JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'd say gardening counts, put in 4 tomato plants, 2 pea plants, 2 squash, 2 cucumber, 2 honey dew and 1 pumpkin. I already have a dozen different herbs (not the wacky kind) in pots.

I'm looking forward to getting into canning.

I'd say gardening counts, put in 4 tomato plants, 2 pea plants, 2 squash, 2 cucumber, 2 honey dew and 1 pumpkin. I already have a dozen different herbs (not the wacky kind) in pots.

I'm looking forward to getting into canning.
Better get your jars and lids now.

Sorted out a few holes in bleed kits and vehicle bags.
Added a few things and ordered a few more.
Slowly adding 100ft lengths of survivor cord to all my kits as well.
Also got a survival auger tool to try. I have full size ones but not a simple carry style.
We shall see. Going out for 4 days next week to try a few things out.

Stocked up on canned protein sources (sardines on sale)

Hit they gym 5x this week, worked on some cardio as well

Picked up a Finnish M39 and some ammo to add to the collection

Added a new Sawyer filter to one of my bags. Need to pick up a few of these

Bought and filled 4 more 7 gallon jugs from Bi-Mart (my prep shopping go to)

Planning on hitting the range Monday to practice with my EDC

Got my Starlink dish/system.

Now I have a system to access the internets that is not dependent on local infrastructure (which is vulnerable to power outages and other risks - e.g., damage to the cables/fiber, etc.). Eventually Starlink will have most of its satellites that can link to each other via laser and that system itself will be less dependent on ground stations, especially regional ground stations.

My goal is to have internet access that I can use if there is a widespread regional event - e.g., PNW power outages due to winds/ice/snow/earthquake/wildfire/etc. - being able to communicate using conventional means (texting and emailing) and having sources of news, within and outside of a region is helpful in a regional emergency event.

I can also move the system pretty much anywhere in North America and power it from batteries & solar panels - it only draws 40-50 watts of power. One 100 watt solar panel and a car battery with inverter, should be able to power it during the day. Going to test it today to see if my small infrared camo cloth will interfere much with the dish.

Going to Costco later, plan to get 4 or more rotisserie chickens to de-bone and freeze dry...

Loaded up 9 new mags for my new AK. Think I need to get more mags...

Well......last night my son and I started reloading a small lot of .308 Win. brass. Believe me.....

That's progress.

Yeah......my son loves to shoot. But this is (I believe) the first time that I've seen him want to actually reload ammo for himself. Yup.......I'm providing the components. Oh well? Maybe one day he will figure out......why I bought and stored ammo components when I found them "cheap enough."

Aloha, Mark

PS.....

How is using up supplies about prepping?

Well, it's also about passing on the lesson(s)/knowledge to the next generation.

Last Edited:
Costco started carrying Omeals meal packs. I was curious so I went to Omeals website and ordered a bunch to try. Self heating, five year shelf life. Turns out that they're pretty darned good. I just ordered the 24 pack from Costco. At $7.50/meal and free shipping it's not a bad deal.

Costco started carrying Omeals meal packs. I was curious so I went to Omeals website and ordered a bunch to try. Self heating, five year shelf life. Turns out that they're pretty darned good. I just ordered the 24 pack from Costco. At $7.50/meal and free shipping it's not a bad deal.
I've tried their pizza one and another or 2 just for fun. Taste wise, they are okay, but calorie wise, it's a snack not a meal and if I'm out and about. I need the calories and nutrition to be fueled for my activities..

Mountain house is not self heating but I can be filled by eating one of their packets and they are usually 700 calories or so.

I've tried their pizza one and another or 2 just for fun. Taste wise, they are okay, but calorie wise, it's a snack not a meal and if I'm out and about. I need the calories and nutrition to be fueled for my activities..

Mountain house is not self heating but I can be filled by eating one of their packets and they are usually 700 calories or so.
I've got plenty of the Mountain House single entrees and they're good. Those and the Omeals are good supplements to my other preps. If you keep the Omeals in the car, all you need is a bottle of water to heat them up. With the Mountain House you need a source of heat unless you want to wait for them to soak. The Omeals also has utensils inside as well.

Last Edited:
I've got enty of the Mountain House single entrees and they're good. Those and the Omeals are good supplements to my other preps. If you keep the Omeals in the car, all you need is a bottle of water to heat them up. With the Mountain House you need a source of heat unless you want to wait for them to soak. The Omeals also has utensils inside as well.
I have tossed them in for road trips to try out, the mountain house meals you don't have to use hot water, you can use cold water, it just takes about 3 times as long before eating...

Calories for the buck for individual go meals, mountain house wins, simple with nothing else but water needed, Omeals are better...

To each their own, it's still preps.

I have tossed them in for road trips to try out, the mountain house meals you don't have to use hot water, you can use cold water, it just takes about 3 times as long before eating...

Calories for the buck for individual go meals, mountain house wins, simple with nothing else but water needed, Omeals are better...

To each their own, it's still preps.
Hey that's super! Thanks for the wisdom.

Well......last night my son and I started reloading a small lot of .308 Win. brass. Believe me.....

That's progress.

Yeah......my son loves to shoot. But this is (I believe) the first time that I've seen him want to actually reload ammo for himself. Yup.......I'm providing the components. Oh well? Maybe one day he will figure out......why I bought and stored ammo components when I found them "cheap enough."

Aloha, Mark

PS.....

How is using up supplies about prepping?

Well, it's also about passing on the lesson(s)/knowledge to the next generation.
A lot of value to this post.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top