JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Mrs. Merkt and I like to look for Post-Christmas food deals. We were at Fred Meyer today; after Christmas, we look in the frozen meat cabinets. Sometimes, they have turkeys and turkey breasts that didn't sell for the holidays and have been severely marked down. Last week, we bought a nice turkey for 99 cents a pound, Not the best deal, like a couple of years ago they were selling turkey breasts dirt cheap and we bought several and used them now and then throughout the new year.

Today, they had left-over hams on the bone for sale. At 99 cents a pound, not the best of deals, as a couple of years ago we got some for 49 cents a pound but things go up in inflationary times.

IMG_20240105_0001.jpg IMG_20240105_0002.jpg

These are one of their better hams, Private Selection, spiral sliced, smoked. Butt cut. When we got home, I unpacked the ham, got out my electric carving knife and cut it all off the bone. Mrs. Merkt divvied it up into packets, five divisions that totalled up 7-1/2 pounds of usable meat. She ate the remaining specks off the bone. This will last us at various times during the coming year.

Today, I was looking for the Boar's Head refrigerator case with those fancy, expensive smoked ham and turkey cuts. I saw them there last week with mid-January sell-by dates. I've watched these before, they lower the prices significantly right after New Year. But I must have missed them by days. They were there last week, gone this week including the refrigerator case. One year, I bought one of their carver hams on this basis. The carver hams are the pork equivalent of flank steak, comes off the side of the hog. I wasn't impressed with the carver ham; it wasn't as tender or flavorful as regular butt or shank cuts.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top