JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Anybody here tried the chili out in Sandy at the Tollgate Inn? I love that stuff! Tastes unlike any chili I've had anywhere. I'd love to be able to make it, but honestly I can't figure out what their spices are. I don't taste the usually heavier cumin and chili powder, it's something else. I've tried to reach out to them and ask for the recipe, but only silence, I don't think they want to share :(

Anybody here tried the chili out in Sandy at the Tollgate Inn? I love that stuff! Tastes unlike any chili I've had anywhere. I'd love to be able to make it, but honestly I can't figure out what their spices are. I don't taste the usually heavier cumin and chili powder, it's something else. I've tried to reach out to them and ask for the recipe, but only silence, I don't think they want to share :(

Nothing more depressing than finding a great restaurant and you can't get the recipe. My wife is wonderful at duplicating things like that.

Nothing more depressing than finding a great restaurant and you can't get the recipe. My wife is wonderful at duplicating things like that.

Well then, get her out to the Tollgate Inn for some chili - maybe she can figure it out! I've duplicated some restaurant recipes myself over the years, but this one eludes me.

I don't know how she does it etrain. But she will duplicate it almost to a T and then tweek it to make it better the more times she cooks it. :confused:

I have I mentioned I love this amazing woman.:)

Anyone coming up this way would do themselves a favour by stopping by Fat Smitty's.
Giant greasy burger heaven.
...btw, says its in PT, but actually its about half way there (on the main highway), not too far from Sequim.

Dean

This is a pretty good article, the pineapple can method looks like it would work- How to Smoke Cheese | SeriousBBQs.com

Forgot to mention that you can age your own Tillamook cheese if you have the room. I buy a bunch of the medium cheddar 2 lb. bricks once or twice a year on sale at QFC and just set them in my fridge to age. It does work.
Thanks for the link...and the advice on aging cheese.
I can still get medium baby loaf's for well under $10 any time I want/need.
How long do you leave them in the fridge and do you do anything special to them once you get them home?

Dean

Dino bones AKA beef ribs finishing up on the BBQ last night

IMG_2068.JPG

Pork butt. Smoked, braised, roasted orade into carnitas it is my favorite thing to cook. Takes rubs and marinades well and is forgiving. Low and slow or hot and fast it's tasty.

I like to take a pork butt, rub it with liquid smoke and red Hawaiian sea salt - put it in the slow cooker for 12 hours on low - good stuff. Tastes a lot like pork cooked in an underground pit, but a lot easier. 5 minutes of prep, 12 hours of waiting, then some good eating.

I used to love boiling the crab up after fishn. Sit on the dock and have a beer while they cook then crack an eat ( while fighting off seagulls:p ) till stuffed.

Boiled anything and everything. Doing research for a book. USN sailing ship era. Everything got boiled up. Yuck. But sometimes not that bad. Yumm yumm. :)
Are you boiling in sea water?
If not, try it with some of the dishes you think didn't turn out well....might do the trick.

Dean

With Cockle's we'd let them clean themselves for a couple of hours in a bucket of salt water, then grill'em right on the BBQ.
....makes for great tempura, too! :s0023::s0155:

Thanks for the link...and the advice on aging cheese.
I can still get medium baby loaf's for well under $10 any time I want/need.
How long do you leave them in the fridge and do you do anything special to them once you get them home?

Dean

As long as you want. They are completely sealed, but on the rare occasion you will have a pinhole which will get a little mold in that spot. Used to be waxed, now they have a tough plastic wrap which actually works better and I can't even recall the last one with a pinhole. No special handling, back of fridge works well so they are out of the way. Just don't freeze them. Their medium is aged 60 days, the sharp 9 months, then they have a 15 month, 24 months and 36 months. Seems like they used to have a 5 year too. They also made a "vintage white" which had a blue wrapping, was aged 30 days longer than the medium and was noticeably better, so any aging you do in your fridge will be an improvement. When I buy a bunch on sale, I take the older ones out and put the newer ones at the very back of the fridge. They are date stamped so easy to keep track. Once you start aging though it's hard to go back, if you have a fresh medium it will taste pretty bland.

I should note that the aging works well with the Tillamook 2 lb. loafs. The smaller sizes with the end flaps tend to lose their vacuum seals and mold, and other brands of brick cheese would develop pinholes though that was many years ago when I experimented with different brands so maybe they are better now. Bandon is made by Tillamook now so I'm sure those bricks would also work well. When Tillamook bricks go on sale at QFC stores for $5.99 with no limit, at $3/pound it's pretty hard to beat, especially for that quality of cheddar cheese.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews