JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Packaged and vacuum sealed 2 of each half gallon jars of chicken breast and taco ground beef both freeze dried.

20220910_082342.jpg

What's the estimated shelf life?
Up to 25yrs properly packaged, away from heat, light, and air, upwards of that 25yrs. For me, I'll probably cycle foods in the 10/15yr range...
Roughly 25 years
Up to 25yrs, the higher the fat content, the lower the shelf life, the chicken will last longer than the taco meat...

If your wanting to check pricing on the home freezer dryers, be sure and call Lincoln City Sporting Goods. They typically beat the pricing of anyone around.

Preparing to deal with increasingly dumb and dumber people on a weekly basis now.

These people are actually dumber than the Idiocracy movie's prediction of 484 years from now.

Last Edited:
I took the old Mosin out for a bit of a run. Post #39 in this thread.

Aloha, Mark

2 boxes of stroganoff in 4lbs of found beef in the freeze dryer plus 3/4 cup of BBQ sauce (have to dilute it in 4 times as much water due to sugar content).

Light load for the freeze dryer, should be a quick run...

What country does the Queen of England come from?? ..... Originally?? HAHAHA had to watch that again.

ORPackrat - really awesome. The one thing I really love about freeze dried is its shelf life and durability. Especially the fact that unlike canned goods don't have to worry about freezing. Many years ago I learned that lesson the hard way.

ORPackrat - really awesome. The one thing I really love about freeze dried is its shelf life and durability. Especially the fact that unlike canned goods don't have to worry about freezing. Many years ago I learned that lesson the hard way.
Yeah, that's why I don't store my canned goods in the shop, even though it rarely freezes here for very long. I could probably put some of them in some insulated chests. The shop itself is insulated, just not very well. I might try that this winter. Temps don't drop below freezing for very long - I have noticed that drinking water left in my vehicles doesn't freeze.

I am putting most of my non-canned shelf stable food in totes in the shop. Also, I tested some retort pouches and they froze fine without the slightest hint of bursting. It is all about the water content; I put some milk jugs filled with water in the freezer and those expanded quite a bit, more than when they had water in them, but they did not burst - the Lactaid jugs are thicker than your typical milk jug.

Anyway, yesterday I stocked up on some food, and my freezer is now full. I had chiro/massage yesterday and the MT was much better than the previous MT, so I have extended my visits out to once a month. So I want/need to have enough non-shelf stable groceries for a month - e.g., dairy, etc..I also got some farina/et. al. that was on sale.

I also noticed that dairy products are up about 30-50% from previous prices.

Yeah, that's why I don't store my canned goods in the shop, even though it rarely freezes here for very long. I could probably put some of them in some insulated chests. The shop itself is insulated, just not very well. I might try that this winter. Temps don't drop below freezing for very long - I have noticed that drinking water left in my vehicles doesn't freeze.

I am putting most of my non-canned shelf stable food in totes in the shop. Also, I tested some retort pouches and they froze fine without the slightest hint of bursting. It is all about the water content; I put some milk jugs filled with water in the freezer and those expanded quite a bit, more than when they had water in them, but they did not burst - the Lactaid jugs are thicker than your typical milk jug.

Anyway, yesterday I stocked up on some food, and my freezer is now full. I had chiro/massage yesterday and the MT was much better than the previous MT, so I have extended my visits out to once a month. So I want/need to have enough non-shelf stable groceries for a month - e.g., dairy, etc..I also got some farina/et. al. that was on sale.

I also noticed that dairy products are up about 30-50% from previous prices.
The other concern for long term storage dry/freeze dry foods is heat.

If your shop tends to get over 80F routinely during hot spells, you might want to consider ways to mitigate such. If you haven't allready.

Will it all still be edible if such is not mitigated? Sure!

However taste, quality of nutrition & such MAY deteriorate.

We're rite in the midst of combining households. So I moved our LTS dry & freeze dried foods to a climate controlled indoor storage unit, rather than going for a standard unit where the temps would fluctuate widely.

-Offsite storage isn't the best idea by far! However "it is what it is" given our circumstance. It may be short term (months), however more than likely I'm thinking it will be midterm (year or so).

^^ Seek out the exercise thread. We'll motivate you!

OK OT, but damn I am not kidding about having to prepare to deal with more and more idiots daily. Some are young business managers with fancy titles, etc.

Last Edited:
  • 128 push-ups
  • Walked up the nearby hills and around my neighborhood for 30 minutes wearing my GHB
  • Installed a stove jack in my tent
  • Bought a tent floor mat
  • Replaced some wear parts on one of the cars
  • Saved for retirement (not sure if this will ever do me any good...)
  • Secured my gates and put barbed wire on top of them
  • Installed a hidden series start switch in my vehicle
  • Swapped my GHB clothing from warm weather to cold weather
  • Bought some extra wool socks

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show