JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Even if the item (gun, car, house, whatever) seems overpriced to begin with, I can't imagine most sellers willing to take 20% less than their asking price.

Gen - did I understand you correctly? Something would only be "overpriced" if it did not meet the conditions for "fair market value" Therefore if the seller is NOT willing to take 20 % less for something in fact "overpriced" then the seller is obviously NOT that interested in selling the item to begin with or is not willing to negotiate.

I was in a local gun shop buying a gun and a guy came in next to me wanting to sell his glock to the shop. The girl behind the counter knew very little about guns but acted like a typical person behind the counter... a know-it-all. She said matter-of-factly "I'll give ya 20 bucks for it" without a sense of sarcasm.

To which he calmly replied "I could have gotten that in the parking lot".

She didn't know how to break the glock down or have the authority to even buy the thing. What a joke.

Gen - did I understand you correctly? Something would only be "overpriced" if it did not meet the conditions for "fair market value" Therefore if the seller is NOT willing to take 20 % less for something in fact "overpriced" then the seller is obviously NOT that interested in selling the item to begin with or is not willing to negotiate.

I meant that if a seller is serious, they would probably price the item so that they wouldn't be willing to take a price that was 20% less than their asking price.

So, for example, if I have a used Glock 19, and I honestly think it's worth $600 used, then I would ask for $600 and probably not accept offers below $450 (probably not below $500). Even if the original $600 was probably way high and that $450 was probably a better starting price.

I think I'd prefer a buyer that was serious but started with a low offer, rather than someone that was wishy-washy and lacked follow through. As others have said, the seller can always counteroffer or say no.

Sometimes, it seems like it's about intent and how the "lowballer" approaches making the offer. No matter what they say or how they say it, I will respond politely, there's no point in starting internet conflicts.

If someone offers a far smaller price, and tries to invent a reason as to why you should accept the lower price, it's hard not to get insulted, though. For example, it's annoying when folks try to get you to drop the price because your firearm lacks an accessory that the gun never originally came with and isn't necessary for use. I mean, I can totally understand expecting a lowered price if the weapon is missing grips, or a magazine or something, because the buyer will have to get those things if they ever wanna get use out of the gun. But I've had people saying they expect a lower price because "the pistol doesn't include a holster" or "because your rifle doesn't have a muzzle brake" and they would have to spend x amount of money to get these accessories. Why they thought they should get a significantly lower price because the firearms lacked accessories they never had to begin with, is beyond me. I suppose if that logic flies, I should go buy an RV and say "I am going to need to build a much bigger garage to fit this RV, it will involve costs of materials, labor, inspections, the hassle of variances, etc... so can I have a $45,000 discount to cover these expenses?"

I think I'd prefer a buyer that was serious but started with a low offer, rather than someone that was wishy-washy and lacked follow through.

Serious is the operative word here and you beat me to the punch with your quote I posted. Being able to separate the serious buyers from the "tire kickers" is probably the most overlooked aspect of selling because we, as the seller, are the least subjective.

and tries to invent a reason as to why you should accept the lower price, it's hard not to get insulted

ROTFLMAO!!

He/she who would do as this is either a very experienced salesperson him/herself or a complete idiot! I work with salespeople (though not one myself) and I hear this complaint daily! The same thing applies though - keep a straight face and the doors open.

Part of what I am seeing is some of the guns were overpriced when the seller bought them. Now they want to pick up something different, and there asking what they are into it. If I have to retail price, its not a deal to me and looks like a low ball offer if they over paid.

I should go buy an RV and say "I am going to need to build a much bigger garage to fit this RV, it will involve costs of materials, labor, inspections, the hassle of variances, etc... so can I have a $45,000 discount to cover these expenses?"

Your logic is sound however it could be applied to almost any type of up-sell scenario - IE. "I would Love to have this home on property in the country as opposed to my 3 x 2 in the city but I need a riding lawnmower for the huge lawn I now have to cut, expenses for small acreage maintenance, additional costs for private well maintenance, irrigation, property taxes etc. so my offer is X amount of the asking price to cover these expenses.

What you're asking about are basically unreasonable offers. An unreasonable offer is one where the person is trying to get an item or service for less than fair market value. There's a range of what a firearm in a given condition will go for. The range has a high and low. Unreasonable offers are below the low fair market value.

+this.

I've had people argue that "average value" means the most somebody would pay. Really. I've had people assert nobody will pay more than low book. Huh. I've even had folks send hate mail when their pathetic offer isn't politely accepted.

Part of what I am seeing is some of the guns were overpriced when the seller bought them. Now they want to pick up something different, and there asking what they are into it.

My point exactly - if you cannot afford to take a loss on something and make it up later on something else then stay out of "hobby" dealing of anything.

Part of what I am seeing is some of the guns were overpriced when the seller bought them. Now they want to pick up something different, and there asking what they are into it.

My point exactly - if you cannot afford to take a loss on something and make it up later on something else then stay out of "hobby" dealing of anything.

Any offer is a good offer. It means that someone saw your ad. Acted upon it. It is not an insult, unless your are the guy who always lowballs everything, and thus see it happening to self.

You are in no way required to respond or even react. If interested you can counter offer, or just say no. Interest in an item is good. Some good deals are made, and from the number of local gun trading spots, and items that I have been interested in, I can say that these sites are great, good, fair, and nice forums for open discussions, such as this one.. just my .02c

There's a local gun store that needs to learn that lesson. Seems like 85% of their inventory was purchased and priced at the height of the Obama panic. Now, more than a year later the big picture has changed, but their prices haven't.

NEVER buy something (second hand) unless you have an ABSOLUTE price set YOU are willing to pay. NOW I will admit to departing from that on the trade deal I made with a member of this forum but it only came down to what I considered a $100 difference and I sucked it up. I went to look at his gun - as I had to be in his town anyway for the weekend and really had no plans on buying/trading for it but there it was, shiny, like new and in excellent condition on his clean bench and I just happened to have a pile of guns with me and he went away with one and I have the rifle I always have wanted BUT it was a fun exchange, we both respected each other and our dealings and both felt good about our trade. That was worth much more than the approximate $100.00 differential.

Now, more than a year later the big picture has changed, but their prices haven't.

True - I see AR prices dropping but not enough to compete with a CDNN ad of a COLT HBAR for $799! No frills, no weird rails for lights, extra junk, no verticle grips etc. I may be placing an order soon.

"make it up later" on

No problem - as long as what they are making it up on is at fair market value because of a good deal made previously - the law of diminishing returns needs to be understood here. You cannot continue to overprice and expect to get it to cover your losses.

I dont think there is anything wrong with a lowball offer. Beings how 90% of people ask more for their guns than what you can buy new for.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top