What did you do today to prep?

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by coctailer, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Texfisher33

Texfisher33
    Tri-Cities, WA

Picked up some basic med supplies at the $ store, few more cans of veggies, and bought an MSR miniworks water filter.

2. Sun195

Sun195
    Pugetropolis, WA

Bought a bucket of Shelf Reliance quick rolled oats. Supposed to have a 25-year shelf life; 297 servings @ 170 calories per serving. We'll see what shape it arrives in - I had two buckets of oats from Augason Farms that looked like they got run over by a fork-lift (probably just pressure difference).

Refilled my spare propane tank.

Also changed all the batteries in my smoke detectors.

3. Stomper

Stomper
    SCREW YOU SALEM!!
    SCREW YOU SALEM! Gold Supporter

That reminds me... I was just looking at bags of rolled oats (one of my favorite foods, BTW) in the local Bi-Mart this weekend and was wondering what the shelf life of that would be as factory packed in the sealed, heavy paper bag. I couldn't find a "use by date"... any input on the shelf life of rolled oats stored in the store-shelf bag, in a dry, sunlight sheltered, 68-75*F environment, w/o the plastic buckets and oxy-eaters?

4. Sun195

Sun195
    Pugetropolis, WA

According to this article, maybe up to 28 years. I like the buckets because they store well, keep critters out of them, etc.

5. Stomper

Stomper
    SCREW YOU SALEM!!

Thanks for that info! Do you also (personally) put an oxy-eater on top of the oats when sealed in the bucket?

6. ATCclears

ATCclears
    Seattle area, WA

This is perhaps an unusual one. I had the septic tank pumped at the house, such that at least that aspect of life will be functional for another 2.5 years.

Peter

7. knuckle Head

knuckle Head
    southeast

Hey it works for me, it is actually something a lot of people are really over due on, and in a crisis are going say oh SH!t

8. bnz43

bnz43
    eugene

I planted peas ,its time get m in!

Bunny and (deleted member) like this.
  9. Mark W.

Mark W.
    Silverton, OR
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Did this last week but forgot to mention it. I had a checkup with my Doc for my various maladies And I asked him if he would mind helping me out with the amount in my precriptions. I told him I wanted to be able to stash a 10-14 day supply of pills and if I am having to refill every 30 days that becomes very difficult. So he changed the prescriptions to 90 days Which I can now put a 10 day supply away and on average have much larger supply should something happen that would prevent me from refilling.

10. Stomper

Stomper
    SCREW YOU SALEM!!

That is one aspect of life I'm definately blessed in. At nearly 45, I enjoy excellent health and am not tied to any prescription meds. My mom & dad would be up poo-poo creek for the myriad prescriptsions they take... Dad is a type-1 diabetic and his legs/feet are knackered, mom is a type-2 caused by lifestyle and poor dietaey habits, and she suffered a stroke a couple years back and takes meds for that.... Me, the only thing I take is ibuprophen for life's aches and pains that comes with middle age... Oh, yeah and a morning cuppa coffee for the daily kick start. That reminds me, I have to add freeze fried instant coffee to my stores!

11. knuckle Head

knuckle Head
    southeast

Just buy some instant coffee off the shelf in a sealed container, if you put it a mylar bag with an oxygen absorber or vacuum seal, I came across some I sealed up ten years ago for a backpacking trip, that gotten shoved into my a rubber storage container and forgotten about. I said what the heck I tried it, it was fine tasted no different, beside I bring my water to a boil for instant coffee anyways so that would kill 99% of any germs.

12. coop44

coop44
    Tacoma ,WA

started buying 5 weeks of groceries every 4 weeks a few months back. Use up the oldest first, so everything is fresh. now I have a months worth in reserve. At this rate I will have to start working on more storage.

13. knuckle Head

knuckle Head
    southeast

Excellent, Congratulations!!!!!!!!

14. wedge556

wedge556
    seattle

Went to the doctor and got a physical and a tet**** shot. (good for ten years) Bulked up the items in my every day carry first aid kit and bought a new pistol light. Also bought a new pair of running shoes. Gotta get back into shape....

15. thewhitebuffalo83

thewhitebuffalo83
    Gresham/Boring

I picked up a used sub-2000 to complement my G19. I picked up the G17 sub-2000 so I am going to have to pay to have the grip cut down or do it myself. For it being the Glock 17 version it sure has a short grip comparatively.

16. Riot

Riot
    Benton County, Washington

Giving this a try...

celery-and-onions-12-december-2011.jpg

Apparently you can continuously grow green onions and celery in a cup of water next to the window...

17. Stomper

Stomper
    SCREW YOU SALEM!!

Please be sure to post updates on this!

18. mjbskwim

mjbskwim
    Salmon,Idaho
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

got more brass powder and pills

19. Riot

Riot
    Benton County, Washington

Well the green onions grow like wild fire...over and over again. I just had to trim them down and throw away the greens just a few days ago. It works great which made me look into the celery. Still in the new phase with the celery- I think that will take much longer to grow.

20. Sun195

Sun195
    Pugetropolis, WA

Bought some Ciprofloxacin and Potassium Iodide pills - never know when they might come in handy.

Also, picked up some more 5.56 ammo at the gun show - always buy some ammo when I see it.