JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yeah good question….
Light weight and reliable? Common cartridge? Or gaudy? Before or after attempted confiscation? Get out of dodge or bug in?
Your mind can go places…..

I have a few higher end options, but for me reliability is very important.

AK47, Remington 870 Police, and Glock 19.
If I had the time and opportunity to choose, it would be four guns; defensive intermediate rifle (5.56 or 7.62x39), defensive sidearm pistol, and a shotgun (I might bring my Shockwave, or I might go for my Savage 24 in 20/.223, or my M6 Scout in .410/.22 RF - since I prep for myself and my two adult "kids" - probably all three to have some versatility).

The fourth would be .22 rimfire something - I have a 15 ounce .22 rimfire rifle that takes down to 16" - that and/or a something like a Browning Buckmark pistol, with a variety of ammo. Each of us also has a Beretta 21a which could go in a pocket somewhere.

The thing is, for us three, our health is not such that we would last long on foot, even if we had something to haul our gear/food behind us - maybe a few weeks. We pretty much will need to get to our shelter ASAP - the plan is to live there and spend most of our time there to minimize the chance that we would have to travel on foot to reach home - but once there, that is where we will stay and where all of the firearms and ammo will be. To that end, we have our "get home" guns; a PS90 and Five Seven for each of us.

The right weapon at the right time is what is needed. Be that a gun, a spear, or sowing doubt. I have used a fair variety of weapons over the years. None are all purpose.

For me, a good distance rifle, a subgun, a shotgun and a pistol would cover my bases if we are talking guns only. If not, I might actually have knife and axe as two of them.

Last Edited:
These little Mp5 22s firing 25 rounds in 0.7 seconds total (about the same rate of fire as the early A10 warthog "brrrrrt" planes) would be pretty distracting to the enemy. Rifle version would have more velocity vs this pistol version.

25 rounds? You gotta pump those numbers up. Those are rookie numbers!

25 rounds? You gotta pump those numbers up. Those are rookie numbers!

DO you remember the nickname for that.? It was something like typewriter or woodpecker or? Form that video it sounds like the american 180 has a more usable rate of fire than the mp5 which is over the top fast. All academic anyway as the american 180 is the only one that could be legally transferred unless a person is a sot 7? license holder. Looks like a blast to shoot.

It really depends on what kind of SHTF we are talking about:

Mad Max: 99% of us will die anyway, but my final moments would be out there with my para FAL and my Beretta 92x...reliability and portability...and ability to deal with many threats at once. If I wanted to more onto portability, either my Wolf A1 Upper-based AR-15 or my M1 carbine would come along instead.

Things breaking down but not broken yet, have to scavenge/scrounge/forage, etc: Concealability becomes key: and since I"m urban/suburban: One of my 9mm PCC's and my Beretta 92x. If I had to go on the road during this time, I'd swap a PCC for a Tavor x95.

The whole "ubiquity" of parts doesn't hold much for me. I figure if it's THAT bad and it's gone on so long I need parts...by then I'll either have acquired an AR-15 if I needed one or some other common parts firearm or...I'll be dead.

Candy-gram.... :D
Andy

Situational awareness....
Avoidance....
And other such LRRP / LRSD skills I once used long ago in several far away lands , would be my first choice.

As far as actual firearms...
It really don't matter.

Learn to use what you have to best of your ability.
Use what you have and adapt yourself to the situation at hand....
'Cause life won't play by your rules , wants or needs.
Andy

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR