JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The Indians used salal berries to treat ailments of the digestive system. Indians made fruit leather out of slurried berries, dried it on cedar boards or skunk cabbage leaves ("Indian wax paper"). Salal berry fruit leather will keep up to one year.

Salal leaves, when dried, can be used to make a medicinal tea for many uses. More: http://wildfoodsandmedicines.com/salal/

You can eat the young leaves of salal, like greens in a salad or whatever. I choose not to do this, it goes against my preference for the plant to spread and therefore generate more berries. Our property is mostly forested, we have some nice areas of understory that consist mainly of salal and sword ferns. And a little Oregon grape. You can also make jam or jelly out of Oregon grape.

Might as well make use of that we've got.
Lot's of Salal in the PNW forests from the Cascades to the coast. I forget if there is much in the mountains on the east side.

1660071054091.png

Something to add to your list is wild lettuce - it's sap can be used for pain relief. It's chemically similar to opium, but is not as powerful and not addictive.
For you experts, recommendation for a favorite book on PNW edible and homeopathic plants?
Been stepping up my food forest and learning a bit about medicinals. Just learned this spring hostas were edible. The sprouts taste like a mild mix of asparagus and green beans. surprised the fam when I sautéed some up. They didn't believe me.
Got a group of moringa trees started from seed for me and some friends. They grow impressively fast!
I was a scout in my youth, but still amazed at the stuff around I have no idea about.

Took the new shotgun out for a short set of operational testing, testing a few types of shells I have around. From slugs to low velocity bird shot...

At 50yds the factory red dot was ringing steel with slugs without adjustments...

Found that 1190fps shot was the only to have failure to feed once, everything else cycled perfect.

Got a 5rd extension ordered, to make it a 10+1 capacity, Girsan MC 312 Tactical...

Get to try out some Freeze Dried Watermelon when I get home...

Tested the small (2KW) genset.

If left on eco mode when plugging in the freezer, the genset will quit. So I turned eco mode off and then plugged in the freezer, for about 10 seconds it went in and out of overload, then settled down as the freezer got up to speed. Then I turned on eco mode and it ran ok thereafter idling down. The freezer only consumes 300 watts so it should be ok long term.

A cheap used one from a random facebook user in a wal-mart parking lot :s0114:

This is what I had
IMG_1082.JPG
This is what I purchased. It's honestly a little larger than I wanted. But it will do for now. Maybe if I find one more my size, I will gift this one to my husband.

IMG_1083.JPG

I like that the whole thing opens like a clamshell.

IMG_1084.JPG

IMG_1085.JPG

I did not bother researching the brand. It wasn't listed in the ad and for $35, I didn't really care. I really only cared about cleanliness of it (as I share a picture with a dead pine-needle on my sofa, LOL)

edit: apparently I should have as this looks like a wal-mart special and sells for about $35-$40 new. Live and learn.

Last Edited:
I really only cared about cleanliness of it (as I share a picture with a dead pine-needle on my sofa, LOL)
..."a" dead pine needle...? As in "single" dead pine needle...?? As in "one and only one" dead pine needle...??? Angie... please... :rolleyes:

For you experts, recommendation for a favorite book on PNW edible and homeopathic plants?
Been stepping up my food forest and learning a bit about medicinals. Just learned this spring hostas were edible. The sprouts taste like a mild mix of asparagus and green beans. surprised the fam when I sautéed some up. They didn't believe me.
Got a group of moringa trees started from seed for me and some friends. They grow impressively fast!
I was a scout in my youth, but still amazed at the stuff around I have no idea about.
Here are the favorites from my library:
Pacific Northwest Medicinal Plants: Identify, Harvest, and Use 120 Wild Herbs for Health and Wellness
Rosemary Gladstar's Medicinal Herbs: A Beginner's Guide
Pacific Northwest Foraging: 120 Wild and Flavorful Edibles from Alaska Blueberries to Wild Hazelnuts
Edible & Medicinal Plants of West

Got some dehydrated beef. Hope I'll never need it 10 yrs in. Can't recall who recommended the company from here. Free delivery. Took about a week. Says 25yr shelf life. Should make the beans and rice taste better.

Moved my freeze drier to a new room, setup one of my racks, mostly candies to sell and gift for now, some food, going to FD about 4lbs of taco beef and 5lbs of shredded chicken tonight...

20220907_140259.jpg 20220907_140252.jpg

How do you like the freeze dryer? Is it worth it!? My wife and I are thinking of splitting the cost of one with her mom.
Absolutely worth it, there is a dealer on the Oregon Coast (Lincoln City) that has the best prices around (beats harvest right and any other seller), they have it dropshipped, plus bought in Oregon, beat sales taxes...

Never get the small, medium or large, large fits quite a bit more food per run but the large requires a designated 20a breaker and 20a outlet (not everyone can put the outlet in so the medium size is the most common)...

Check your states cottage laws to see if you can sell candy (can offset the cost of the machine)..

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top