JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Took all the rifles out for a family shooting day and to see which rifles still need tuning and refining.

Everything operated pretty well except for my SKS with the Tapco stock.

The quest continues to find a reliable magazine for it. I've tried two 30 round mags (One steel and one polymer) and just opened up a pair of tapco 20 rounders I ordered about a year ago.

I figured since my stock was a Tapco stock then I might have better luck with the tapco mags.

Unfortunately they jammed up just like the others.

Any suggestions for reliable after market SKS mags? (I'll never "Sporterize" another SKS again)

Jack, look online for the fixed Chinese "star" 20 rder, they are out there and work as well as the 10 rd mags. I have one tucked away for when I obtain another SKS (Likely when SHTF)

Today I worked on getting my new assault pack properly set up for a week or so, medical, cleaning kit, oils, flashlights., Leatherman tool, fighting folder, firestarter pack, extra socks, balaclava, gloves, camo danna, roll of TP, etc

It's set up to take any 5.45/5.56/7.62 x 39/7.62 NATO mags I want depending on what weapon I draw

Hope the house is doing ok and the wind has settled some Erudne.

Cleaned the marlin model 60. That's one in top form, 7 to go!

Bought 60lbs of wheel weights processed into ingots for casting bullets.

Add that to the 100lbs I already have and I'm about 5% of the way toward my goal now that the federal govt regulated our last lead foundry in the United States out of business.

Radio update:
The Baofeng UV-5R's were easy to hand program using instructions I searched for on the Internet.

Handheld to handheld range over the mountains here was decent. 7 miles or so. (I haven't tested the distance further.)

I'm able to hit the local VHF (W7aia) repeaters from greater than 20 miles away and get good signal reports.

I ordered the external microphone and 14" upgraded antenna (I'll list all the part numbers in my next review)

The first USB programming cable I ordered said "Proframming cable for the Baofeng UV-5R handheld radio". DO NoT buy that one! It will not work because it has some Chinese pirated firmware chip in it and the driver won't work.

Buy the USB cable that is Baofeng branded. (It will say Baofeng on the cable)

I'll give a report on Proframming it with Chirp (Open source radio programming software) tomorrow too! It's way past my bed time and 5:00am comes awful quick.

Thanx for the tip! Went to both Sportsmans Guide and Sportmans Warehouse online... it was more expensive than what I paid at Bi-Mart and then there's shipping charges to boot. Sometimes though they have free shipping offers, and I can see where that could bring it closer at least... and you're right, at least it's THERE, they have it. I was just saying I was happy to pick up a big bunch of ammo at basically the old pre-shortage prices cash and carry no shipping, and jumped on it with both feet.
sportsmans has tons of 5.56 with no limits

the wind did abate, yard littered w/debris. Having propane kitchen range and a small genny was a god-send when the power puked. I also have a $10 head lamp, as well as a few electric lanterns that made life easier. I switched away from open flame lights due to a cat that nearly knocked one over years ago

Traded some dirty paper today for 2 ten ounce bars of silver, and one ounce gold eagle. Continued to rotate food stocks, moving all stuff purchased in 2009 to the front for current consumption, recent stuff to the back.

Thanx for the tip! Went to both Sportsmans Guide and Sportmans Warehouse online... it was more expensive than what I paid at Bi-Mart and then there's shipping charges to boot. Sometimes though they have free shipping offers, and I can see where that could bring it closer at least... and you're right, at least it's THERE, they have it. I was just saying I was happy to pick up a big bunch of ammo at basically the old pre-shortage prices cash and carry no shipping, and jumped on it with both feet.

I was talking about the store front, the one in salem had AE 62g green tip for $420 a 1000

Just bought new body armor, a side mount for my AK, sold an AR and starting to change most of my kit from .223 to 7.62x39 with .223 as a backup.

Got the AR500 Operator II with side armor and curved plates for $330
1966347_02_ar500_armor_operator_ii_w_leve_640.jpg

I am so excited, I've had this antique canner for 20 years and never done anything with it. Paid $25 for it. Last year, I got a new gasket, emergency blowout valve, and gauge. Last night, I used it for the first time. I kept reading the instructions over and over again, making sure I had it right. Nothing broke, nothing drained out, all 8 jars of organic carrots sealed perfectly :D

I have 20 pounds of potatoes and 10 pounds of yams left over from holiday bargains next in line. I am going to be a canning fool!

Just bought another 1000rds of 55 FMJ 223 at Sportsman.......they give military discount too. :) Also ordered a new tactical holster for the Glock, a bed holster and a 36" Goldenrod to keep the kids dry and rust free.

Stopped by Cabella's in Lacey on the way back from the rally in Olympia yesterday.

Picked up 3x100ct. 38/.357 125 grain JHP. These will make some sweet defense rounds and at $15 per 100ct bag it was a steal!

I have a whole canning kit I haven't even started working with yet... I really need to.

Yup you need to start canning. With the price of meats going sky high, not a bad thing to learn to can in the pressure canner. Wife and I have ordered more chicken to can and am looking forward to getting it in the jar. Taste is amazing when you open a jar of the canned chicken. Plus, the broth made from the canning process is wonderful too.

We just cut our chicken up into strips or chunks. Drop them into the quart sized jar, add salt and then the lids. Put the max in our pressure canner (8 quarts at a time) and get it going. Works good and is much cheaper than buying canned chicken for storage.

Sodbuster

Yup you need to start canning. With the price of meats going sky high, not a bad thing to learn to can in the pressure canner. Wife and I have ordered more chicken to can and am looking forward to getting it in the jar. Taste is amazing when you open a jar of the canned chicken. Plus, the broth made from the canning process is wonderful too.

We just cut our chicken up into strips or chunks. Drop them into the quart sized jar, add salt and then the lids. Put the max in our pressure canner (8 quarts at a time) and get it going. Works good and is much cheaper than buying canned chicken for storage.

Sodbuster

What would be a good resource for learning to can? Is there a web site or book you recommend?

All I have are a big pot/lid, some tongs and what appear to be a bottle rack that I picked up at a garage sale, and some pectin (I remember mom using this back in the day) and wax and canning jars I've picked up at Bi-Mart over time.

I also picked up a pressure cooker at another garage sale, but I don't think it's big enough to put jars into.

Oh! I see the gizmo on top of Angie's pressure cooker! Mine looks like hers, but a little smaller and is missing that screw in pressure gauge. Can I pick one of those up at a place like Bi-Mart? (Are they universal? If not, I'll probably have to scrap this pressure cooker.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top