JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Moved to Washington from Oregon and I just called the Marion County Sheriff office and they told me that I no longer qualified for an Oregon CHL since I am no longer a resident. I was just calling to get my address changed. I thought that if you lived in any of the surrounding states like Washington you were good to go. She mentioned I needed to own property in Oregon. Is that true?

Owning property is an obvious oversimplification; otherwise, no one who rents in OR would be eligible for a CHL.

When you travel into OR from your new home in WA, what state line OR county would you first transit or visit? Go to that county's web site to determine their requirements to be eligible for an OR non-resident CHL.

And even then, it's not always as it should be.

My boy, an Oregon resident having an Oregon CHL, moved to Washington over a year ago. He's tried multiple times to obtain a now non-resident Oregon CHL with no joy. Seems the rules keep changing. He cannot prove enough need to them to have an Oregon CHL.

Before I am corrected, yes I know some folks get them and have them with zero difficulty.

Check with Columbia County in St Helens. That is where I got mine several years ago and other than the long drive every four years it has been easy to qualify and maintain it.

Thought Oregon is a "Shall issue" state.
Shall issue to RESIDENTS. They're not very friendly to visitors. Oregon is one of the few states that does not acknowledge any other state's CCW permit. CA is the same way...cause they're A-Holes like that. But historically OR has issued permits to people in the immediate adjacent states...WA, ID, etc. But not every county in OR will do this. And finding one that will isn't always easy.

Personally I am in the Vancouver area and got mine from Multnoma (spelling?) county with zero issues and renewals have been stupid easy.

Under the part where it asked me why I need a CHL in Oregon I just put that I travel to Oregon often for both business and personal reasons.

Never got asked in person and it's been awhile so no idea what they do now.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top