JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What Do CDC's Surveys Say About the Frequency of Defensive Gun Uses? by Gary Kleck :: SSRN

Abstract
In 1996, 1997, and 1998, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) conducted large-scale national surveys asking about defensive gun use (DGU). They never released the findings, or even acknowledged they had studied the topic. I obtained the unpublished raw data and computed the prevalence of DGU. CDC's findings indicated that an average of 2.46 million U.S. adults used a gun for self-defense in each of the years from 1996 through 1998 – almost exactly confirming the estimate for 1992 of Kleck and Gertz (1995). Possible reasons for CDC's suppression of these findings are discussed.

Keywords: Defensive Gun Use, Surveys, CDC

As a now retired RN my best educated hunch is that The Center For Disease Control has been for a long time pretty much been taken over by the political pundits. Do they have a political agenda? In my humble opinion ... YES!

Is that bad or good? Depends. Some very infectious sexually transmitted diseases have pretty much been swept under the rug. Strange that that happens when other traditional well known old bad diseases still get heavy billing.

Just me.

Last Edited:
" CDC's findings indicated that an average of 2.46 million U.S. adults used a gun for self-defense in each of the years from 1996 through 1998....."

More like 20 or 30 or 40 times that number of people have a gun locked and loaded for self-defense, although most will never need to pull the trigger. Just last night I hear a thump downstairs. I grab my gun and go down to investigate. Nothing down there. Didn't use the gun, but I was ready to if needed.

Every night people in the USA sleep soundly because they have a gun for self-defense if needed. How many crimes don't happen because criminals know many of us are armed? That would be a large number.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top