JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So, you're saying prick a tiny little pinhole somewhere on the wrapper?
Won't the cheese get hard in that spot?
I've been buying baby loafs for years and usually pull all the wrap off when I open it, then re-wrap with saran wrap (or similar).
Sometimes that wrap will tear and I'll have a little hole, but the cheese doesn't seem to age anymore, I just get a hard spot at the hole.
I never freeze cheese.
I don't know, I'll give it a shot I guess... just need to know for sure whether to prick that hole in it or not (confirm please).
I think I can still get it for $6.99 anytime, so maybe I'll pick up an extra loaf and just leave It in the downstairs fridge for 6 months.

Dean

1 1/4 lbs. spicy breakfast sausage

3 small hot dogs, sliced lengthwise into quarters

5 jalapeno's, slivered without the seeds

10 slices Swiss cheese

10 slices crispy bacon, (I bake it in the oven until crispy)

In the smoker at 225 with maple/hickory/cherry wood mix for 3hrs

IMG_2085.JPG IMG_2086.JPG IMG_2087.JPG IMG_2088.JPG IMG_2089.JPG

So, you're saying prick a tiny little pinhole somewhere on the wrapper?
Won't the cheese get hard in that spot?
I've been buying baby loafs for years and usually pull all the wrap off when I open it, then re-wrap with saran wrap (or similar).
Sometimes that wrap will tear and I'll have a little hole, but the cheese doesn't seem to age anymore, I just get a hard spot at the hole.
I never freeze cheese.
I don't know, I'll give it a shot I guess... just need to know for sure whether to prick that hole in it or not (confirm please).
I think I can still get it for $6.99 anytime, so maybe I'll pick up an extra loaf and just leave It in the downstairs fridge for 6 months.

Dean

No, I'm saying if a brick has a pinhole it will tend to mold at that spot and you should not age it any further. As for taking the wrapper off after you buy it, don't. Leave it in the original wrapper and just cut the wrapper back as you need to use it. Sarah Wrap will not seal it as well as what the cheese is wrapped in (by Tillamook). And certainly if you plan to age the cheese DO NOT even think about unwrapping it. Take it out of the grocery bag, put it in the fridge. That's it! You might buy lets say 3 bricks. Age one a few months and try it, let the others continue to age a few more months, and try another one. Remember their sharp is aged for 9 months (most other are a year) so if you prefer sharp cheddar you are going to have to wait a while. So after 3 months try one, after 6 months try another one, after 9 months try the last one. If you like the one at 9 months the best, then try a few more and age them even longer. Sure you can just buy them already aged, but aging your own is kind of cool (I dry-age my beef as well because I can, not that I have to)

I have a degree in Animal Science and another one in Microbiology, plus 30 some years in the food business. I wouldn't steer you wrong. Give it a try and pm me on how it all turns out. ;)

Now I got it!
Thanks pdx.
I like my cheese the sharper, the better.
I'll just buy an extra loaf and write "Do not open until...." and put that day's date, but next year.
We've left stuff in that fridge for decades, so a year will be nothing.
Thanks for the clarification.

Dean

Anyone coming up this way would do themselves a favour by stopping by Fat Smitty's.
Giant greasy burger heaven.
...btw, says its in PT, but actually its about half way there (on the main highway), not too far from Sequim.

Dean

We stopped there may times heading up to Port Angeles to see our son stationed there in the Coast Guard. They sure do live up to their name that's for sure!!!

Here is a recent review:
Ttocs Nruboc
2 months ago
Interesting place larger plates but not great food. If you want to be a trump fan and complain about how the Liberals are screwing up America this is a great place for you.. we added some counterbalance to the walls I would not eat here again but people do seem to like it.

Interesting review.
I know a few years ago they had a "chef " who wasn't too good, but they gave him the boot and hired an ex-army cook who I've heard is leagues ahead of the old cook.
That has to be one of the very few reviews I've ever heard/read that were negative in any way shape or form.
...btw, if you're going to visit, do it this time of year because (unless things have changed recently) they're only open in the spring and summer months.
Food's always been great, AFAIC.

Dean

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class