JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It's not so much what I BBQ (although my favorite is Ribeye steak), but how I BBQ it.

A couple of years ago I spent $35.00 on red fire bricks and some wire screen material at Home Depot and built a rocket stove. 90% efficient wood-fired BBQ's anytime I want, thanks to a circular grill consisting of ceramic briquettes (normally it's not possible to BBQ with a rocket stove), invented locally. Fuel consists of yard debris, or sticks and twigs I collect in the neighborhood.
DSC01789.JPG

Italian food is my specialty and what I cook most often, though over the years I have moved away from making my own fresh pasta, sausage, and red sauce to buying them. Can't say I miss the extra work! I like to cook from all the regions of Italy, but saltimbocca and carbonara are two of my favorites. I try to do vegetarian one night a week and do roasted asparagus with fresh pesto linguine. No pizza though, I can make a decent one but not a great one so not worth the effort.

With that said, I would much rather be standing outside with an ice-cold beer cooking something on my Weber charcoal grill. Smoked, grilled, roasted, doesn't matter. To me that is as good as it gets for chef duties. My wife's favorite food is Mexican so I do allot of grilled chicken fajitas and charcoal roasted pork butt for carnitas. She will eat my grilled steaks, but loves prime rib (I don't) so I do one rubbed with blackened seasoning, slow smoked with alder wood, and served with horseradish cream. We both like it so everyone's happy. I once won a contest for my grilled salmon but my wife doesn't eat fish so I never make it.:( I do allot of teriyaki flank steaks, use to make my own marinade until I used Yoshida's one time and the whole family said how much better it was...

Sgt. Nambu- We are big jambalaya fans too but never thought to grill the meats. Tomorrow night I'm going to grill andouille sausages, blackened chicken breasts, and shrimp, while the rice/holy trinity cooks in the oven. Serve the grilled meat over the top of the rice. Not sure if it will be as good as the classic but at least I will be outside with a beer!

Okay screwit.
I might cook breakfast, but I'm going to Jazz's house for supper.
Should I bring beer or vino?

I think I need to talk to you about this!
I'm a sucker for any cheese, but the smoked stuff is incredible!

Care to share any recipes?
It's super easy, do you have a smoker? Even if you don't you can use one of these in any BBQ grill.
Amazon.com : A-MAZE-N Pellet Smoker : Cheese Cold Smokers : Patio, Lawn & Garden
Take any block of cheese, I prefer tillamook extra sharp cheddar and pepper jack. Cut it into sticks about the same size as stick of butter. Then use some good quality pellets, I only use lumber jack MHC pellets
http://bbqlumberjack.com/maple-hickory-cherry-mhc-competition/
Set the cheese out for about 45 minutes before you are gonna smoke it to bring the temperature up. It helps it to be able to absorb the smoke flavor. Put it in to smoke for about 2&1/2 - 3 hrs. Here is the hard part. After it smokes you need to put it in ziplock bags and refrigate it for at least a week before you eat any. The longer it sits the better it gets. I hid some at my moms house for 6 weeks and it was the best thing ever. Shoot me a message if you are ever gonna be in the Salem area and I'll give you some, just don't tell my wife that I'm giving any away :p

I'd like to smoke some of this....

900019.jpg

...but couldn't I just throw some wet Alder, Apple and/or Cherry chips into a BBQ and set the loaf on a plate on the grill?

Dean

I make some mean brazed beef short ribs. Season and lightly flour the short ribs and sear them a minute on each side in a deep pan or dutch oven. Remove the meat and soften Chopped carrots, onions and celery. Turn down the heat, add the meat back into the pan and cover with red wine. Cover and simmer until the meat falls off the bone. Serve on mashed potatoes or rice.

I make some mean brazed beef short ribs. Season and lightly flour the short ribs and sear them a minute on each side in a deep pan or dutch oven. Remove the meat and soften Chopped carrots, onions and celery. Turn down the heat, add the meat back into the pan and cover with red wine. Cover and simmer until the meat falls off the bone. Serve on mashed potatoes or rice.

OK dang you hit my sweet spot! Beef and mashed potatoes YUM!!

I'd like to smoke some of this....

View attachment 358117

...but couldn't I just throw some wet Alder, Apple and/or Cherry chips into a BBQ and set the loaf on a plate on the grill?

Dean

This is a pretty good article, the pineapple can method looks like it would work- How to Smoke Cheese | SeriousBBQs.com

As a WSU alumni, I have to suggest-
54f96dc99b488.image.jpg

Forgot to mention that you can age your own Tillamook cheese if you have the room. I buy a bunch of the medium cheddar 2 lb. bricks once or twice a year on sale at QFC and just set them in my fridge to age. It does work.

Last Edited:
So my wife and I are walking through Costco today and as I am watching the people and sampling the snacks ;) all I could think about was the sunshine and BBQ.

Great minds must think alike because my wife asks me what we should do for dinner. I said in a semi smart azz tone SURF & TURF :D

So BBQ steak and lobster it is!

BBQ in summer with family and friends is the best thing all day long. I like to BBQ almost anything.
Whats your favorite meal and how do you prepare it?
The wife loves steaks and shrimp on the bar-b-que - medium rare for the beef, skewer the shrimp with some bell peppers and onions and pineapple chunks and teriyaki sauce. Add some baked potato and green salad with fresh bread and you're set...

I also make a great chili con carne, no beans, medium spice, but add cayenne to taste - great with cheese, onions and sour cream...

Kind of along those lines, I occasionally will do country spareribs in a slow cooker. Get some country spareribs, cut them in about 2-3" chunks, throw them in the slow cooker with your favorite barbecue sauce (I like to use my grandfather's recipe), a couple of strips of bacon for extra flavor, maybe some onions, then let it all cook on low for 10-12 hours. Tender chunks of meat that almost fall apart as you're taking them out. Makes my mouth water just thinking about it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top