JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Added some "old school" to the mix, you know, just in case all the plastic guns are banned... 1EFA7198-A96C-4612-8E0E-C64DDBFA1DDD.jpeg

Yar, but the isopropyl is far less expensive. This purchase was more for the spray bottles as they are great. Buy most of our 91% from Walmart's, Best price by the qt.

If we were drinkers, perhaps some everclear or 151 would be put up. But nope.
You can also get gallon cans of alcohol at the hardware store. I am not sure if it is cheaper than Walmart's isopropyl, but you can buy denatured alcohol which is mostly ethanol with methanol added to make it poisonous. All alcohols are not the same and each has qualities that make them suitable for different applications.

You can also get gallon cans of alcohol at the hardware store. I am not sure if it is cheaper than Walmart's isopropyl, but you can buy denatured alcohol which is mostly ethanol with methanol added to make it poisonous. All alcohols are not the same and each has qualities that make them suitable for different applications.

Yah, but for safety sake we are sticking with isopropyl as mostly our use is hygiene, particularly hands. Counter tops and other standard hard surface quick cleans as well after a task.

Yah, but for safety sake we are sticking with isopropyl as mostly our use is hygiene, particularly hands. Counter tops and other standard hard surface quick cleans as well after a task.
Ethanol will work just as well as isopropyl, but does have a higher vapor pressure at room temperature (evaporates quicker). The low percentage of Methanol is really not a problem in denatured alcohol and is no more hazardous that isopropyl. Ethanol is also greener as it is made from corn (mostly), isopropyl is normally made from fossil fuels. Unless you are burning it in a alcohol stove, buy the cheapest of the two.

Ethanol will work just as well as isopropyl, but does have a higher vapor pressure at room temperature (evaporates quicker). The low percentage of Methanol is really not a problem in denatured alcohol and is no more hazardous that isopropyl. Ethanol is also greener as it is made from corn (mostly), isopropyl is normally made from fossil fuels. Unless you are burning it in a alcohol stove, buy the cheapest of the two.

Yah, faster evaporation is less beneficial for cleaning hard surfaces though.

Mind this is just "quick" cleaning, not to replace more thorough mechanical "scrub down" type cleaning though.

A reminder to all: alcohols will not kill some of the hardier bugs. So if someone in the house has a "stomach bug", bleach based cleaners are the preferred method for hard surfaces. Soap and water for hands.

Ordered a bunch of essential oils. My supplier always has a good deal in December. Some are Christmas gifts, some are for me :D
Got my man to join my gym. Been going 3x a week for the past 2 weeks.

Ordered a bunch of essential oils. My supplier always has a good deal in December. Some are Christmas gifts, some are for me :D
Got my man to join my gym. Been going 3x a week for the past 2 weeks.
Speaking of essential oils, I made my first batch of hot chili oil the other day. It's so awesome!

Forget about this recipes "numbing peppers" or whatever he's saying.. it's essentially just hot oil poured over pulsed chili flakes. with a dash of garlic powder and salt added to taste when cool

Yah, faster evaporation is less beneficial for cleaning hard surfaces though.

Mind this is just "quick" cleaning, not to replace more thorough mechanical "scrub down" type cleaning though.

A reminder to all: alcohols will not kill some of the hardier bugs. So if someone in the house has a "stomach bug", bleach based cleaners are the preferred method for hard surfaces. Soap and water for hands.
Alcohol will eventually kill the bugs, but you would have to soak whatever you are disinfecting in it for a while. In the Biochemistry lab, Lysol is still the preferred bug killer, including viruses. It was hospital/laboratory grade and I can't remember what the formulation was. It is available in large quantities and diluted to specific use. It is similar to the household cleaner. We also had a chemical that would destroy all biologicals. We used it to clean glassware and tools when isolating DNA. Mixed it in a fume hood and handled with great care - pretty deadly stuff. I always got that job due to my nuclear experience.

Ordered a case of peppermint Altoids. Husband suffers from IBS and these have peppermint oil in them and help. We keep them in all three cars, at work and of course, at home. Also ordered a case of ABD pads for the first aid bin.

Ordered a case of peppermint Altoids. Husband suffers from IBS and these have peppermint oil in them and help. We keep them in all three cars, at work and of course, at home. Also ordered a case of ABD pads for the first aid bin.

If not already done so; get him off dairy, gluten, eggs, grain-fed meat, and pork. ;)

Oh, yes. No dairy or gluten. Hamburger is okay, steak is not. We don't eat a lot of pork anyway. Mostly chicken and fish, brown rice . . . and tacos. :D He quit the beer and caffeine recently also, which has helped immensely. Poor guy. He likes not having a beer gut anymore, though, so do I ;) It's just whiskey, wine or vodka now. Moscow mules. Ginger beer and vodka. Gotta use Ginger beer with real ginger though, not just flavor. We are learning all sorts of dietary tricks.

There is some pretty good gluten free pasta nowadays, that makes life easier. Sourdough bread is okay in small doses.

BTW, there is a company making lactose free sour cream and yogurt. This is good. Can't remember the name off the top of my head, but he eats a lot of that.

Oh, yes. No dairy or gluten. Hamburger is okay, steak is not. We don't eat a lot of pork anyway. Mostly chicken and fish, brown rice . . . and tacos. :D He quit the beer and caffeine recently also, which has helped immensely. Poor guy. He likes not having a beer gut anymore, though, so do I ;) It's just whiskey, wine or vodka now. Moscow mules. Ginger beer and vodka. Gotta use Ginger beer with real ginger though, not just flavor. We are learning all sorts of dietary tricks.

There is some pretty good gluten free pasta nowadays, that makes life easier. Sourdough bread is okay in small doses.

BTW, there is a company making lactose free sour cream and yogurt. This is good. Can't remember the name off the top of my head, but he eats a lot of that.

Yep, I'm never going back. Glad to see more people on the right track. The Blood Type Diet, my wife, and my daughter's proved it to me...

Today's mass-consumption products are anything but healthy.

It's amazing how much better a body and mind can function when the intestines and blood aren't prevented from absorbing the essential nutrients found in whole foods.

Everything was very difficult to give up; now I think of gagging when I pass by the bread section if a store...the smell of yeast, processed wheat and flour...:s0170:

Updated report ... Over Night Bug Out Bag ... Using A Bigger Bag ...

Still trying today to cram all the needful things into that too small over night back pack. Trying to rebuild the last grasp out the door 1-2 day over night BOB. Switching over from summer to winter. The problem remains all the needed bulky wintertime clothing.

I can imagine freezing just because some fore thought was not conducted with the winter stuff. Summer is easy. Water bug spray mosquito netting and some food. Winter means some shelter, keeping dry and hot food. Thus the problem. No cube age

So right now it looks like using the over night back pack is out. I do have some smaller duffel bags with back straps. Now that I have enough physical space inside the duffel to work with, everything should cram inside easily. Yeah HB: let's see how this works!

Will advise. Fun! :) This is looking more and more like an Earth Quake grab bag.

Edited extra added on more. Since from prior hard learned experience with ALL the ATM machines being down AND all the various stores unable to process credit cards at all does anybody have ideas how much cash money should be inside the bug out bag?

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR