JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The only chains we use are on my backhoe or loader. Even when I owned truck companies, if it was so bad you needed chains, I bought a motel room for my guys until it passed. There is no Ski trip or anything else worth putting people at risk in extreme weather. I have lots of 4 and 6 wheel drive vehicles. If they are not adaquate for the job.....it doesn't need done. I used my TD6 dozer to clear my 1/4 mile driveway last year for the first time, not a lot of drama when you are properly prepared. Chains can and do a tremendous amount of damage on vehicles in the winter. Inevitably a link or cable comes loose and beats the devil out of a fender or more. We must have repaired a dozen of them in my body shop last year. Big trucks or even smaller flatbeds are ok and simpler to install chains, have less chance of damage. A few rules we developed in years of trucking and traveling over the world. Always avoid getting caught at night on a bad road and if chain restrictions are up, shut it down. Off course, the most dangerous is ice, particularly unexpected black ice that you find yourself on. Studs can help there but sometimes you are just screwed.

The only chains we use are on my backhoe or loader.

Skidder parked after clearing my driveway and the private road.

1618640_209917129203160_718766099_n.jpg

It's hard to see, but it has chains on all four corners.

Skidder had a GM4-53 in it and it 'screamed' like most GM 2 strokes, especially the 53 series.

Another plus one for studded tires. After we moved to eastern Oregon, we went with studs and found they worked out well. We're back on the western side of the mountain now, so the snow and ice periods aren't as nasty, but, still, studded tires and 4x4 vehicles handle most issues.

And if there is any doubt, and the trip can be avoided, indeed, just don't go. Better delay a plan than get lunched during a hellacious winter storm. Better part of valor and all that.

This was the first 4x4 I owned (not just driven):

362646-af58da3007c34c18982bf7a4c8435cce.jpg

I built it myself with Jeep running gear.

those were the coolest trucks back then. I wonder if there are still people customizing newer Toyotas with solid front axles from jeeps... I saw a circa 1997 Toyota T100 the other weekend with one, nicely done.

If I could, I would love to have an old truck like yours for the fun of it. a classic conversion. Well Done too.

regarding chains, I bought a pair from Fred Meyers that I never use, Security Cable Chain co. I think.... I have a 4x4 truck and only use the chains when its required by ODOT... haven't used them yet.

Being a former (16 1/2 years) Les Schwab employee I'm partial to the quick fit chains. They aren't the strongest but I'm not abusing my jeep either. They have a diamond shape pattern that will grip sideways during cornering and not just straight during braking or accelerating. They aren't cheap, I think they start out over $100 on up to $140 for my size.

Some weather coming in this evening, 19 December, 2017. We live at about 42N, 123W. Kinda. Not at our pizza place. About 1500 feet elevation at home. No chains right now but if we do get a dusting of snow tonight it will reinforce the need to get some gosh darn snow chains that DO fit my Suzuki Suicide Baby Jeep! That is all. Will advise. :)

What kind of tire chains do you use and why? Reason I ask is that some Old Coot that I know very well had some chains that he carried around in the winter time for YEARS ... only to find out the hard way that the chains he had DID NOT FIT his Suzuki Suicide Baby Jeep. AUUGHHHH! Embarrassing.

Are the new technology easy on easy off traction devices any good? Some feed back if possible. What kind of traction devices or chains do you use? Why? Inquiring minds wonder. That is all. :)
I am an old truck driver. The cable chains work fairly well on ice and snow but do not exceed 30 mph using them. Regular steel chains are much heavier and harder to install. Do not exceed 25 mph while using them. Failure to heed the speed will ensure that they will break and will heavily damage your vehicle when doing so. Make sure to watch video on how to install and remove chains, do not use them on dry roads. I always preferred the cables for most situations, because they are much lighter in weight and much easier to install. If you are driving in really deep snow the steel chains are much better than the cables. On modern front wheel drive vehicles you must install chains on all 4 wheels. When you apply the brakes the rear wheels will pass the front wheels (swap ends) if the chains are on the front. If you only apply chains to the rear on a front wheel drive you will only spin the front wheels. Check with the DOT for their recommendations for the area in which you are driving.

On modern front wheel drive vehicles you must install chains on all 4 wheels.

An increasing number of FWD, AWD, or 4x4's don't even have clearance for chains too! I've had to turn away a ton of Subaru owners because they cannot clear chains of any design. I worked at a tire store close to the mountain pass and if I had a dollar for every tire chain sale I couldn't make because of that I'd be in a different tax bracket, LOL

Based on what I'm hearing, you should get studless snow tires. Running studded snow tires is actually a pretty big compromise to traction in all conditions except ice.

For ice and offroad I use Les Swchab chains on all four wheels and my Land Cruiser is pretty much unstoppable. The picture is from last years big storm; I was helping people get to the hospital for chemo treatments.
27391489519_25d7149f63_z.jpg

I have Nokia Rotiva all season snow tires on the Toyota along with 2 sets of Schwab chains if its really bad. I am really impressed with the tires. I have gone over Hwy 6 fishing the Wilson for steelhead in some sketchy conditions and they handled the road well.

Let me speak up for tire sox or snow sox. I used them on a charter bus for a couple of seasons driving ski trips up to Mt Baker etc. They work well, as intended, and are one hell of a lot easier to put on and remove than either chains or cables. Poke around on U-tube and the net for videos etc.
Here's an article from Consumer Reports: <Tire Socks: An Alternative to Snow Tires? - Consumer Reports>

In one of the videos I looked at they timed a semi driver installing a set on his drive wheels. I think it took 20 seconds. I concur. Oh, and no laying on your back in the slush on the side of the road either. They come off even faster.

If you keep your speed under 25 and don't drive on dry pavement, they last pretty well and cost less than a good set of chains too. They are DOT and EC approved.

Let me speak up for tire sox or snow sox. I used them on a charter bus for a couple of seasons driving ski trips up to Mt Baker etc. They work well, as intended, and are one hell of a lot easier to put on and remove than either chains or cables. Poke around on U-tube and the net for videos etc.
Here's an article from Consumer Reports: <Tire Socks: An Alternative to Snow Tires? - Consumer Reports>

In one of the videos I looked at they timed a semi driver installing a set on his drive wheels. I think it took 20 seconds. I concur. Oh, and no laying on your back in the slush on the side of the road either. They come off even faster.

If you keep your speed under 25 and don't drive on dry pavement, they last pretty well and cost less than a good set of chains too. They are DOT and EC approved.
Les Schwab sells and swears by them now. I had left the company long before they carried them. From what I hear they work very well, unless you are going up to "play" in the snow-ie (four wheeling). They don't dig and pretty much work on the siping concept from what I've heard.

I use the highest end chains (NO Cables!) from Les Shwab.

I used them on my work vehicle and have gone some narrly places towing generators.

They will replace them with a different size as long as the case isn't abused and you have not used them - havnt needed chains on a personal rig in 13+ years.

So when I get new tires or a car I just have them swap me into new ones that fit and it's free for me other then a little time.

In fact now that my wife got a 4x4, I'm going to go trade in the 2 sets I have so that she has 2 sets for her rig and we just won't go anywhere in the car that would require them until I get some cash. I want to say last time I looked they were $120 a set.

Never tried the easy on ones.
Ditto, here. My chains are either "square link" or have ice cleats as my driveway can be impassable, unless you can drive on solid ice.

I have both the les schwab quick fit and a set of auto socks......depending on needs i will use one or the other......anytime i get a new vehicle the first thing i do is get new sets.

We like all of us here had that 28" snow fall last winter early 2017 in January. As it turns out we were snow bound stuck in the driveway for 8 days. We probably could have rammed down the driveway and gotten free driving hard butting snow but I did not want to abuse my Suzuki Suicide Jeep. The highway and city streets got plowed quickly though.

Full Pantry. Power stayed on mostly. No problem being stuck inside the house for 8 days other than being stuck inside the house. Did make snowmen and had the usual snowball fights with neighbors. But ... IF I HAD TO GET FREE could have I? Dunno. Probably not. Thus the need for new chains THAT THIS TIME FIT THE SUZUKI SUICIDE! Proper chains are good.

Chains are expensive. So are extra wheels and dedicated studded tires. Little money. Right now we are trying to figure out the need vs expense. Risk determination. Les Schwab would love to sell me fitted V bar premium chains for all four ends on my Suicide. I can not afford such. The little Jap Jeep does well in mud and stuff. Snow? Dunno. Don't wanna find out.

Or ... just bite that Credit Card bullet and go buy the chains. Consider it another Prepp expense. An expensive Prepp expense. I hate using ANY CC but sometimes ya just gotta. Will advise. That is all. :)

Equal paragraph length is futile. Edited for s/p

Hear ya on the tight budget!

If you all decide to forgoe studdeds this season, keep an eye out on the Craigslist offseason.

May have to buy tires from someone, and rims from someone else.

However, just keeping an eye out on the Craigs, and snapping them up when we could has saved us litterally thousands $ over the years.

Shops back East would charge a nominal fee for mounting and balancing those tires into the rims. Anywheres from $20-$40 for a set of 4. Depended on the size (truck tires can be a PITA), as well as how busy they were.

Not sure on how much they might charge out here, but would expect less than $50 for a 4 set mounted & balanced.

-Just worth considering costs if you do find used sets and need to mount them.

Well worth it to have a spare set allready mounted though. For both your time, rim wear, and in case of a freak storm you can always do the swap over yourself at home if they are mounted.

When the seldom need has arisen, I've used heavy duty cable chains on my Tahoe, and they've worked great. My overall preference it buy buy Mud and Snow tires (e.g. Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S, which have worked great), so that:

-I get good traction in general, in rain/snow and seldom need chains.

-Since I usually don't have chains on, I can have a little fun when it snows, sliding around corners, etc (no fun after putting chains on). Studs could be counter to this point, so I lean toward chains when needed. ; - )

-If I really need it, I can slap the cable chains on and get just about anywhere I need in 4WD. I drove from the Portland Area to Christmas Valley (over the Santiam Pass, through Bend, etc) while about a foot and a half of fresh snow came down over a couple inches that had already fallen (with occasional 3-4 foot snow drifts). I was towing a 12x8' flat bed trailer with 3 quads on it; chained up at the base of the Santiam pass, unchained somewhere around Sisters, and made it to Christmas Valley without issue, then drove all over Christmas Valley for the next week or so without chains. For me, 4WD and good M+S tires works well, with cable chains just in case.

Try over $100 if they weren't purchased from Les Schwab!

Yah, makes sense. They do have overhead.

Worth a look around though.

Firestone
Sears
Costco etc

Costco would have done a single swap (dismount, mount & balance) for my truck at $15.

Have 1 unmounted spare used matching AT for my truck. Dunno why I bought just the 1, shoulda snagged all 4 from the guy. Oh well. Living and learning...

Schwab was able to repair it, free. 2 years or so on it repaired now (with down time when winter studs are on). Nice!

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top