JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My experience is, once people in a small community decide you are a good guy, they accept you. They might make a stupid joke from time to time, but they've got your back.

The most prejudiced people I personally know are upper middle class urban elites. They may try different foods.. or travel to different countries, but they will routinely "other" you. They will couch it in the form of curiosity but it's not that. Their form of discrimination is much more subtle and insidious.
Second paragraph is sooo true! Happens to me quite a bit

I hope the author really knows the difference between hispanic and latino, the interchange used seems to overlap a bit too much.

Otherwise a good read.

When I was working on building offshore oil rigs down in Texas, the workers I knew were buying guns because of the mules that were crossing the border and traipsing through their yard every day.
Ooof, abuela's killin me with that stance and grip. And what looks like a pronounced squinty sighting style.
The picture of her and the teacher -- hold your gun like that at TCGC more than 2x and you'll be excused from the range.

My experience is, once people in a small community decide you are a good guy, they accept you. They might make a stupid joke from time to time, but they've got your back.

The most prejudiced people I personally know are upper middle class urban elites. They may try different foods.. or travel to different countries, but they will routinely "other" you. They will couch it in the form of curiosity but it's not that. Their form of discrimination is much more subtle and insidious.
In my experience, they "other" a lot of "White" people who don't measure up to their socio-economic standards. They teach same to their kids, too. Try dating their daughters for instance.

I hope the author really knows the difference between hispanic and latino, the interchange used seems to overlap a bit too much.

Otherwise a good read.
I dunno about any "latino" or "latina" or even "latinX", but I've met a heckofalotta HISPANICS out here in southern Colorado in my time... Even a few "Chicanos"... even dated a couple.
I think the difference is what people call themselves as a group and what the media calls them.🤠

I dunno about any "latino" or "latina" or even "latinX", but I've met a heckofalotta HISPANICS out here in southern Colorado in my time... Even a few "Chicanos"... even dated a couple.
I think the difference is what people call themselves as a group and what the media calls them.🤠
Well, in a basic nutshell, hispanics are persons who speak Spanish as a native language, Spaniards not included. Hispanics are considered an ethnicity of the White race. Latinos or LatinX are persons for all of Latin America, even if you speak Portuguese or Creole but come from those regions. Latinos are primarily considered an ethnicity of the White race too but many well say they are closer to the indigenous, however they may be classified in the 3 races of the world. This is all a memory from a college course called Genes of the World, I earned an A so maybe I know a bit. :rolleyes: :) :s0092:

In my experience, they "other" a lot of "White" people who don't measure up to their socio-economic standards. They teach same to their kids, too. Try dating their daughters for instance.
Classic example is people from Appalachia. Or Irish earlier in US history. Even Scandinavians were at least briefly considered non-white when their language and customs seemed crude to the largely English settlers in the US. But back then race was not so much a biological notion, it was closer to ethnicitiy or 'nationality' as we think of it now.

Classic example is people from Appalachia. Or Irish earlier in US history. Even Scandinavians were at least briefly considered non-white when their language and customs seemed crude to the largely English settlers in the US. But back then race was not so much a biological notion, it was closer to ethnicitiy or 'nationality' as we think of it now.
Humans are social (pack/flock/herd, etc) animals, and as a result, hierarchies are unavoidable. If all of humanity was the same "race", something else besides that would be used to "rank" others. The more people fight against that natural order, the more unintended consequences result.

Humans are social (pack/flock/herd, etc) animals, and as a result, hierarchies are unavoidable. If all of humanity was the same "race", something else besides that would be used to "rank" others. The more people fight against that natural order, the more unintended consequences result.
eeeYup.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR