JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've taken over the yard maintenance including the garden area. My goal is to have a Salsa garden next year. Lots of work to be done before that can happen. Garlic gets planted the end of October, Onions in January. Tomatoes and peppers are planted after the last hard frost. All I've done so far is weed eat enough to find the Blueberries.

We grew 12 Habanero "bushes" one year. They got huge and were loaded with peppers.

At the end of the season, we dug them up and moved them into our solarium with a hot tub to keep it warm. We were still growing peppers in December.

The problem with Habaneros is you can't give enough away and are stuck with bushels and ended up canning them. Once a friend gets a few of the peppers, they are DONE. Very hot peppers, or wimpy friends.

My wife sucked out all of the air out of the kitchen pealing and cutting up the peppers. It was like trying to breath in chlorine gas or pepper spray. You didn't dare touch your face, especially around the eyes

We finally started using them as mole deterrent. It worked pretty well. :s0114:

The problem with Habaneros is you can't give enough away and are stuck with bushels and ended up canning them. Once a friend gets a few of the peppers, they are DONE. Very hot peppers, or wimpy friends.

My wife sucked out all of the air out of the kitchen pealing and cutting up the peppers. It was like trying to breath in chlorine gas or pepper spray. You didn't dare touch your face, especially around the eyes

We finally started using them as mole deterrent. It worked pretty well. :s0114:
:s0140: that's hilarious! You never mentioned, aah, umm, going pee? :eek:
Man, I never got the "Hot Pepper" thing. I liked to taste my food. If I wanted hot, hot to me anyway, store-bought serrano's did the trick. Even jalapenos USED to have a nice bite.

From Papa Murphys I order a BBQ chicken pizza with a side of jalapeños to spread on it before I bake it. Sweet and spicy, I like spicy but for some reason I just can't eat a bell pepper.

Had neighbors that immigrated from India and their food would make a Mexican cry it was so spicy.

Reminds me of years ago a man from Laos I worked with was putting hot sauce on his noodles. Mexicans on the crew thought he was a pus for just putting a drop in his noodles so they got the bottle from him and put a big glog on a doriito.

Mexican turned pale then ran screaming for the water jug. :s0140:

Point is you can buy for your preps hot sauce that goes a long way out of a little bottle. You may wish you had something to hide the taste of what you find to eat.

From Papa Murphys I order a BBQ chicken pizza with a side of jalapeños to spread on it before I bake it. Sweet and spicy, I like spicy but for some reason I just can't eat a bell pepper.

Had neighbors that immigrated from India and their food would make a Mexican cry it was so spicy.

Reminds me of years ago a man from Laos I worked with was putting hot sauce on his noodles. Mexicans on the crew thought he was a pus for just putting a drop in his noodles so they got the bottle from him and put a big glog on a doriito.

Mexican turned pale then ran screaming for the water jug. :s0140:

Point is you can buy for your preps hot sauce that goes a long way out of a little bottle. You may wish you had something to hide the taste of what you find to eat.
Yeah - I worked with Indians at Daimler - most of the IT contractors were from India. Excellent food! But I needed to get the toned down stuff. and be careful to not eat the small peppers (same with Thai food).

I also avoid real Wasabi from Japan.

I have plenty of hot sauce to add to stews/etc., but I find that while it doesn't spoil (mostly due to the salt and acid), it comes in clear bottles and the tomato/chili sauce will oxidize due to sunlight and ruin the taste eventually - turning it from red to brown. So I go with a selection of curry powders and ginger and other spices - ginger is great, as is garlic and others - but I get lazy and don't keep track of how much I should use with what - I just add until the taste seems right, sometimes too much and sometimes not a good result.

Yesterday I quietly bought a Ruger American Ranch Rifle in 5.56MM. I have just come in from placing a M16 flash suppressor on the muzzle to reduce flash signauture and will add M16 dust cover to keep crud out of barrel. I also cut off about 3/4' inch from the butt end and replaced the rubber pad with a steel buttplace and mounted a red/green point sight. It is now 35 5/8" long. This will be a travel rifle when we are out traveling. It has a 10 round mag and I am dipping the bolt in Tooldip to increase the size of the knob. I will be carrying 62 gr ammo in it.
It takes standard AR 20 and 30 round mags as well. I will place a AR nylon sling on it converted to to M1 Sling variation.

This afternoon I will zero it for POA/POI at 300 yards.

Last Edited:
4 more rotisserie chickens in the freeze dryer, going up some 4-cheese hamburger helper but going to add a couple lbs of shredded chicken..

If any survives, freeze drying a good bit of it...

4 more rotisserie chickens in the freeze dryer, going up some 4-cheese hamburger helper but going to add a couple lbs of shredded chicken..

If any survives, freeze drying a good bit of it...
Dude, how many pounds of costco freeze dried chicken so you have now?!

I've been on the fence a long time regarding purchasing a freeze dryer, and every time I see your posts in this thread it inches me ever so closer to getting one. One of these days...

Dude, how many pounds of costco freeze dried chicken so you have now?!

I've been on the fence a long time regarding purchasing a freeze dryer, and every time I see your posts in this thread it inches me ever so closer to getting one. One of these days...
Not very many considering once freeze dried, it's incredibly light, lol...

If you want a FD, contact Lincoln City Sporting Goods. They are the FFL I got mine from...

I don't run the FD much in the summer since it generates a lot of heat and I don't have central AC but lately I've been making a point to do 3-4 chickens worth a week among other things...

Been buying 6 costco chickens a week, 2-3 to eat and cook with and 3-4 to freeze dry...

Kinda stepping a but outside my budget with how things are going but I'd rather have the food in reserve...

Planted two apple trees, cherry bush, blueberries and thornless raspberry bushes. Also have an 8x8 green house and just built a a 3X6 planter box for square foot gardening. Will wait a week or two and plant carrots, parsnips, cabbage, beets and cauliflower. Will also harvest my pickling cucumbers and make and can some pickles. Next will be dehydrated meat.

Started apply SnoSeal to some ripstop cargo pants. I decided to do this my oldest/worn/stained pair - after a thorough wash , but the wash did not remove all of the stains - just most of them.

I am only going to apply the SnoSeal up to the upper thighs, but not higher. I am thinking I want to leave the area above there to breathe as the area from thigh to waist needs to breathe, generates a lot of heat/moisture/etc. (TMI? - you get the idea), plus most of water resistance needs to be from the from the ankles to thighs - especially when walking thru wet grass/brush and snow.

I need to do some pressure washing so we'll see how the application holds up - I always get very wet when pressure washing.

Planted two apple trees, cherry bush, blueberries and thornless raspberry bushes. Also have an 8x8 green house and just built a a 3X6 planter box for square foot gardening. Will wait a week or two and plant carrots, parsnips, cabbage, beets and cauliflower. Will also harvest my pickling cucumbers and make and can some pickles. Next will be dehydrated meat.
What kind of apple and are they dwarf, semi-dwarf, or full size trees?

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top