JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I didn't get much done in the way of preps today. Though I did replace the springs with Wolff brand type on three 30-round M1 Carbine magazines, loaded them up, and clipped two of them together simply for the giggles.

Clips.jpg

I just bought 2 30rd m1 carbine mags that are both jamming. Is the spring kit pretty much the only way to fix that?

I've read on the Intratubes that replacing the springs with Wolff's do the trick. However, I, literally, just swapped these out a few hours ago, so I haven't had a chance go to test them out on the home range yet. I can report back once I do though. :)

Many types, brands and manufactures of 30 round M1 Carbine mags. Some are junk, most work kinda and a very few work perfectly. What we have found is to just try the usual shiet and giggles mag dumps, seeing if the mags work for you or not. Does not seem to matter if the mags are genuine USGI or not at all.

M2 Carbine short, medium and long bursts, along with that aforementioned 30 rd fun dump.

If they work perfectly, keep them. If they are junk, squish them. If they work kinda, trade them off with the verbal function disclaimer. That is what we do. Be sure your late type three tit mag catch is in good shape. We have not tried the after market replacement springs. Another project would be to count them all.

All Oregon, US Code Laws And NFA Rules Apply. The best mags we have found are the Korean GI, wrapped in brown wax paper with a single rubber band. These are rare, heavy weight, hard, well made and work for us 100%. We have an unknown total number of them. The Lucky Gunner mags seem to work Ok but are not as heavy.

Another SHTF project for us would be to conduct an actual mag count. Yikes! Worserer than inventorying, (sp?) the Pantry Contents. :)

Edit: Slightly sliding off topic here. The CMP forum has a good Carbine Sub Forum. This afternoon we are going to try again to inventory the Pantry. Ahhhh! Wish us luck. :)

Last Edited:
What I did to prepare? Got my butt back on this forum.

Funny - was talking to a great guy here on the forum without knowing so and mentioned this forum and who I was - "You are Burt Gummer?" Love that - we run across each other in our lives more than we could imagine.

Rough year. One friend had a stroke, been helping him learn to speak again. Another double hip surgery on the 9th. Another bad car wreck.

Maybe it is bad luck to be associated with me! :D Ten hour work days on top of all of that, haven't been to the range in months.

I am a very loyal and helpful friend, but I have to get back to having some joy in my life and that starts with a nice fonding of a very lonely and neglected PS90 SBR. Waited almost two years to get that SBR'd and it hasn't even been fired. Now that is sad.

Hope everyone has kept safe and happy.

What I did to prepare? Got my butt back on this forum.

Funny - was talking to a great guy here on the forum without knowing so and mentioned this forum and who I was - "You are Burt Gummer?" Love that - we run across each other in our lives more than we could imagine.

Rough year. One friend had a stroke, been helping him learn to speak again. Another double hip surgery on the 9th. Another bad car wreck.

Maybe it is bad luck to be associated with me! :D Ten hour work days on top of all of that, haven't been to the range in months.

I am a very loyal and helpful friend, but I have to get back to having some joy in my life and that starts with a nice fonding of a very lonely and neglected PS90 SBR. Waited almost two years to get that SBR'd and it hasn't even been fired. Now that is sad.

Hope everyone has kept safe and happy.

Welcome back! Hope you get a bunch more relaxation time coming up.

+Nice on the PS90 SBR, also hoping you can post up how it does once you do take it out.

We just picked up a PS90 (regular size), and also haven't had a chance to range run it yet.

Did just get 6 50 rd mags for it dropped from fedex this afternoon, so that kinda counts as what we did to prep today...haha.

FYI: SGAMMO has SS198 in stock around $.60/rd. Hoping they'll have some left in the morning for us to put in an order...

Thanks for the tip on the ammo! Ordered 500 - that should last me a couple hours. :cool:

Your welcome! I'm just thinking on buying enough SS198 to function check each gun with, then keep it for personal defensive ammo.

For range ammo, keep an eye on Palmetto State. They have seemingly every other week specials on American 5.7, usually with free shipping, as well as frequent deals on FN SS196. Both I think under or about $.40/rd.

I can report back once I do though. :)

Hey me from a few days. So, I tried the 30-rounders after replacing the springs. One ran great, one ran so-so, one was completely worthless (jamming every 1-3 rounds). I'm going to stick with 15-rounders, some of which run flawlessly, but keep the working 30-rounders just for fun.

Beyond, that, did some shooting with our suppressed Ruger 10/22. I also cleaned out the truck and, in the process, worked through and repackaged survival supplies in said. I'm now working on some radio-related projects.

For $12, I got two boxes at an estate sale full of quick-clot packs, surplus bandages, and aluminum-handled tourniquets.

I also got about 25 reloading trays for $12 (the one's that sell for $12 each at sportsman's warehouse) and about 12 large plastic ammo boxes for $8

Burts back! Glad to see you, figured you'd gone full Grey man. :)

Went and checked on the Camas I planted. Most of the 50 bulbs I planted are growing. Now, how do I leverage that into 4,000 plants all over the place?

At work, all along the nature trail, next to the park in the natural are.....

Also worked out in the am, recharged my 18650 batteries (my emergency radio in the faraday cage takes them as well as most of my flashlights), cleaned and oiled a pistol, 3 spare barrels, my Leatherman Charge Titanium (starting to rust), my knife (also starting to rust) and then went and bought 2 bricks of 400 rounds per of .22 LR at Fishermans Marine they have on sale for less than $50.

Last Edited:
Last month I finished an AR pistol build in 300BLK. It took me almost a week (off & on) but I finished case prep of over 1k .223 % 5.56 cases, gonna make a lot of Freedom boolits for all the 30 round magazines I stocked up on this winter after the election...:D:D:D

I visited the neighbor who lost her husband a couple months ago. He had his FFL for 49 years as a gunsmith.
She has a bunch of lead she asked if I wanted:eek:.
I try to be nice to neighbors ;)

Took advantage of a special at Emergency Essentials, #10 can of their Scrambled Egg Mix and a can of Yoders bacon for $35.95 shipped. Wanted to try the bacon. Can't get the link to work but the code for the free bacon is "YODERS" after you add the can of Emergency Essentials Scrambled Egg Mix and Yoders' Bacon. Today only.

Emergency Essentials® Scrambled Egg Mix Large Can

Yoders' Bacon 9 oz

Just so you know... It is quite easy to can your own bacon. My wife did several jars as part of getting her Master Food Preservationist certificate. I don't know the details off the top of my head since it has been a few years but I am sure the wise and wonderful all-knowing InterOz can tell you. It worked out fine, as did potatoes, even after 3 years they were quite tasty and suitable to mash or fry.

Brutus Out

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews