JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Having done a few transactions here, I was wondering what you all would consider to be a "lowball" offer? Let's say it's a pistol, in good/great shape, and the asking price is $500.

Generally, I'd say 20% less than the asking price is the limit before something becomes a lowball offer. Even if the item (gun, car, house, whatever) seems overpriced to begin with, I can't imagine most sellers willing to take 20% less than their asking price. I personally wouldn't take a 20% offer, but I wouldn't be insulted by one.

Then again, I guess cash in hand is a great bargaining tool.

What do you think? What discount would insult you as a seller?

I call it someone trying to get a good deal, stranger things have happened. Just counter back with full price or 90% and let them make the next move. Think about it, if you are the potential buyer, you are trying to get the best deal you can.

I've had plenty of low ball offers throughout the years, I just counter the offer and see what they do.

If an offer is about 10-15% lower than I am willing to take, I will usually counter, but if it is a really low ball offer I don't even respond.

I personally price any guns I want to sell at what I consider a very good price and give myself a little negotiating room.

I've also seen some folks on this forum price items at ridiculously high prices, but they usually get the msg pretty quick when no offers are forthcoming.

I was trying to sell my fathers ar15 locally to a friend of friend who was in search of a "reasonably priced ar15"
It had seen less than a hundred rounds of 22lr through it, and he was throwing in the 22lr kit and a red dot sight... My father was offering it all to him for $650.

The friend of a friend sent me a text message that said something along the lines of:
"I'll offer you $250 for it. If you're desperate enough, you'll take it."

That was an unreasonable offer. He never got a response.

It ended up selling on the classifieds here and as far as I know the new owner is happy with the rifle and the deal he got.

Alot of people put OBO though and get offended if someone offer say 10-20% less... Which is stupid... If its FIRM, say so... Does not anyone KNOW what OBO stands for???

OR BEST OFFER, implying youll sell it to whatever your best offer is. For instance, I have a bunch of ammo for sale currently, I know what Id like to get for it, but wouldnt be offended if someone offered me less than Im asking, so what..... I dont have to sell it to them, and have alot more serious crap to deal with than worrying about a "lowball"...

Regardless of what someones best offer, lowball or not, you open yourself for it if you use that term.

\ .02

LOL.

I'm not sure what would be call a "lowball offer" percentage wise. But I do wonder about people who get their panties wadded up over a counter offer that is done respectfully, it is easy to decline or give a counter offer that you will accept.

I do get a little annoyed with people who continue to offer unrealistic offers after you've declined their first one and ask things like what if you take the sights off or no grips or etc., and then tell you about all the places that have the same one in better condition for half the price your asking. Why aren't they buying the other ones they know of instead of brow beating me?
I consider this type of person to be a "Lowballer" and get a little short with them after a while.:s0054::s0012::pound:

What you're asking about are basically unreasonable offers. An unreasonable offer is one where the person is trying to get an item or service for less than fair market value. There's a range of what a firearm in a given condition will go for. The range has a high and low. Unreasonable offers are below the low fair market value.

I don't understand people getting mad or upset over "lowball" offers. Everyone's definition differs between "lowball" and "getting a good deal". Although, it's common sense that offering more than 10-20% has a VERY low chance of being accepted...I wouldn't be offended if someone made that offer. I'd just say no...or if it was "ridiculous" may not even respond.

On a different forum, I once offered someone $100 less than an already really good price (from 1,150 to 1,050). The item was probably "worth" at least $1,500. However, he needed a quick sale and that's all I had to send. I told him all this in the offer and even prefaced by saying "I hope you won't be insulted, I know you're asking price is already a great price, but I only have this much to send." He took the offer and was quite happy to sell it so he could complete another deal he was making. It was a deal that wouldn't have happened (to BOTH our regrets) if I'd been nervous about insulting the guy and not even making the offer.

I tell this story to show that I think the market is best served by everyone offering whatever they want (respectfully) and the seller just saying 'no' if they aren't interested. No harm, no foul for anyone.

I do agree the repeated lowball offers are just annoying.

i was at a gunshow once during the 94 ban i bought my preban colt with a colt M4 upper and carbine stock with me and a guy at a table offered me $300 for it and said he had to make something off it and would only be able to get $400 for it cause thats all it was worth as he was surrounded by tables with preban rifles all over $1600 -2000

i was insulted cause he was not only insulting the value of the rifle but also my intelligence

A couple guys have already alluded to it, but I don't think the % has much to do with it. I've seen guys with basic Glocks used with a couple extra mags asking $600. 20% would put it about the market value and should not be frowned upon. On the other hand I've seen $1000 guns offered at $800, offering 80% would make the price $640 which I would find insulting and would not warrant a reply. That being said I did offer a shop $50 less on a gun that was already $100 than any other shop in town.:s0114:

I don't understand people getting mad or upset over "lowball" offers.

-Usually because the offer is a complete waste of time. For example someone wants a whole bunch of pictures and then comes in with an offer that's completely unrealistic. Jerking someone around and then submitting a ridiculous offer shows a massive level of disrespect and selfishness.

It's one thing if you want to waste your time, it's another if you want to waste my time.

A lowball offer is one that is obviously an insult to one's intelligence, or an attempt to unfairly and unreasonably exploit a seller's need for quick cash.

I dont feel bad about making a lowball offer if I preface it by admitting to that fact and if my intent is not to screw the person over. In other words, its OK to say "hey, all I can afford is $400, what you have is worth a lot more than that but if you have to cash out today its the best I can do." In that situation, I am at least being honest and treating the person with respect instead of trying to screw them over.

All is fair in love, war and horse trading - regardless if it is a horse, gun or otherwise. Unless you say firm (as someone already mentioned) then the door is open and the best way to slam the door shut is to get offended by a "lowball" offer - OK - my opinion of lowball? 50% of fair market value - but who cares you are the seller and can easily say no or try this one on your next deal - "Well I'll think about it but just so I feel ok about this what have YOU got to throw in if I accept your offer?" I have literally wound up better off many times by taking the lower offer (or maybe getting the "lowball" offer bumped up a little) and then accepting something in trade. I sold a boat a few years ago and the buyer offered me a price (which is what I had planned on accepting anyway regardless of the buyer) and I laid the "Well what have you got to throw in" on him and I got a nearly new Dan Wesson .357 and a couple boxes of ammo. Drive a hard bargain but make a liberal settlement - it always leaves the other guy willing to do business again. One last thing - never expect to make good on every deal. I recently made a trade with a member of this forum and I'll admit I had a poker face because I HAD to have the gun he was selling and ultimately the trade left me a little "upside down" but then a few weeks later I sold a gun that cost me nothing in a trade for $350.00. Wheeling and dealing is a game you need to enjoy or say 'Firm' on all your future sales.

It's simple, just tell people what you want for the gun and you are firm on the price. Lot's of guys here post things for sale but never say firm on the price so that means they are open for best offer. Comunication is simple, just tell people what you are willing to take.

jj

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads