JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
There are many essentials for a defensive pistol, among them, the reliable ability to NOT shoot, as well as absolute reliability TO shoot. A successful defensive handgun engagement may resolve without a shot fired, but there will be some extremely high stress gun handling, even if just for reholstering. So, to that point, I will cheerfully assert that an ideal defensive handgun will have:
- An initial trigger pull that mitigates the risk of a less-than-deliberate first shot.
- Second strike capability. Pull the trigger again for another primer strike.
- Completely ambidextrous controls. You may not have the luxury of using your dominant hand, or both hands.
- A hammer or striker control plate to prevent ND while reholstering.
- A decocking mechanism to revert to a deliberate trigger pull, which cannot be left in a no-fire "safe" mode; i.e., spring return to fire mode after decocking.
- If continuity of fire is expected after an initial shot volley, an easily loaded mag well. Not applicable for those relying solely on the rounds in the gun, with no other mags on person, or most revolver users.
- For "always cocked" guns (striker fired), a manual safety in event the gun must be off your person and control to comply with safety or control commands ("Police, drop your gun!"), or transferred to another person in crisis conditions.

My review of available options reduces the choices to two current models suitable for CCW, and although reasonably light, neither of them are compact. That's based on the requirement for completely ambidextrous controls; trigger, mag release, slide stop, safety/decocker, and hammer or striker control plate, and one-hand second strike capability.

Anticipating two common arguments:

If your finger is your safety, you're not safe. Proven by studies I'm happy to cite.

Second strike is not mandated in order to ignite a theoretical stubborn primer, agreeably so rare in factory ammo that it's not an eventuality that merits obsessive training. But the reality is that a primer struck once unsuccessfully in a defensive engagement will be overwhelmingly likely to ignite on a second strike, because the issue was never the primer, it was the failure to fully headspace or go into battery due to interference in cycling, with some of the energy intended for ignition instead absorbed by round motion relative to the chamber. This absorption itself tends to ready the round for a successful second strike. This phenomenon often occurs due to unusual movement or orientation of the firing hand, or interference with slide motion in grappling or close quarters. Not range conditions, gunfight conditions.

Fair warning: I don't like single action or striker fired guns for defensive emergency use. I do appreciate them for other purposes and reasons.

Well, this should set the fur a flyin'. Flame on!

Welcome to the forum.

Just tossing this out there for consideration.....
Not out to argue , change minds or anything else...
Again just posting this as something to consider.

Defensive firearms are very personal and subjective.
What I mean here is....

What works well for one person , in their situation...
May not work so well for someone else in a different situation.
The same can be said for :
Hard and fast "rules" , so to speak , they may not work so well for everyone either.

Which is okay...as long as whatever is chosen , works for that person in their situation.

It does not mean that it will work for you...that it needs to work for you...or that you even need to like it.
To me at least...there is no "right" or "wrong" here.
If what you have and do , works well for you...then do so.
Andy

There are many essentials for a defensive pistol, among them, the reliable ability to NOT shoot, as well as absolute reliability TO shoot. A successful defensive handgun engagement may resolve without a shot fired, but there will be some extremely high stress gun handling, even if just for reholstering. So, to that point, I will cheerfully assert that an ideal defensive handgun will have:
- An initial trigger pull that mitigates the risk of a less-than-deliberate first shot.
- Completely ambidextrous controls. You may not have the luxury of using your dominant hand, or both hands.
- A decocking mechanism to revert to a deliberate trigger pull, which cannot be left in a no-fire "safe" mode; i.e., spring return to fire mode after decocking.
- If continuity of fire is expected after an initial shot volley, an easily loaded mag well. Not applicable for those relying solely on the rounds in the gun, with no other mags on person, or most revolver users.
- For "always cocked" guns (striker fired), a manual safety in event the gun must be off your person and control to comply with safety or control commands ("Police, drop your gun!"), or transferred to another person in crisis conditions.

My review of available options reduces the choices to two current models suitable for CCW, and although reasonably light, neither of them are compact. That's based on the requirement for completely ambidextrous controls; trigger, mag release, slide stop, safety/decocker, and hammer or striker control plate, and one-hand second strike capability.

If your finger is your safety, you're not safe. Proven by studies I'm happy to cite.

Second strike is not mandated in order to ignite a theoretical stubborn primer, agreeably so rare in factory ammo that it's not an eventuality that merits obsessive training. But the reality is that a primer struck once unsuccessfully in a defensive engagement will be overwhelmingly likely to ignite on a second strike, because the issue was never the primer, it was the failure to fully headspace or go into battery due to interference in cycling, with some of the energy intended for ignition instead absorbed by round motion relative to the chamber. This absorption itself tends to ready the round for a successful second strike. This phenomenon often occurs due to unusual movement or orientation of the firing hand, or interference with slide motion in grappling or close quarters. Not range conditions, gunfight conditions.

Fair warning: I don't like single action or striker fired guns for defensive emergency use. I do appreciate them for other purposes and reasons.

Oh now.

KISS, you need a wheel gun.......

A self defense pistol that has more than 1 function?? :s0153:

Did I miss the introduction of the Swiss Army Pistol ?
Heck I didn't even know that Victorianox HAD a booth at ShotShow22. :s0092:
Hhmmmm …:s0153:…..we'll I s'pose that the NAA mini revolver can also be a belt buckle, but I wouldn't necessarily call it a pistol (it's a revolver) or for self defense.

fist dollars GIF

Don't nerd out on the hypothetical perfect pistol and those details. A good self defender is not created behind a keyboard imagining specs. Instead, find a reliable gun that you like and practice (train) with it, a lot. Don't waste time on hypothetical specs on your computer and be a keyboard warrior. Your "perfect gun" for you that you spend all this time trying to find and never get out to shoot much at all will be 100 times less effective than if you instead found a good gun and practiced with it a lot.

With all due respect, cite all the studies you like. Some of us have carried handguns professionally for a LONG, LONG time. MOST of the currently available mainstream handguns are very well suited to defensive pistol work given adequate training and frame of mind. Some are arguably better or worse than others, but most of that is subjective and subject to the confines of the given use. I personally carry a wide range of pistols, most of which break one or more of your stated rules. And I will continue to do so thank you. They have all served me well for many years and I trust them to continue to do so. NONE of them meets all of your criteria by the way (well, MAYBE one.). Good luck.

Probably have a stroke with the variation in handguns I rotate for carry. Get what works for ya and as always remember the three P's of carrying for self defense...........
PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE

or just keep you booger hook of the trigger until you want a bang.

There is a lot of stupid nonsense spewed in the gun/defensive world, this is one of the more stupid ones. If I get a click instead of a bang the last thing I'm doing is the same thing that just failed me, I'm not going to pull the trigger again I'm going to tap and rack with purpose and get back to work. It works across the board with SA autos, DA/SA autos, DAO autos and striker-fired autos, basically all of them. This stuff isn't rocket surgery, don't complicate it.

I am left-hand and managed to get by with Gen 3 Glock for years and can competently use them with either hand.

In direct conflict your "second strike" criterion, but whatever. Its real simple, always draw with purpose and holster with reluctance.

No thanks, but if you want a classic Sig go for it but that would blow you ambi requirement. I will say the Beretta coming out with the updated G type is one of the smartest thing they could have done with their 92 series.

- If continuity of fire is expected after an initial shot volley, an easily loaded mag well.
By the nature of the design all double stack mag pistols have this feature as they have a large mag hole and are insert a single feed mag into it.

Shove your manual safety nonsense, passive safeties are all that is needed. Feel free to fumble your safety to your hearts content but the ONLY manual safety I'll have on a pistol will be a 1911/2011.

Maybe you should broaden your horizons. :s0092:

:rolleyes: Whatever.

Covered this one above.

Again do what you want, I'll take either over a DA/SA as I prefer a consistent trigger pull every time.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top