JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Lately, been reversing my Tech use. Why I use very fast Pc's
The old ones use far less power. And I have been rebuilding my old pc and electronics. Replacing capacitors
Setting RF, GPS and EMF blocker to preserve it. I created a solar setup for these electronics.
So some may say, WTF, do you need computers for if the world begins to end.
Being most ppl do not use tech/prep. I would be in a position of having pretty advanced tech in a world depending
what causes such events. And all of these are power source switched. Meaning even a massive EMF would most likely hurt nothing.
But I work on this project daily. And to long to cover in a post.

...Being most ppl do not use tech/prep. I would be in a position of having pretty advanced tech in a world depending what causes such events...
Yes, however what benefit would such be?

Specifically:

-Would you rent out your tech & what would folks pay?
-Would these be rando's, or trusted family & friends?
-Have meetings where trusted family & friends, as a group could use your tech?
-What do you have saved already which could be useful to have in a tech-less world?

Then:

-How deep down the rabbit hole have you gone, do you have complete spares caged yet?
-Do you have spare solar controllers caged?
-Would solar panels benefit from being caged?
-Sine Wave generator computer controllers (boards/chips)?
-UPS computer controllers (boards/chips)?
-Gas soldering irons?
-Spare common chips/boards caged, to get other tech up post whatever?

Last Edited:

Specifically:

-What do you have saved already which could be useful to have in a tech-less world?

Then:

-How deep down the rabbit hole have you gone, do you have complete spares caged yet?
-Gas soldering irons?
In most scenarios we are expecting EMPs to be deployed. How does any of this matter if there is an EMP and what will this help if there not and we all still revert back to homesteads and trade skills? Other than scopes and security I have not thought about much of my shtf life being related to technology. Hence why I have a paper copy book on most the things I need to know. If there is still tech I can almost whole heartedly assure you, it wont be in civilian hands.🤷‍♀️

In most scenarios we are expecting EMPs to be deployed. How does any of this matter if there is an EMP and what will this help if there not and we all still revert back to homesteads and trade skills? Other than scopes and security I have not thought about much of my shtf life being related to technology. Hence why I have a paper copy book on most the things I need to know. If there is still tech I can almost whole heartedly assure you, it wont be in civilian hands.🤷‍♀️
Yup.

There is a bunch I could envision useful to have put back in tech, however no real idea on how to do it & still have it be useful. Without WWW.

Reference material, searchable. Far and away beyond what any one family could put back in paper form.

Many YouTube & such videos may be useful, however no idea on how to save them & make them searchable without an outside WWW.

Then of course family pics & vids.

Infotainment & entertainment.

Just some ideas.

Specifically:

Then:

-Gas soldering irons?
Without tilting my hand.
This goes back to 1979 to present.

This was not a whim of a project, but decades.
Something that doesn't fit 100% in a Firearms group.
Actually the questions you asked, were solved decades ago.
What I deal with now, is most people are losing their skills to navigate tech.
I would say that Osint and mass data hording abilities, are now easily done by NAS projects that now
do not take up a room anymore.

But everything you mention is already long resolved.
Hard for me to teach someone how this benefits, if they do not think it does. LOL.
Step back, and look at the big picture. Imagine many ppl doing the same as me?
And have done so in preparations for decades?
I posted the information of what I was doing.
But in the forum area here, impossible to simplify it as you had.

I am having fun. Already getting raspberry fruit off my bush and my potato plant is huge. I go outside and work for a while then come back in to rest and play on the net.

You would be amazed at how much fruit I have in such a small area. Cup of ripe berries on the first picking. :)

Made another pot of rice, I am a heck of a rice maker.:) Jasmine long grain.

Packaged up 3 quarts of freeze dried Chilli and 2 cans worth of chunky soup (needed to fill space on last tray). The Chilli was from a friend as a test where it will be a 50/50 of the final product...

Put a bit over 3 rotisserie chickens shredded in the freeze dryer...

6 more costco rotisserie chickens deboned and shredded, 3 for the week and 3 to freeze dry.

Might try hamburger helper but use shredded chickens instead of beef

Really happy with my potato plant. First try at them because the clay soil I have is too tight to grow spuds. I bought to sets of above ground metal containers and filled them with loose soil. Filled the net on how to plant a potato and my plants are running big and bushy. Will harvest after 4 weeks.

Love taters and they grow really easy so I will be growing them as often as I can.

Really happy with my potato plant. First try at them because the clay soil I have is too tight to grow spuds. I bought to sets of above ground metal containers and filled them with loose soil. Filled the net on how to plant a potato and my plants are running big and bushy. Will harvest after 4 weeks.

Love taters and they grow really easy so I will be growing them as often as I can.
I always grew potatoes when I had my big gardens. In the last garden I'd have up to 50 hills. I got in the neighborhood 250+ # from it. Always grew red potatoes because russets didn't seem to do as well. There WAS a taste difference to me. And growing like that you get all sizes. Baked large red spuds are just fine. I'd still grow some in containers but since losing taste and smell it's not worth the effort, and potatoes aren't all that great to me anymore.

I always grew potatoes when I had my big gardens. In the last garden I'd have up to 50 hills. I got in the neighborhood 250+ # from it. Always grew red potatoes because russets didn't seem to do as well. There WAS a taste difference to me. And growing like that you get all sizes. Baked large red spuds are just fine. I'd still grow some in containers but since losing taste and smell it's not worth the effort, and potatoes aren't all that great to me anymore.
My favorite vegetables to grow are tomatoes and lemon cucumbers, I get a good harvest if I stay at it. Being old and retired there isn't many around now to share a bounty with so I haven't put any real effort into a garden.

Have some berry bushes in big pots that are doing great and my potato plant. Just something to do I guess.

Fertilized my tomatoes. I have them in pots here at the RV park. The plants are doing well, but I'm getting some blossom rot on the bottom of the Brandywines. My usual remedy for that is packed away for another two weeks, so I'm hoping the tomato fertilizer will correct the issue. Threw the offending fruit in the trash.

I ordered the moving truck and trailer this morning to get our stuff from upstate Idaho to our new home this morning. We expect it to take more than one trip, but we should be able to get the bulk of it. Moving weekend is the weekend after Independence Day.

I also began a Costco list for after escrow closes. I'm so excited!

Also, there is a homesteading conference in CDA. Tickets are $149 for both days. Tons of good sessions. Unfortunately, we just aren't in a time or financial position to swing it this year. But here is the link if anyone is interested. We are hoping to attend next year. modern homesteading conference

Fertilized my tomatoes. I have them in pots here at the RV park. The plants are doing well, but I'm getting some blossom rot on the bottom of the Brandywines. My usual remedy for that is packed away for another two weeks, so I'm hoping the tomato fertilizer will correct the issue. Threw the offending fruit in the trash.
Blossom-end rot can be caused by several things. Main one for me is calcium and magnesium. I always add a good dose of bone meal and "Prilled Lime" to the planting hole. The other culprit that causes blossom-end rot is un-even watering. That's easy to do when planting in containers. I've never like doing vegetables, like tomatoes, in pots. Too much work. You have to be really keyed in on water and nutrient needs. I've had tomato plant roots run 4' before and I just don't want to mess with with container grown. but of you don't have a choice? Just sayin it's much more involved than just sticking a plant in the ground and putting a cage on it.

My favorite vegetables to grow are tomatoes and lemon cucumbers
I do well with Tomatoes and Onions. Trying to do a "Shish Ka Bob" Garden so Toms, Onions, Bell Peps and Zooks.

But Have had terrible luck with Bell Peppers. Bugs eat 'em down to the dirt. They don't touch anything else.

Is it me or is it something about the PNW?

I do well with Tomatoes and Onions. Trying to do a "Shish Ka Bob" Garden so Toms, Onions, Bell Peps and Zooks.

But Have had terrible luck with Bell Peppers. Bugs eat 'em down to the dirt. They don't touch anything else.

Probably slugs. Put slug repellent/poison around the peppers and see if that helps. If you are growing in raised beds or pots, use copper mesh attached to the container side. I have used the mesh for years and no slug damage. Slugs will not pass the mesh - works better than salt.

I just can't eat bell peppers for some reason, never did like them. I have grown jalapeños in the past and love them but something about bell peppers I just can't eat them.

As far as bell peppers went, never been much of a fan. I used to grow Poblano and Anaheim, with one or two jalapenos. Roast slice and freezing worked very well. Much better than canned. If your a bell pepper lover growing your own should be the only way. I believe, correct me if I'm wrong, all store bought bell peppers are grown indoors now. No flavor. Like the terrible tomatoes in the stores.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top