JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I cook everything around here. But... hmmm... I can't say I have a favorite meal. I have dishes that I feel I excel, and I have some great go-to items that I cook probably too frequently.

Beef (and other red meats) - I never heard of tri-tip until I met my wife (she's from California), and I spent a couple years perfecting both grill and oven preparations. Now even her Californian friends request I make it when they/we visit.
I LOVE Hanger steaks, though, they're my true love. Grill or cast iron.

Pork - tenderlion, salt and peppered, rubbed down with dijon, wrapped in prosciutto, and roasted. Otherwise ribs or pulled pork (which my neighbors give me to cook for them)

Seafood - I used to be a fish monger, and I also love saltwater fishing. So... with lingcod or halibut, I treat them like outlined above for the pork tenderloin. Rockfish, battered and fried. Salmon, I'm trying to decide if I divulge my salmon recipes... Marinate in soy, orange juice, ginger and brown sugar.... before cooking, re-coat in brown sugar and good over hardwood flame. Oh, and I make a killer cioppino.

Other mentions, Pho (from scratch, 14+ hours), chili verde (chicken and pork)... and there's a few others...

EoZ0t_nJVgtYAfWCLvI76a34XHZu0xZRParaPyFoArXVj1khgTV_iJrrspuCkGobeS1Cx1qxSJO5YWDpzJ2=w604-h453-no.jpg qH1dJDDnSvyU-oXkDX1Mtes42dw59X_bkblt7WE1gXnotb5kar34IWKroNvNIXNfbnnvB6MMw3IZvYFNiiQ=w616-h821-no.jpg
eA3NzSEHXajePje_pIXF44iWMdhRbCVPni8CBZW1ZYipB2HRiTDYdEhysoHhcb-b_yGj8lrJ9yz1vk2c14X=w616-h821-no.jpg cOnA46hV47TTNmnM_LoAzgyEKGl_9mIHMGkHdOP-xrT8zOu7YdVsRvP73bdWENh9Rzkmhk8ZQxmGLbvGWo4=w616-h821-no.jpg
t1_0M0LgvFoXVBXAjo3mqIGiDEmNuuruXMfYsbOdc2f8xi1O46QZqizpdlWxWIgM1b2eAQkVQFynkmAT5eg=w616-h821-no.jpg KHbJY2acfS07FDKX8LRA32OeGeB3mRKlUWMAeI9qKdPAgmoFUhln9lxmza48yjWS5sE29YruXCEo0HnPZww=w616-h821-no.jpg
z0_zbNRqQB7thvI6NH52oYndGwDGzQ9XFQVoVjhSQkkxOqVttkzZZhkPwZ8MVK1sL_EEOdmfalOKEIpgX0A=w616-h821-no.jpg L2KClXq-DnFaK_aIt8Epf4dCP2vZGIzG4mg9gybbxNaQsD04x7OQ4jg6w31mqHvRR6lESRIgDlZS0-_uCDA=w917-h821-no.jpg
Axa8Ndm7R3H7kPd4kFbZKkk9kKEsuJiOzVeiT4JCJz8SUsa5MV8Y0qj8QTAbOmalHQ_WebhqQqBsFCZ1Tw=w1095-h821-no.jpg gdzsj54W1CqLYIK2bjuv9iqkIRc_6zAih0catRmJ9zFxNL1pbO8_H8TfRqrZMB2PwyY89IYKUXUvNEnQyqbSQ5WQ=s821-no.jpg
xFdqPU4J3wP5QXbgijv2F8HmnVYqxII8distf1ZrmBO2804GJNl5W3NG8txgi0Hc8V7JQb72_sgr7nzQduH8LcKw=s821-no.jpg 8LxdBHKKtJqTCafnT8JZJqwkL04BkQAEuWifDvxb8L33FyRBxWgRwqCoYYfKI6OIdACpjO_bAkyaTI69FIZHBpRA=s821-no.jpg

I also, like to make soups, cream soups, cold soups and any kind of meat and veg soups! Yummm! My signature soup? Oyster Stew with baby Yaquina oysters, tiny potatoes, thyme, from my herb garden and Johnny's Seasoning Salt! Heavy Cream and whole milk.
Simple, but the freshest, best ingredients! :p:p:p

Oops, I forgot bisques and chowders!

Speaking of grits ...
We had a kid hold up the chow line in Basic 'cause he didn't know what grits were... Or if he would like 'em.
All of that came to an end , when Drill Sergeant Jackson , reached over , plopped a huge glob O' grits on Pvt.Snuffy's tray and said "He Does!... Now move the Fvck out!"...:eek::D
Andy

I also, like to make soups, cream soups, cold soups and any kind of meat and veg soups! Yummm! My signature soup? Oyster Stew with baby Yaquina oysters, tiny potatoes, thyme, from my herb garden and Johnny's Seasoning Salt! Heavy Cream and whole milk.
Simple, but the freshest, best ingredients! :p:p:p

Oops, I forgot bisques and chowders!

What, no chili?

I like to cook many things including soups, my favorite soup to cook is Zuppa Toscana as well as a ham and bean soup and a recent addition of a sweet barbecue bean and smoked sausage dish. I'm still working on perfecting a chili recipe, still not happy with what I've done so far - good stuff, but it could be better. I also make a pretty mean Cheddar Ale Soup that will knock your socks off.

I too enjoy making breakfast foods - all kinds, but my specialty is Swedish Hotcakes, which I only make up a few times a year since they're time consuming. I also make, rarely some pretty damn amazing bacon, cheddar and onion scones/biscuits that are to die for - and even better when served up with some eggs and bacon gravy.

A great burger, whether on the stove top or the grill is one of my favorite not only to cook, but to eat.

And I happen to be a pretty decent baker too - cakes, pies, biscuits, etc. My signature baked good - a poppyseed cake with homemade cream cheese frosting, and plenty of it.

Honestly though, my favorite thing to make is anything someone else really just loves - I love cooking stuff that other folks enjoy.

Last Edited:
Speaking of grits ...
We had a kid hold up the chow line in Basic 'cause he didn't know what grits were... Or if he would like 'em.
All of that came to an end , when Drill Sergeant Jackson , reached over , plopped a huge glob O' grits on Pvt.Snuffy's tray and said "He Does!... Now move the Fvck out!"...:eek::D
Andy

Now that right there is some funny chit!!!!
AND YOU BETTER EAT IT ALL PRIVATE!!!:p

The funny part about grits,...
When somebody tells you they're "polenta," and part of the Italian-themed meal they're serving, everyone likes them.
But as soon as someone else refers to them as "grits," because they're "southrun" those same diners stick their nose up at them.

What a bunch of picky eaters.

Speaking of grits ...
Andy

HaHaHa I'm shocked the DI even let him eat! We had a kid like that and the DI said times up kid get out :D

Now we got this thread COOKING! ;)

See what I did :D Pun totally intendid.

Dude I love Rouladin, There is nothing better in this entire world than a good one. My Mom used to make it and it just melted in your mouth. OH and the flavors my god those Germans can cook.:)
I love German food too, even without the beer :D. Throw in a Spaten and I'm all-in.
Schnitzels, German Cabbage rolls, Rouladin,... Yum!
But pork chops with apples, raisins & onions braised in vino blanco is one of my all-time favorites.

I love German food too, even without the beer :D. Throw in a Spaten and I'm all-in.
Schnitzels, German Cabbage rolls, Rouladin,... Yum!
But pork chops with apples, raisins & onions braised in vino blanco is one of my all-time favorites.

OH HE!! ya love me some Schnitzels and my sister makes a mean home made cheese spaetzla. Dang I should have eaten a bigger breakfast this morning :D

When somebody tells you they're "polenta," and part of the Italian-themed meal they're serving, everyone likes them.
But as soon as someone else refers to them as "grits," because they're "southrun" those same diners stick their nose up at them.

It's weird, all right! I freakin' love southern cuisine! It's always full of flavor! Well except for grits. Your supposed to put flavor on top of the grits! I like plain poached or over easy eggs on my grits, with just a little S&P! :D

Yep, more for me... Grits was my first solid food I ever eet....:p:p:p

Funny, I always mixed my bacon or ham, and fried/scrambled eggs in with my Grits and would add a little sour cream if there was some.
I think every one has a chow line in basic story, We had this colored kid from Chicago who had no idea what BBQ Ribs were or how to eat them! Seriously, How do you go through life never knowing what BBQ ribs are, My Ukrainian Bride knew all about Ribs and good BBQ when we met!

Funny, I always mixed my bacon or ham, and fried/scrambled eggs in with my Grits and would add a little sour cream if there was some.
I think every one has a chow line in basic story, We had this colored kid from Chicago who had no idea what BBQ Ribs were or how to eat them! Seriously, How do you go through life never knowing what BBQ ribs are, My Ukrainian Bride knew all about Ribs and good BBQ when we met!

I'll tell you when i was a kid i loved me some yeller grits (buttered to give an old phart a massive HA) I remember a day I was in 3rd grade during lunch I traded everything on my plate for a massive mound of, yep, you guessed it YELLER GRITS. I ate the whole tray. Around 1 pm I was at the nurses station..... my tummy was popped out like an Ethiopian kid after eating a gallon of rice!!!!!! I still loves me some grits but I got smarter that day......:p:p:p

Last Edited:
Italian food is my specialty and what I cook most often, though over the years I have moved away from making my own fresh pasta, sausage, and red sauce to buying them. Can't say I miss the extra work! I like to cook from all the regions of Italy, but saltimbocca and carbonara are two of my favorites. I try to do vegetarian one night a week and do roasted asparagus with fresh pesto linguine. No pizza though, I can make a decent one but not a great one so not worth the effort.

With that said, I would much rather be standing outside with an ice-cold beer cooking something on my Weber charcoal grill. Smoked, grilled, roasted, doesn't matter. To me that is as good as it gets for chef duties. My wife's favorite food is Mexican so I do allot of grilled chicken fajitas and charcoal roasted pork butt for carnitas. She will eat my grilled steaks, but loves prime rib (I don't) so I do one rubbed with blackened seasoning, slow smoked with alder wood, and served with horseradish cream. We both like it so everyone's happy. I once won a contest for my grilled salmon but my wife doesn't eat fish so I never make it.:( I do allot of teriyaki flank steaks, use to make my own marinade until I used Yoshida's one time and the whole family said how much better it was...

Sgt. Nambu- We are big jambalaya fans too but never thought to grill the meats. Tomorrow night I'm going to grill andouille sausages, blackened chicken breasts, and shrimp, while the rice/holy trinity cooks in the oven. Serve the grilled meat over the top of the rice. Not sure if it will be as good as the classic but at least I will be outside with a beer!

So my wife and I are walking through Costco today and as I am watching the people and sampling the snacks ;) all I could think about was the sunshine and BBQ.

Great minds must think alike because my wife asks me what we should do for dinner. I said in a semi smart azz tone SURF & TURF :D

So BBQ steak and lobster it is!

BBQ in summer with family and friends is the best thing all day long. I like to BBQ almost anything.
Whats your favorite meal and how do you prepare it?

You can't beat Costco PRIME steaks and Costco Canadian cold water lobsters! YUM!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top