JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I stocked up on Hefty bags and kitty litter for the "solids disposal" aspect of bugging in. Are you suggesting that the double-doody bags may be a better route?
Double -doody, surplus WAG bags & similar are great for dry camping. I figure they would also be good for a short term home sewage problem. As in a few days.

Bags & kitty litter are an inexpensive alternative. As such can likely use longer than shorter term. As in weeks, before looking into a more permanent outdoors system.

Whenever possible/feasible dispose of urine via night jar(s), separate bucket(s) etc. Helps cut down odors regardless of temporary system used.

I stumbled onto these at Walmart in the camping isle:

71-MYN9fM0L[1].jpg

I bought a couple boxes to toss in the GHB's. Going to buy some more to fortify my first aid kits. A LOT less expensive than clotting sponges. I think I paid like $5.50 for a 2-pouch box.

Ordered half a dozen Fat .50 ammo cans on a BOGO sale on SG.

I like those "Fat .50" cans. Sure they cost about 40% more for 35% more storage space, but they are more convenient for some sizes of ammo boxes. I like to not waste space in ammo cans while still keeping ammo in its original boxes. Between the .30, .50 and "Fat .50" cans I can load them with ammo such that the can has the max amount of ammo while still being not too heavy to move.

The three scenarios I can think of for having to move cans of ammo from storage to somewhere else, are:

1) Moving ammo to a gun emplacement.
2) Moving ammo from my shop to my home.
3) Moving ammo from my shop to my vehicle (for evacuation).

Everyone in who would be at my home during SHTF would have a bad back and other health issues, so anything larger than Fat .50, loaded with heavy ammo, would be a severe issue. I do have larger surplus cans (20mm, 40mm & 120mm), but they won't be loaded with ammo - they will be for storing other things that I want to keep in a watertight durable container - such as tools and supplies in my truck.

I typically only use .30 cal cans for rifle and pistol ammo, to keep weight down. I use 40mm for shotgun rounds. Sort of heavy, but not too bad with only around 300 rds per can.
I love the 40mm cans for other storage, good size, and about perfect dept for fit on my steel storage shelving.

I typically only use .30 cal cans for rifle and pistol ammo, to keep weight down. I use 40mm for shotgun rounds. Sort of heavy, but not too bad with only around 300 rds per can.
I love the 40mm cans for other storage, good size, and about perfect dept for fit on my steel storage shelving.
I was able to stuff 250 2.75" shells into a Fat 50 can - was very heavy (for me).

I am transferring all ammo in plastic "cans" to metal cans and using the plastic cans for other stuff that is much lighter. I noticed that the Plano "cans" will come unsealed when lifting them with ammo inside. MTM is better, but I decided to not risk it.

Are those utility jugs BPA free? It does not say in the descrption looking at the website. We don't have any Bi-Mart close by. The near one is in Port Orchard, WA for me.
Made of HDPE which is BPA free.

I just found the Reliance 7 gallon container on SG for $19 - I will order one to see how I like it. Not sure about the vent cap.

The Tuff Jugs are really HD thick - made for throwing around.

I've had poor experience with other jugs being thin plastic and leaking.

I was able to stuff 250 2.75" shells into a Fat 50 can - was very heavy (for me).

I am transferring all ammo in plastic "cans" to metal cans and using the plastic cans for other stuff that is much lighter. I noticed that the Plano "cans" will come unsealed when lifting them with ammo inside. MTM is better, but I decided to not risk it.
I typically use metal ammo cans but have few 50 cal MTM ones and take one to the gun range loaded with ammunition that I will shoot.

Bags & kitty litter are an inexpensive alternative. As such can likely use longer than shorter term. As in weeks, before looking into a more permanent outdoors system.
That was the plan. If it came to multiple weeks, then a hole would get dug in the back yard and the bags would get dumped in there.
Whenever possible/feasible dispose of urine via night jar(s), separate bucket(s) etc. Helps cut down odors regardless of temporary system used.
That was the plan with urine, too. Just piss into a bottle while simultaneously droppin'' a deuce, throw in some kitty litter, and dump the pee bottle outside.

For dry camping - maybe.

I have the home sewage issue covered as long as I have a water source; I have a septic system.
Until I buy and move to Idaho, I'm stuck with a city water and sewerage system, so I have to make plans as if both of those went off-grid. hence the water storage and the Hefty bags/kitty litter/piss bottle. Once I have my redoubt set up, it will be spring and/or private well and septic system, like you. I have to have a workable system no matter where I am, for however long.

Made of HDPE which is BPA free.

I just found the Reliance 7 gallon container on SG for $19 - I will order one to see how I like it. Not sure about the vent cap.

The Tuff Jugs are really HD thick - made for throwing around.

I've had poor experience with other jugs being thin plastic and leaking.
I get my Reliance water cans at Sportsman's Whorehouse for the same price. I'm not too worried about the vent. I find the tap inside the main cap to be decent. Short of dropping them from height full of water, I have yet to see them split. Post your findings here, as I will be interested to see if you made them fail.

I get my Reliance water cans at Sportsman's Whorehouse for the same price. I'm not too worried about the vent. I find the tap inside the main cap to be decent. Short of dropping them from height full of water, I have yet to see them split. Post your findings here, as I will be interested to see if you made them fail.
I had some jugs years ago that are of similar design (squarish) to the Reliance (maybe the same manufacturer, I do not know. They were smaller and were blue. Just moving them about over the years resulted in cracks in the thin plastic.

I had some jugs years ago that are of similar design (squarish) to the Reliance (maybe the same manufacturer, I do not know. They were smaller and were blue. Just moving them about over the years resulted in cracks in the thin plastic.
So, the ones you had were a thin blue plastic? These are some pretty beefy, thick, HDPE.
I don't wanna write how thick and beefy it is, cuz I'm sure whatever I write will end up in "that thread", if'n ya know what I mean...

Until I buy and move to Idaho, I'm stuck with a city water and sewerage system, so I have to make plans as if both of those went off-grid. hence the water storage and the Hefty bags/kitty litter/piss bottle. Once I have my redoubt set up, it will be spring and/or private well and septic system, like you. I have to have a workable system no matter where I am, for however long.
If my poorer relations in the Deep South heard you talking about your bags, kitty litter, and pee-bottle they'd probably whistle and say "Man, you shore are livin' in tall cotton".

Then they would tell you about their even poorer relations who "don't have a pot to pee in, ner a winder to throw it out of".

I must've been ten or twelve years old when my grandparents in Arkansas got "indoor plumbing". Until then, we used an outhouse and bathed in a few inches of rainwater in a big galvanized washtub. Good times. Miserable, but good.

I suppose we might have to go back to using outhouses someday. But I hope not.

Last Edited:
I stumbled onto these at Walmart in the camping isle:

View attachment 1343024

I bought a couple boxes to toss in the GHB's. Going to buy some more to fortify my first aid kits. A LOT less expensive than clotting sponges. I think I paid like $5.50 for a 2-pouch box.
It is my understanding that those are essentially like putting cement in your wound. It would be alright for a topical application, but I wouldn't use it with a severe gash if I could avoid it. I've heard stories of medical professionals having to cut the cement out of people to deal with the injury. But I guess if it is that or bleed to death, the BleedStop is what I would go with.

A few years ago, I invested in the plastic .50 cal Cabelas brand cases. The intention is that they stack very nicely due to the indentations on the top of them. All the same size. I just sharpie on the outside what is in them and how much for inventory purposes.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top