JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hmmm ... lately been feeling the need to boost preps. Just odds and ends today:

• Picked up a truly g'yuge resupply of canned good. From ham to beans, to veggies to tamales, to soup to nuts, et al.
  • Looked, alas in vain, for more of that delightful .30 Carbine fodder from our South Korean friends and allies. I'll look some more, but it may have dried up. Such a pity, if so.
  • Made a few searches on appropriate M1 Rifle ammunition. I'm not sure how that wacky plan is going to work out as of yet, but doesn't hurt to look.
  • Resupplied the strategic cigar reserve. (No de Cuba; for the record.) Though, frankly, it is a vice I should boot poste haste; though that would leave me with few of those, consarn it.
  • Wifely side kick doing a separate supply run at the present. (Which frees me to my own devices. Mahahaha.)
  • Farted around with the radiological meters, etc. we have. The aforementioned member of the fair sex thinks I'm being ... let's go with overly cautious, rather than paranoid. (grunt)
  • Checked all the medical kits. Good to go. Forgot I wrangled that late last year.
  • Tried, and failed, to get into another preparedness book. Just not feeling it. I did a bunch of reading on the topic in 2022. And I'm kind of engrossed in a book about evolution, genetics and human behavior. Meh, who am I kidding, I'll circle back sooner than I think.
  • After working a bit this morning, back home and staving off cabin fever by hanging with my NWFA pals. :s0155:

Regarding radiological preps: I don't remember if we've talked about this stuff before. It's available on Amazon. It's more important for the growing kids, but it might help geezers too.

93AF48B9-0477-4BCE-BACB-C039B43BDFB8.jpeg

Well, my replacement EcoFlow power station failed today; stopped outputting AC power. It lasted about 18 days.

Got an RMA and will be sending it in for replacement/repair.
Note to self: Do not buy EcoFlow power stations... :s0002:

In my reckless ways I've injured myself bad enough where no standard size or even XL bandages would fit. Learned about these large silicon patches that work to extract dead tissue, blood, and misc mess with each change. Spend $75 on some. Also got some Laceration Closure "Bandages" for the next time I slash myself or step on glass.

Patches.JPEG

God help us.

MOSCOW, January 28. /TASS/. Russian Security Council Deputy Chairman Dmitry Medvedev has lambasted Western attempts to justify arms deliveries to Kiev as an alleged effort to prevent a world war.

"Firstly, defending Ukraine, which nobody needs in Europe, will not save the senile Old World from retribution if anything occurs. Secondly, once the Third World War breaks out, unfortunately it will not be on tanks or even on fighter jets. Then everything will definitely be turned to dust," Medvedev wrote on his Telegram channel on Saturday."

I have something to share.

I've been trying to keep my $3 garage sale food dehydrator running pretty much non stop since digging out of storage.
This is what 10-12 bananas looks like "conditioning"; it's a way to verify no moisture left. Leave in air tight container for 7 days and watch for moisture to buildup on walls. Glass jars are ideal for me too, because it's recommend to shake and/or stir every day. Then it's into longer term storage means if desired.

The reading I found said it is not necessary to add air or moisture absorbers to long term storage….. once dried well. But extra protection for little $$.

Man the bananas look/feel pretty different than freeze dried…. Ugly but tasty for sure. It's definitely banana candy now. Bananas are a really easy and cheap fruit to dry too.

Ps….. bananas do not rehydrate well….

PSs….Dried Grapes are raisins….. the shock on my face because I often overthink things and miss common knowledge sometimes. Haaaa

359A814E-5A8B-4894-AC4E-1132A7AB98AF.jpeg

I ordered more scripted meds.

Amazon Pharmacy is kind of weird; I had decided to turn on automatic refills and it kicked out the refill date about 6 months into the future (June2023) further than it should have (90 day refill should have been middle of January), so when it didn't actually refill as it should have, I ordered manually (I had to turn off the auto refill).

Then after it refilled (90 day supply), it immediately showed my next (and last) refill was available, so I ordered that too.

Now I will do my 6 month checkup with cardiologist and afterwards ask for a renewal and restart the clock on refills. As it is, right now I have a one year supply sitting in my med cabinet (more for a couple - the two meds that really count). If SHTF and meds are not in stock or can't be delivered, I am good for at least a year, for my daily heart/BP meds.
----
Ordered some SnoSeal - can't find the can I thought I had. I want to put it on some leather gloves I want to use for wood cutting/splitting.

Been using a lot of my firewood with the cold weather. Been below freezing here.

This is what 10-12 bananas looks like "conditioning"; it's a way to verify no moisture left. Leave in air tight container for 7 days and watch for moisture to buildup on walls. Glass jars are ideal for me too, because it's recommend to shake and/or stir every day. Then it's into longer term storage means if desired.

The reading I found said it is not necessary to add air or moisture absorbers to long term storage….. once dried well. But extra protection for little $$.

Man the bananas look/feel pretty different than freeze dried…. Ugly but tasty for sure. It's definitely banana candy now. Bananas are a really easy and cheap fruit to dry too.

Ps….. bananas do not rehydrate well….

PSs….Dried Grapes are raisins….. the shock on my face because I often overthink things and miss common knowledge sometimes. Haaaa

View attachment 1357180
Darn...the other day at the grocery they had free bananas. Boxes of them. Grabbed 3 bunches, which seemed excessive, then went in a shopped. Came out and they were all gone. 1 full pallet. I could have dehydrated them. Thanks for the reminder.

BTW: Heretic- Winco has solid water containers.

And if you make wine with raisins, you've saved years in the aging process... :)

I found a deal on a can of Mountain House FD Beef so I grabbed one and added it to the Zombie Outbreak/Asteroid Strike/Total Economic Collapse/WWIII pile

Put multiple layers of SnoSeal on my work boots. One took 3-4 layers before it wouldn't take more, the other took two - not sure why. I used to just spray them with Ballistol but I am not at all sure that was good for the leather, although it is said to be fine. I think the wax in SnoSeal is better for the leather, is probably a better protection and lasts longer.

God help us.

MOSCOW, January 28. /TASS/. Russian Security Council Deputy Chairman Dmitry Medvedev has lambasted Western attempts to justify arms deliveries to Kiev as an alleged effort to prevent a world war.

"Firstly, defending Ukraine, which nobody needs in Europe, will not save the senile Old World from retribution if anything occurs. Secondly, once the Third World War breaks out, unfortunately it will not be on tanks or even on fighter jets. Then everything will definitely be turned to dust," Medvedev wrote on his Telegram channel on Saturday."
Ukraine/Russia thread that away -> https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/russia-attacks-ukraine-ww3-imminent.404063/page-199

Put multiple layers of SnoSeal on my work boots. One took 3-4 layers before it wouldn't take more, the other took two - not sure why. I used to just spray them with Ballistol but I am not at all sure that was good for the leather, although it is said to be fine. I think the wax in SnoSeal is better for the leather, is probably a better protection and lasts longer.
I've used SnoSeal on my climbing and mountaineering boots for decades. It's always sealed them against snow/water intrusion expertly, and it has never deteriorated the leather. To me, this stuff is bomber - better than anything that's come out since.

These La Sportiva Makalus have been my go-to backpacking (and to a lesser degree, mountaineering) boot for 25+ years.
Still as tough as nails and waterproof as the day they were bought... in 1995...

La Sportiva Makalu.jpg

Ben
I've used SnoSeal on my climbing and mountaineering boots for decades. It's always sealed them against snow/water intrusion expertly, and it has never deteriorated the leather. To me, this stuff is bomber - better than anything that's come out since.

These La Sportiva Makalus have been my go-to backpacking (and to a lesser degree, mountaineering) boot for 25+ years.
Still as tough as nails and waterproof as the day they were bought... in 1995...

View attachment 1360007
I have a pair of Carhart bib overalls that are lined. I use these when working outside in snow or wet weather. Also when using the pressure washer. The legs get wet/soaked a lot and sometimes I sit on a wet stump/etc.

So I am taking the Sno Seal and slathering it on the overalls from the waist down. We'll see how that works. If it turns out okay then I will do some of my ripstop cargo work pants too.

Lastly, I have a decent lined Carhartt ranch coat and a lined ripstop shirt jacket that I would like to make waterproof. I will probably run out of Sno seal before I get done with the first pair of cargo pants.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top