. Survival is the #1 priority.

I was thinking more along the lines of what an insurance company might say if someone burned their house down using something that was blatantly against codes. We have used our portable RV heater in and out of the RV (don't have anymore) enough to know that it works great to heat a small room, and for sure won't hesitate to set it up in an emergency situation.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top