JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Bought a bucket of Shelf Reliance quick rolled oats. Supposed to have a 25-year shelf life; 297 servings @ 170 calories per serving. We'll see what shape it arrives in - I had two buckets of oats from Augason Farms that looked like they got run over by a fork-lift (probably just pressure difference).

Refilled my spare propane tank.

Also changed all the batteries in my smoke detectors.

Bought a bucket of Shelf Reliance quick rolled oats. Supposed to have a 25-year shelf life; 297 servings @ 170 calories per serving. We'll see what shape it arrives in - I had two buckets of oats from Augason Farms that looked like they got run over by a fork-lift (probably just pressure difference).

Refilled my spare propane tank.

Also changed all the batteries in my smoke detectors.

That reminds me... I was just looking at bags of rolled oats (one of my favorite foods, BTW) in the local Bi-Mart this weekend and was wondering what the shelf life of that would be as factory packed in the sealed, heavy paper bag. I couldn't find a "use by date"... any input on the shelf life of rolled oats stored in the store-shelf bag, in a dry, sunlight sheltered, 68-75*F environment, w/o the plastic buckets and oxy-eaters?

That reminds me... I was just looking at bags of rolled oats (one of my favorite foods, BTW) in the local Bi-Mart this weekend and was wondering what the shelf life of that would be as factory packed in the sealed, heavy paper bag. I couldn't find a "use by date"... any input on the shelf life of rolled oats stored in the store-shelf bag, in a dry, sunlight sheltered, 68-75*F environment, w/o the plastic buckets and oxy-eaters?

According to <broken link removed> , maybe up to 28 years. I like the buckets because they store well, keep critters out of them, etc.

Did this last week but forgot to mention it. I had a checkup with my Doc for my various maladies And I asked him if he would mind helping me out with the amount in my precriptions. I told him I wanted to be able to stash a 10-14 day supply of pills and if I am having to refill every 30 days that becomes very difficult. So he changed the prescriptions to 90 days Which I can now put a 10 day supply away and on average have much larger supply should something happen that would prevent me from refilling.

That is one aspect of life I'm definately blessed in. At nearly 45, I enjoy excellent health and am not tied to any prescription meds. My mom & dad would be up poo-poo creek for the myriad prescriptsions they take... Dad is a type-1 diabetic and his legs/feet are knackered, mom is a type-2 caused by lifestyle and poor dietaey habits, and she suffered a stroke a couple years back and takes meds for that.... Me, the only thing I take is ibuprophen for life's aches and pains that comes with middle age... Oh, yeah and a morning cuppa coffee for the daily kick start. That reminds me, I have to add freeze fried instant coffee to my stores!

Just buy some instant coffee off the shelf in a sealed container, if you put it a mylar bag with an oxygen absorber or vacuum seal, I came across some I sealed up ten years ago for a backpacking trip, that gotten shoved into my a rubber storage container and forgotten about. I said what the heck I tried it, it was fine tasted no different, beside I bring my water to a boil for instant coffee anyways so that would kill 99% of any germs.

started buying 5 weeks of groceries every 4 weeks a few months back. Use up the oldest first, so everything is fresh. now I have a months worth in reserve. At this rate I will have to start working on more storage.

Went to the doctor and got a physical and a tet**** shot. (good for ten years) Bulked up the items in my every day carry first aid kit and bought a new pistol light. Also bought a new pair of running shoes. Gotta get back into shape....

Giving this a try...

celery-and-onions-12-december-2011.jpg

Apparently you can continuously grow green onions and celery in a cup of water next to the window...

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top